ALARM!!!!! B-17 at 12 o'clock in Galvez heading west 270 degrees at 1655!!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Man, that is totally cool!!! I had a feeling it was an A-8, which was probably the most popular and most produced..Knew it wasn't a D9 for sure. I always liked the A-8s the most for some reason. Growing up I had my own little Luftwaffe with probably 20 planes (3 FW 190 variants) or so and actually built some others and some Allied fighters while my wife was pregnant for our first child in 1994--felt like I needed to be home so built them to not go stir crazy. A couple of years ago my wife had a surprise birthday party for me and a good friend who knows me way too well gave me a couple more models (Me109 and 262) and I hadn't built one since my first kid, who is now 19.....One day I'll build them. Cool seeing the Green Heart on an actual plane too. Thanks for the pics and info Nickle.

Last edited:

tun_o_matic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Some years back I got the chance to ride from Alabama to Hammond in a B-17 named the Sentimental Journey. I had the front turret seat for takeoff and landing. That was a trip! During the flight I got to roam around the plane taking photos. A German bomber flew along side. All navigation was done old school with a notebook for calculations, compass and a watch as well as ground visual. It was a great ride I'll never forget.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Tun a matic I bet that German was a He-111 with red prop cones. It used to be part of the Confederate Air Force, now Commemorative, and I had a pic of me next to it in Harlingen Texas. Long time ago, like 1982 or so. The Heinkel crashed a few years back and is a total loss.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    About 10 years ago at B.R. Metro airport the Collings Foundation had a B-17 a B-24 and a B-25 there for a couple of days. It was amazing to actually walk through these iconic WW2 bombers and check them out up close. I had a still camera in one hand and a video camera in the other hand and didnt know where to look. I was definitely like a kid in the candy store. At the end of the last day They all cranked up taxied out and took off one by one. The sound of multiple radial engines going up close was indescribable. Since I had all this camera gear on me no one kept me behind the barrier and I was able to get some great video and photos. I built a plastic model of the exact B-24 that was there when I was like 12. Here are a few photos from that day. BTW for WW2 aircraft fans also at that time there was an extremely rare Focke Wulf FW 190 shortnose under restoration in one of the shops right here at B.R. Metro. I wonder what ever happened with that one.
    View attachment 48736View attachment 48738
    The first 2 photos are from an earlier visit to B.R by the same planes.
    View attachment 48737View attachment 48739View attachment 48740
    This is the same B-24 but with a new paint scheme and the same B-17 but first up close look at a B-25.

I was there when they came to Baton Rouge, but couldn't afford to do more than look. They came to Lakefront a couple of years ago and I rode the B-17 to the Rigolets and back. It was worth it and I'd pay to do it again. The nose is a fantastic place to ride. The P-51 that comes along most of the time is a bit pricey to ride at something like $2,100 or more.

While I was waiting to go up in the 17, a family was waiting for their dad to come back from a ride in the P-51. They had traveled to New Orleans from several directions ostensibly for a reunion, but had really come there for their dad to fly in the 51 while it was in town. My understanding was that he had flown 51's in the war and he looked pretty happy when he came down.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    To my knowledge the FW-190 is still in BR, the test pilot from Germany was in sometime last year while my buddy was getting his PPL and we went outside while he cranked it up and taxied to the hangar, BEAUTIFUL!

This Sunday at the Grand Prix of the Americas MotoGP Race in Austin the flyover during the National Anthem was a B-24, it was amazing to see and hear and got a roar of approval from the crowd.

tun_o_matic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Boss351, I believe it was a Heinkel. I have a nice photo of it in the cross hair sight of the side machine gun. To fit in the bottom ball turret you had to be a little guy with a large pair.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    It was this one...the last flying one IIRC up till 2003 when it went down in Wyoming killing the pilot and co-pilot...Hopefully somebody somewhere has finished a restoration where they can have another example that flies. This one was actually a Spanish version with Hispano engines I think, or should have had anyway.

he111b.jpg

Last edited:

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Where Y'at Jay, I LOVE the sound of those Radials. I was at the house for the opening of the D-Day Museum when Lots of WWII war birds flew over. It was like a private air show. YES, You need to go to Wings Over Houston! 100 WWII planes in the air at one time! Nov. 1 & 2nd this year. The flight in the B-24 Witchcraft (was Dragons Tail) was worth the money. Hodges doesn't like to fly and he loved it. I'd like to ride in the B-17 next, easier to move around. If I win the Lot-tree then I'll ride in the P-51. I got lots of pics from that day. I'll make you a dvd.
    Later on. Jay
    http://www.wingsoverhouston.com/
    http://www.collingsfoundation.org/menu.htm

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Welcome aboard bro, you will fit in well with this crew here!!!!! Gotta look at the calander and see whats happening but Halloween is right there too!! That could be a problem:(

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom