Advantage Group vs Phobos Solutions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • West

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Baton Rouge, louisiana
    Looking to get some more training. It's been a while since I took a training course and I am looking to get some more in. I've taken VATA Tact Pistol Intro & Pistol I.

Since VATA doesn't offer as many courses as they used to, I was looking to get some input on who would be the better to take between Advantage Group & Phobos Solutions. They are close to the Baton Rouge area an offer classes in my time frame.

Is there another setup that does training locally that I am missing?

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I do not have experience with VATA, but I have taken many courses with Advantage Group - from intro level, up to VTAC-hosted Nightfighter classes and most in between. I have been nothing but satisfied with them.

ETA: My bad. I said VATA thinking Phobos. I have no experience with either one.

Last edited:

original07

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Metairie,LA
    As above mentioned I too have no experience with VATA. I do though have plenty of experience with Phobos Solutions. I have taken almost every course they offer. Lewis and Nick are absolutely the most professional knowledgeable instructors I have dealt with. Their attention to detail for you the shooter is nothing short of perfection. I have trained with them for 7 plus years and always walk away with something new that they taught me. Highly recommend.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    I would take a class from Phobos. I have taken instruction from both Lewis and Nick in my professional career, and both are well versed in their craft.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    No classes with Phobos, but I've taken VATA and Advantage Group classes. You would be fine with either one. Phobos and AG's classes will be similar to what you took for Tac Pistol 1.

If location is a concern, Phobos teaches out at MCTA, if I recall. Advantage Group is still out in the Hammond/Robert area.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Full Disclosure -

I count Lewis and Nick from Phobos as close friends. Nick actually worked for me for a while.

I don’t know Nate from Advantage at all and am not here to knock his training either.

Here’s my experience with Phobos. I have taken their Defensive Handgun 101, 201, and 301 numerous times (probably half a dozen times through DH 101). Same thing with Defensive Carbine 101, 201, and 301. I’ve taken Defensive Shotgun 101 twice, and Defensive AK 101 once. I’ve taken numerous skills classes. I used to do Pew and PT twice a week at 6AM with them at NOLATAC before the range closed.

Fair to say I have a fairly extensive body of experience training with them. If you don’t know my background, prior to being an attorney I was a narcotics detective, on DEA Task Force, and was on an entry team. So I have had training from other sources before.

You would be hard pressed to find better training anywhere in the country than what you get with Phobos. Most of the “celebrity” training classes are more experience and less training (there are exceptions to this rules, most notably Kyle Lamb)—-you go through the class, they give you a certificate, pat you on the ass, and tell you you did good whether you improved or not. Phobos is not like that. They are there to teach and they do. Put in the time and effort and commitment to train regularly with them and you will see tremendous results.

There is a very core group of Phobos guys who you will see at training regularly who are outstanding shooters (I do not put myself in the category, I am remarkably averagely proficient). Several of them have been training with Phobos for many years. They have one student who couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn when he started years ago but has now had top five finishes in Elite at the Tactical Games (granted he trains and dry fires constantly and has a work effort like no other, so his results are not typical but are very, very possible).

Lew was JPSO SWAT for over 20 years holding virtually every position on the team at one time or another and was also a firearms trainer and contractor oversees. Nick was also JPSO SWAT for many years. They are wonderful, caring teachers who come prepared for class and put in the effort to make you learn. You will sweat, you will work hard, you will fail, but you will learn.

They are the people I trust to train my family and I can give no higher endorsement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Liberty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    I started with VATA in 2010 and have been shooting with Phobos over the last several years and continue to do so. I do not have experience with Advantage. My training with Phobos has made me a more confident, accurate shooter on all platforms. I have participated in courses across all skill levels and I am confident that their training is as good as you will find anywhere.

First and foremost, they run a safe and disciplined range. Next, accuracy is stressed by closely examining fundamentals. Finally, they get to speed and tactics through well thought out courses of fire. Equipment knowledge is excellent and they encourage discussion during and after courses. Phobos offers excellent training for beginners and advanced gun toters.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Why not take both!? I have taken both and the same clases multiple times. I always walk away having learned something New. Both camps are legit and even tell students to go check out each others classes. If you want just a feel good burn down of ammo, these are not classes for you. Nate, Lewis,& Nick break it down to the Fundementals and make you think through the courses so that you can continue to put into practice what you have only scratched the surface of.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Both will be great experiences and you'll learn a lot. I've taken classes from Nate a few times and have shot with the Phobos guys once. They're good dudes.

Top Bottom