airgun advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Need advice on an airgun in the $100 - 150 range. I need to take out nutrias... yes bug ugly rats with orange teeth. Must be stealthy.

What should I get and where do I buy it. Cabelas has a gamo on sale for $159 but was wondering if they had something out there that was better or equal at a bit cheaper price.

thx

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    I love my Crosman Storm XT, which sells for about $109.00 at Wal-Mart. However, if stealth is a requirement, you may want to look at the Gamo Whisper. Lots of info is available on it.

I like the Crosman better because it's wood and metal, with no plastic to speak of. The Gamos are a bit plasticky for my taste, but that's just my opinion. They have very good reviews.

My gun isn't overly loud, but I wouldn't call it stealthy. Be advised that the first 10-20 shots from a new airgun will be LOUD! After that initial break-in, they settle down.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    based on your advice, I purchased a crosman storm xt. It was hard to find. I actually located one at the Wally mart at Cortana. As a side note they even lock up the pellets behind the counter!

How hard is it to set up the scope? I have never done this before. I know I have to sight it in but never mounted and sighted in without help.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    based on your advice, I purchased a crosman storm xt. It was hard to find. I actually located one at the Wally mart at Cortana. As a side note they even lock up the pellets behind the counter!

How hard is it to set up the scope? I have never done this before. I know I have to sight it in but never mounted and sighted in without help.
    Congratulations on your new airgun!

One of the few complaints about the Storm XT is that the factory scope rings suck. THEY DO SUCK, HARD!

Save yourself hours of grief, and for about $14.95 buy this very sturdy 1-piece scope mount. It works like a charm!

I too had never installed a scope before, and the 1-piece mount made it simple. Before that though, I'd felt like an idiot after struggling with the factory rings, only to witness my shots failing to hit paper, after doing so with the iron (plastic) sights! The factory rings are that flimsy - I could wiggle the scope freely even after tightening them well. The 1-piece mount is rock-solid, and more than worth its price.

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    I know its plastic but I had a Daisy 880 (880 ft per sec) when I was a kid and it took plenty of abuse. I bought another one about two months ago to train my 5 yr old. It has a scope rail on it. It has decent power for the price, shoots pellets and bb's and if you break it, just throw it away and get another one. It puts pellets thru my back fence no problem. Probably need a head shot on a nutria though. Get ready to run, I have seen them get mad and attack!!! lol

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Yah, get one of them BB machineguns if your going to hunt nutria with it.
    A head shot should anchor them if properly placed but you have little margin of error with an air rifle. The minimum I would use would be .22 CB Longs that shoot a 29gr bullet to around 700fps. I use those to hunt squirrels and it drops them and penetrates through them.

Born4spd

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    I know its plastic but I had a Daisy 880 (880 ft per sec) when I was a kid and it took plenty of abuse. I bought another one about two months ago to train my 5 yr old. It has a scope rail on it. It has decent power for the price, shoots pellets and bb's and if you break it, just throw it away and get another one. It puts pellets thru my back fence no problem. Probably need a head shot on a nutria though. Get ready to run, I have seen them get mad and attack!!! lol

If it has a rifled barrel, dont use bbs in it.

From what ive read, they screw up the rifling. Its best to use pellets.

Slider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    If it has a rifled barrel, dont use bbs in it.

From what ive read, they screw up the rifling. Its best to use pellets.

If you do use bb's in your airgun's rifled barrel, I'd HIGHLY suggest getting GAMO .177 Lead bb's, as they'll track on the rifling and be pretty accurate. I use them extensively in my Crosman 760 and Gamo p32 with good results. Also you can find them at Academy and Wally world :D

Top Bottom