AK-47 optics options? Need advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cableguy

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Ok so I got my first AK, the M&M M10. I've had a lot I experience with the AR platform an the sky is limit with optics whether it's and Eotech, Aimpoint, or some high speed tactical scope. Now with the AK I'd like to hear some experiences with some optics. I know they have the side mount, forward rail, and dust cover style mounts. Heard to stay away from the railed dust covers to prevent horrible loss in zero's. So I have both the side mount attachment bracket and a quad rail. Which one is better to use? Any experience with Eotechs? I know they are pretty much calibrated for use with the 5.56/.223 but can it be accurately used with AK. With red-dots, any recommendations? I don't want to blow 500-600 on an optic if I don't have to, any cheaper ones out there that will actually hold a zero with the recoil? I know that the AK isn't by any means a sniper rifle but I'd like to think I can do better with something other than iron sights. Thanks for any and all advice in advance.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Ok so I got my first AK, the M&M M10. I've had a lot I experience with the AR platform an the sky is limit with optics whether it's and Eotech, Aimpoint, or some high speed tactical scope. Now with the AK I'd like to hear some experiences with some optics. I know they have the side mount, forward rail, and dust cover style mounts. Heard to stay away from the railed dust covers to prevent horrible loss in zero's. So I have both the side mount attachment bracket and a quad rail. Which one is better to use? Any experience with Eotechs? I know they are pretty much calibrated for use with the 5.56/.223 but can it be accurately used with AK. With red-dots, any recommendations? I don't want to blow 500-600 on an optic if I don't have to, any cheaper ones out there that will actually hold a zero with the recoil? I know that the AK isn't by any means a sniper rifle but I'd like to think I can do better with something other than iron sights. Thanks for any and all advice in advance.

Theres a few mounts that replace the rear sight and you can mount a micro red dot. I think midwest industries makes it. Also with a quad rail you can use one of the aim point micros and probably not use a riser. I have no experience with the side rail but would imagine with the right mount you can put on just about any optic you want and will have decent adjustability for eye relief

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    This:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344190203.636228.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344190236.882053.jpg

RS Products rail. With an Aimpoint I can cowitness and it's rock solid. You don't have to remove it to field strip but every time I did it retained zero.

Last edited:

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    The RS Products rail above is top notch kit.

Midwest Industries (and/or US Palm who designs and markets with them), imo, is the ONLY game in town if you want to forward mount an optic on AK. TONS of options from those that don't co witness to those that do, and many that are optic specific (their T-1 Micro is genius).

Additionally, although they are attractive both in price and nostalgia, stay away from the ComBloc side rail mounts. I don't find the lack of cheek weld a super hinderance per se, it's just that the AK is now getting the attention it deserves aftermarket and there are much better US made alternatives that do allow cheekweld, co witness, etc.

Just my .02 but the above two are the only way I'd go (and do) at the present.

cableguy

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for all the advice gents. After some research I'm going to save up for the RS with the aim point. Found a 10/22 today for next to nothing so had to settle for a Sightmark ultra shot QD reflex instead. Mounted on existing factory quad rail. First impression isn't bad, especially for 100$. Hell I'll throw it on 10/22 if don't like it after a while. Held a decent group for a hundred (so far). Only downfall I see so far is its not as crisp as the Eotech I'm used to. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344211317.454216.jpg

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Good call. Primary Arms has package deals available on sale from time to time for the RS with an Aimpoint or their Aimpoint-ish sight.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice gents. After some research I'm going to save up for the RS with the aim point. Found a 10/22 today for next to nothing so had to settle for a Sightmark ultra shot QD reflex instead. Mounted on existing factory quad rail. First impression isn't bad, especially for 100$. Hell I'll throw it on 10/22 if don't like it after a while. Held a decent group for a hundred (so far). Only downfall I see so far is its not as crisp as the Eotech I'm used to. View attachment 29055

Your EO is mounted backwards.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom