Alligator Hunting Advice (Pointe aux Chene)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Me and a buddy are hunting gators in Pointe aux Chene this year (finally got tags). Any advice on nearby processors, how fast we need to get them there and what to expect for current sell price, tanning price, meat processing? Not sure if some will process the meat if you give them the hide or anything along those lines.

Also any general advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Congrats! Got my tags for the second year in a row. Unfortunately, I did not go to processor last year but intend to this year. Just commenting to congratulate and follow along.

my Advice is: make sure you pick up your tags in person and follow LDWF rules and guidelines. Get you some 400+ pound braid/rope. And most importantly, if you are using chicken I recommend dipping in some form of oil (canola/veg). Half my chicken last year was bone dry after a few hours of sitting from the tree and the chicken dipped in oil was still moist and dripping in the water. Some people say it’s good for bait but I find it best for keeping chickens moist and scent.

longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Don't know much about processing them, but you should get one easy. I gators when I am fishing and crabbing in PAC all the time.
    I'm not having confidence in catching (dont want to jinx myself). If we get a couple 5' gators, I don't mind cutting into them myself but if things go really well.... we may have our work cut out for us. I am studying up on the laws but if we process ourselves, we still have to report it if we don't bring to a processor. I'm still learning

I actually grew up fishing just SE of the area and I may have seen one before but that is more salt concentrated and I'm usually there when it's cold.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Cleaning is quite simple. Helps to blow them up first with quick air compressor shot into a cut in a foot. Use the skinning picture guides on the internets. Not kidding, my fiancé cleaned one entirely by herself. Won’t be difficult, just do your best to keep fat off meat.

Reporting is easy as well. Measure, sex, check boxes and send back tags. If you destroy it, mark it on the sheet and that’s a wrap for the season. No need to bring to wildlife office unless using the skin or parts for tanning or keeping.

3e792eb6a1b0ce996dc11594ba83fcab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baker Shake

Rating - 100%
    0   0   1
    Sep 15, 2021
    Gonzales, LA
    Me and a buddy are hunting gators this year in Pointe aux Chene this year (finally got tags). Any advice on nearby processors, how fast we need to get them there and what to expect for current sell price, tanning price, meat processing? Not sure if some will process the meat if you give them the hide or anything along those lines.

Also any general advice would be greatly appreciated
    Moved to LA last year, drew and filled 3 tags and here’s what I learned on that…

- I called just about every number listed on the LDWF website and couldn’t find anyone that bought just hides. Some would buy the whole gator, but at shockingly low prices (I mean you might could get $20 for an average sized gator) and didn’t even seem worth selling after putting in the time to catch them.

- If you keep the hides like I ended up doing to get something cool made (might end up costing you a small fortune), make sure to skin them from the back down and not like a deer. The belly skin is the most usable for product and the prime piece. I found a place in Lafayette (markstattonllc.com) that does everything…even report for you to LDWF so you don’t have to have someone come inspect the hides (with a valid tag of course).

- For the meat, next time I’ll DEFINITELY leave on ice longer (prob about 5-6 days) flushing every day or 2 and applying new ice. I do this with hogs and it cuts down on the “gamey” smell/taste significantly. We ate some straight of the gator to the grill as it wasn’t very good. Took the rest to a processor to have cut with pork for sausage in hope that’s that might help, but it didn’t really. However, works very well for gumbo.

longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Moved to LA last year, drew and filled 3 tags and here’s what I learned on that…

- I called just about every number listed on the LDWF website and couldn’t find anyone that bought just hides. Some would buy the whole gator, but at shockingly low prices (I mean you might could get $20 for an average sized gator) and didn’t even seem worth selling after putting in the time to catch them.

- If you keep the hides like I ended up doing to get something cool made (might end up costing you a small fortune), make sure to skin them from the back down and not like a deer. The belly skin is the most usable for product and the prime piece. I found a place in Lafayette (markstattonllc.com) that does everything…even report for you to LDWF so you don’t have to have someone come inspect the hides (with a valid tag of course).

- For the meat, next time I’ll DEFINITELY leave on ice longer (prob about 5-6 days) flushing every day or 2 and applying new ice. I do this with hogs and it cuts down on the “gamey” smell/taste significantly. We ate some straight of the gator to the grill as it wasn’t very good. Took the rest to a processor to have cut with pork for sausage in hope that’s that might help, but it didn’t really. However, works very well for gumbo.
    Awesome info. I greatly appreciate it.

longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Cleaning is quite simple. Helps to blow them up first with quick air compressor shot into a cut in a foot. Use the skinning picture guides on the internets. Not kidding, my fiancé cleaned one entirely by herself. Won’t be difficult, just do your best to keep fat off meat.

Reporting is easy as well. Measure, sex, check boxes and send back tags. If you destroy it, mark it on the sheet and that’s a wrap for the season. No need to bring to wildlife office unless using the skin or parts for tanning or keeping.

3e792eb6a1b0ce996dc11594ba83fcab.jpg

I'm glad you mentioned the air trick. I saw it once and was thinking I was crazy. I am 99% concerned about the meat but may save a hide. I hate wasting anything but I don't want to spend a fortune.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    When you cook it, I found it is best to boil it for about 20 minutes first. The water will foam up from blood and impurities in the meat. Strain it then rinse off the foam. I usually smother it down with onions until tender.

Pbayhi

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 30, 2021
    Baton Rouge Louisiana
    Not sure if it still like this but when I was catching them if you are planning to get tags next year it will be based on if you filled your tags from this year and the quality(length)of gators you caught this year. The key to bringing them to a processor is keeping them moist. Once the hide starts slipping the price goes down.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Not sure if it still like this but when I was catching them if you are planning to get tags next year it will be based on if you filled your tags from this year and the quality(length)of gators you caught this year. The key to bringing them to a processor is keeping them moist. Once the hide starts slipping the price goes down.

I got 3 tags last year and filled 2 and was picked again this year. I had heard about this and was afraid that would be the case. It may have changed or I just got lucky

lowell66dart

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    St James Parish
    The white meat is good for frying. Just cut it small. The best eating is the backstrap. Two nice tubes. You will see them. The legs and other muscle type meat is better for stews, sauce picante, etc. If you have a pressure cooker that will help to get those parts tender. Alligator makes a good sausage too. Grind it, mix it 50/50 with pork ( boston butt) and use dehydrated seasoning and it will keep for up to a year if packed well.

longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Congrats! Got my tags for the second year in a row. Unfortunately, I did not go to processor last year but intend to this year. Just commenting to congratulate and follow along.

my Advice is: make sure you pick up your tags in person and follow LDWF rules and guidelines. Get you some 400+ pound braid/rope. And most importantly, if you are using chicken I recommend dipping in some form of oil (canola/veg). Half my chicken last year was bone dry after a few hours of sitting from the tree and the chicken dipped in oil was still moist and dripping in the water. Some people say it’s good for bait but I find it best for keeping chickens moist and scent.
    That's a good idea. I was thinking about what else to put on them to stink them up a bit. Didn't think about them drying out. We plan to have all the hooks already baited and in a bucket 2 days before we leave to give them some time to "sweeten up" a little. Also would rather them hooked ahead of time to make it easier.

longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA

For the meat, can you keep the meat in contact with the ice and just cover it and cycle? Or does it need a garbage bag layer on top if the ice and then put the meat on it.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    For the meat, can you keep the meat in contact with the ice and just cover it and cycle? Or does it need a garbage bag layer on top if the ice and then put the meat on it.

A good question. I kept mine on ice, which turned to a ice water bath for about 5 days while processing. I had no issues. I vacuumed packed and it thaws, cooks and taste good.

Top Bottom