Alec Baldwin movie set shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Now Baldwin insists "I did not pull the trigger." He was using a single-action .45 Colt replica made by Pietta. Of course this gun must be cocked (hammer drawn back) before it can be fired. But is there ANY way this revolver can fire without the trigger being pulled? I can think of only one way, maybe if loaded gun was dropped and the hammer hit the ground. (assuming this gun does NOT have a hammer block safety device) Otherwise, is there any way this could be true? Would the gun fire if the hammer slipped from under the shooter's thumb during cocking? Or would the half-cock notch catch the hammer? Not enough of an expert in single actions to think of every mechanical issue, but his statement seems unlikely to be true to me.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    It is not true. Piettas have hammer block safeties. If he cocked it and dropped it, it would not fire. He pulled the trigger and is now trying to revert blame on the gun. Classic Liberal tactic.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    It would be nice if there was video of the shooting, oh wait. There is always the disclaimer if “the gun was altered”. He could have also had the trigger pulled before he cocked the hammer. And as soon as the hammer is released the gun will fire. But he still pulled the trigger! The camerawoman was setting up a close up shot so there should be video & pointed at Baldwin & the gun. I hope it shows where his finger was. More of Baldwin CYA.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    The disturbing thing is all the media will probably push the false ludicrous story and the sheep will eat it up and demand more gun control. Maybe he should cut his fingers off and demonstrate how it happened.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Maybe he should cut his fingers off and demonstrate how it happened.
    He should get this guy to help.
    iu

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    It would be nice if there was video of the shooting, oh wait. There is always the disclaimer if “the gun was altered”. He could have also had the trigger pulled before he cocked the hammer. And as soon as the hammer is released the gun will fire. But he still pulled the trigger! The camerawoman was setting up a close up shot so there should be video & pointed at Baldwin & the gun. I hope it shows where his finger was. More of Baldwin CYA.
    If you pull the trigger without the hammer cocked, the trigger return spring will move it back against the hammer when your finger pressure is removed.

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Latest explanation:
    Baldwin was rehearsing a scene in which he was to draw his gun and cock the hammer. He claims Hutchins directed him where to point the gun so that she could get the best shot.

“[I pulled] the hammer as far back as I could without cocking the actual gun,” Baldwin explained. “I'm just showing. I go, ‘How 'bout that? Does that work? You see that? Do you see that?’ And then she goes, ‘Yeah, that's good.’ I let go of the hammer, bang! The gun goes off.”

On a single action revolver, won't the sear notches hold the hammer back until the trigger is pulled? At half-cock or full-cock position? Unless the gun was defective somehow. The movie guys who "fan" the hammer and shoot fast are holding the trigger back as they brush the hammer, so the notches will not stop the hammer's fall. Baldwin's explanation does not make sense to me.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Don't get yalls undies in a knot because I am not defending the shooter. I'm just trying to clarify what the revolver is capable of.
    If it was the Millennium sold through Cabelas it had a fixed firing pin.
    This is from a review of the revolver. It’s a basic single-action revolver, and you have to understand its limitations. Never load six rounds unless you’re in a gunfight. Keep the hammer down on the empty chamber, because a blow to the hammer will cause a loaded round to fire. These features are just like you’d expect from a Colt made a century or more ago.
    Link to the article. https://www.gun-tests.com/handguns/cabelas-millennium-revolver-45-lc/

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    He should never have been allowed to touch a firearm in a professional setting. What industry allows someone to use a tool with the potential for collateral damage without rigorous training? The only true safety for any tool is an individuals brain. Counting on someone else to keep you safe is a guarantee of failure at some point and likely pretty soon in the game. Whether he is trainable is a different discussion, but I have my doubts. Regardless of the sequence of events, he, the producers, and the movie studio are responsible. Whether that responsibility is criminal or civil is for someone to decide. I don’t watch tv or movies any more for many reasons. One is the hypocrisy of putting money in the pockets of hypocrites like this one. Rant off.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It is simply amazing to me that Balderdash gets away with his defense on national tv, and Stupidnopholus, or anyone else in the media, isn't asking; "well, the footage that was shot for the scene when the accident happened should prove or disprove your explanation of what did or didn't happen, correct?"

I would not be a bit surprised if that footage of the actual shooting was mysteriously missing.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    It is simply amazing to me that Balderdash gets away with his defense on national tv, and Stupidnopholus, or anyone else in the media, isn't asking; "well, the footage that was shot for the scene when the accident happened should prove or disprove your explanation of what did or didn't happen, correct?"

I would not be a bit surprised if that footage of the actual shooting was mysteriously missing.
    I haven't seen it reported that there is any video or film record of the event. It's likely, since they weren't filming, that she was viewing through a monitor.

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    When you think about it, the only time the primer in a revolver chamber is in line with the firing pin is when the gun is at full cock, or the cartridge has just been fired. It seems to me that in the initial stages of cocking the hammer, the cylinder is still revolving into position, and the primer is not yet in line with the firing pin. So if the hammer slipped before full cock, would the round fire? or would the primer not yet be in firing position? I think all this is more complicated than it looks at first glance.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    He is totally against guns yet he is directing a film, to make money, and has guns in the movie.
    Now after he was pointing a gun that went off and killed someone he wants to blame the gun or someone else.

Sure it was an accident but he should be trying to explain that to a jury.

Phil S

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2020
    Baton Rouge, La
    Now Baldwin insists "I did not pull the trigger." He was using a single-action .45 Colt replica made by Pietta. Of course this gun must be cocked (hammer drawn back) before it can be fired. But is there ANY way this revolver can fire without the trigger being pulled? I can think of only one way, maybe if loaded gun was dropped and the hammer hit the ground. (assuming this gun does NOT have a hammer block safety device) Otherwise, is there any way this could be true? Would the gun fire if the hammer slipped from under the shooter's thumb during cocking? Or would the half-cock notch catch the hammer? Not enough of an expert in single actions to think of every mechanical issue, but his statement seems unlikely to be true to me.
    The idiocy of the leftists and guns never ceases to amaze me. Had this been Jon Voight I don’t think he would ever see the sun again from that day forward.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    He was the producer. He’s responsible for every handgun choice on set, every safety person hired, every policy for safety, etc. I don’t care what his excuses are he was the producer. He created the unsafe conditions due to his choices. Period.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Several experts have said that the trigger MUST have been held back - no way the hammer could move forward otherwise. If the hammer is pulled back just a little, and released, not enough momentum to set off the primer. Pull any farther back, the quarter-cock or half-cock notches in the hammer will engage with the trigger, preventing the hammer from going forward at all. UNLESS the trigger was held back, freeing the hammer to move back and forth.

sarky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    The Pietta is an almost exact replica of the Colt PeaceMaker, so it is a "4 click cocking" revolver. Click #1 the "safety", This click locks the hammer back just off the primer. Click #2 half cock, drops the bolt allowing the cylinder to spin for loading/unloading and safety checks. Click #3 this is the bolt snapping up to lock into the cylinder notch and lock it into place. Click #4 Full Cock, ready for firing. Clicks #1,2 and 4 new all notches on the hammer and can not be released to drop the hammer except under 2 conditions, the hammer is pulled or they are very worn or broken. It is easy enough to check by a gunsmith.

pptpe45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Let's start with a premise here. Baldwin pointed the gun at the cinematographer while holding the trigger back. He then pulls the hammer back and holds it back for cinematographer to see if that was the correct look they wanted. When they finished, with the trigger still back, Baldwin lets go of the hammer. Can the gun fire? Reading some of the posts about the operation of the pistol used and general operations of single action pistols, I am a bit confused about what may have happened.

An update to my post. I just tried the above (holding the trigger back while cocking the hammer) on my Ruger Blackhawk and the gun would have fired if it had been loaded. If this was the case with Baldwin, techniclly he didn't pull the trigger. He violated rule #3 of safe gun handling. In the words of a former instructor "keep your damn finger off the damn trigger till your damn sights are on the damn target and your ready to shoot" If this was the case, he is ressponsible and negligent. The set armorer has fault also as it is thier job to ensure the actors handling weapons know how to do so safely. It also seems to me they should be consulted on any actions requiring use of weapons to ensure safe practices are set and followed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom