Airguns for Survival Kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    I have a couple already. I have been shooting them since I was a kid. I have taken God knows how many bushel baskets of birds and furry critters with them. My wife and I are thinking about adding one for her in about the 800 FPS range with easy cocking (spring piston is the only way to go). Think about it, no real noise, and perfect for taking birds, squirels and such with no real damage. In a SHTF situation in the country where we plan to go, we can keep ourselves in fresh protien. Several thousand pellets will not take up much room, and they are far cheaper than 22LR with less damage.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Except for the lack of use in self defense against 2 legged predators (or even wild dogs). Its single shot also. And the fact that it weighs about as much and is about the same size as a 10/22.
    Does someone make an air rifle in the 3.5 lb range with a folding stock? Something that would fit in a backpack?
    The lack of noise is tempting....

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    The crack barrel designed .17 pellet rifle is essentially half the overall size. You could technically just remove the stock and make some minor modifications to get it down to the size you wish. And if you screw it up? Buy another one :P

Edit: PM me if you need pictures of a broken down Crosman Storm XT

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The simplicity and the logic of this statement goes hand in hand. I don't want to get into the best survival weapon... however it would seem logical with weight/size that a 22 pistol with a longer barrel would be ideal over a pellet gun.

obviously more of a shelter in place than a bug out decision.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I agree as well, standard airguns but not CO2.

If it shoots a .177 pellet it should be able to shoot a .177 BB too, right?

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Picture as requested:
    DSC02902.JPG

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Glad to see people thinking about it. In a SHTF situation, we have a place to go. There will be a few mouths to feed, and a lot of woods around. A few couple of pounds of pellets equels God knows how many 22's. I have pellet pistols too, but for meat, a rifle is the way to go. Spring piston guns are really not that expensive nowadays, and as long as you don't leave them cocked, they will last a long time.
    7.62 and 223 for 2 legged and bigger game, 22lr for whatever needs that kind of power. Not much to eat after you hit birds and other light bodied critters with 22lr.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was thinking of the weight in my pack while on foot getting to somewhere... I suggested tossing the wooden stock (in a survival situation only) in exchange for a tubular aluminum stock to cut the weight and length... It wouldn't be hard to build one.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom