Airgun dieseling with oil explodong pellets

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acme_labs

Purveyor of randomness
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Baton Rougeish
    I got an old Chinese crackbarrel from my grandfather, and it had a lot of cosmo/grease in the in the cylinder. When I shot it initially and followed it with another pellet quick, it would throw a spark out of the breech seal. I read about it, and took some oil, squirted it into the piston bore, dry fired it then quickly followed it with another pellet, and it dieseled, sounded like a firecracker, and would punch a hole in the side of a steel 5 gal bucket and dent the other side...try that with a benjamin...

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    The Benjamin is a phuenmatic gun. That means as you pump the forearm, you are compressing air into a chamber where it waits to be released to drive the pellet forward. The longer it sits in that chamber, the more it cools. Spring piston guns compress all of the air at once which is why they reach high temp, and flash off the oil.
    I had a friend who used to use oil in his old spring piston gun as a kid. It was cool for a while, but he eventually burned out the piston seal and the gun woul not shoot for poop after that.
    BTW dry fireing any spring piston gun is bad pratice. Again check the Beeman site.
    http://www.beeman.com/index-2.html

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Are there any pelet rifles that are specifically designed to take advantage of dieseling? It is an interesting concept, but it sounds like the equivalent of double charging a cartridge, if done in a rifle not specifically designed for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom