Alligator Hunting Tips

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Well I went today to pick up my alligator tags I got through the lottery alligator harvest program. I am now the proud owner of 3 alligator tags for the Salvador/Timken WMAs.

The problem is my only prior experience with alligator hunting is the second day when we checked the lines and shot the gators. I am unsure of the techniques they used when setting the lines. What do you make the poles out of, how are they set up...

Basically any information you have regarding alligator hunting would be greatly appreciated.

The season for the recreational alligator hunting doesn't start until Sept 11 so I have plenty of time to scout and prepare.

Thanks in advance guys!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Generally, you need several feet of sturdy cord/twine as the line. With a large hook(a sturdy shank around a 5/0-7/0 or a good size snapper hook, etc.), on one end. When you find the area you want to set, you should find a tree near the bank you can attach the line to. Then you need a suspension pole. The ol' pros will use a rigid pole or roseau cane as the suspension pole. This is the pole that will suspend the bait above the water. You have to notch the end so that the line can sit on the end of the pole without easily falling off, but only enough that the line will fall away from the suspension pole when the gator comes to get the bait. Hook a whole dead chicken or the bait you want to use to the hook, but not so deep into the bait that the hook can't penetrate through the bait. Hang the bait about a foot above the water with the help of the suspension pole the afternoon before.

Ideally, the alligator will find the bait and will lunge up out of the water to grab the bait. It will start to swallow the bait whole and then will retreat back to the water. The hook of course will find the intestine wall and the gator will not fight the pain, but will instead actually be subdued. That is the point you came in last time you went.;)

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'm not sure if you've got your tackle yet, but I saw the hooks at the Pierre Part Store last time we went fishing at Lake Verret.

Also, I heard that if you hook the chicken a few days prior to the trip (so you don't have to do it later) then put it back in the bag and let it ride around in the bed of the truck until you go, it will be "seasoned" to perfection! C'est si bon; the gators won't be able to resist.

Stan Le

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Amelia, La
    Generally, you need several feet of sturdy cord/twine as the line. With a large hook(a sturdy shank around a 5/0-7/0 or a good size snapper hook, etc.), on one end. When you find the area you want to set, you should find a tree near the bank you can attach the line to. Then you need a suspension pole. The ol' pros will use a rigid pole or roseau cane as the suspension pole. This is the pole that will suspend the bait above the water. You have to notch the end so that the line can sit on the end of the pole without easily falling off, but only enough that the line will fall away from the suspension pole when the gator comes to get the bait. Hook a whole dead chicken or the bait you want to use to the hook, but not so deep into the bait that the hook can't penetrate through the bait. Hang the bait about a foot above the water with the help of the suspension pole the afternoon before.

Ideally, the alligator will find the bait and will lunge up out of the water to grab the bait. It will start to swallow the bait whole and then will retreat back to the water. The hook of course will find the intestine wall and the gator will not fight the pain, but will instead actually be subdued. That is the point you came in last time you went.;)

that's pretty much how my uncle taught me to set my lines but use leg quarters alot cheaper then whole chickens... you don't want ya bait to high off the water the scent wont be there but you don't want it to low that smaller gators can easily get to it...

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Just went to Salvador Saturday. Gators everywhere.

Were you in any general area? (pre-scouting :D)

If there isn't a tree in the area what can I do to secure the line? Also can you be more specific on the type of line, it seems like it would have to be pretty tough stuff to hold on to the gator.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Another thing, I plan on using a 22LR pistol. It is really the only small caliber firearm I have that I feel comfortable possibly ruining. I do have a .17 bolt action i could possibly use. Should I try to find a 22WMR?

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I would think the 17 Mag would work with the FMJ bullets. A 22 mag would be better of course. I don't know if a 22 pistol would be enough or not. It's not near as powerful as a 22 rifle. You need to learn where to shoot them for instantaneous kill. Maybe a 22 rifle would work also. The only gator I shot "at" was with a 303 British rifle. Maybe a rifle with FMJ bullets or even a 9mm, etc. Maybe some friends might have a 22 mag rifle to use that can also help you with the gator wrestling in the boat. Maybe do a search on gator hunting and/or Swamp People. I wonder if they have a facebook page where you can ask them questions. I always wondered if they use steel cable or what it is that they use for a line.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you use a FMJ it might go through the head and through the most valuable part of the hide on the throat of the gator. You would want to use a 22 WMR hollow point and hit the dime sized spot on the back of the gator's head. If you pull the gator up slowly, it will not thrash around like it does on swamp people. I used to pull them up with a very light pull with two fingers. Don't wrap the rope around your hand or fingers if you like them. The first time you pull it up, it will turn and go back to the bottom when it sees the boat. Just let it go. Pull it up again slowly. You should have a puller and a shooter. Shoot into the back of the head on an angle if you insist on using FMJ. We used to use a 3030 with soft nose bullets and shot at an angle right at the rear of the hard bony plate between the eyes.
    If there are no trees, cut a stout pole about 4 ft. long. We used to use cane. Push 3 ft. of it into the ground in the marsh at least 3 feet from the water. Tie your 1/4" poly rope in a clove hitch with 2 half hitches at the base of the pole right at the ground. Tie a knot at the end of the rope to make sure that the poly rope will not slip through the knot.
    Don't use stainless steel hooks. They will snap. Use iron hooks.
    If you kill a monster, drive a chisel through the back of the neck and through the spine to immobilize it. Even after death, a large gator will still have those reptilian reflexes and a very large gator can flip a tail and knock you and other things out of the boat. Don't ask me how I know.
    That's what I remember.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If you use a FMJ it might go through the head and through the most valuable part of the hide on the throat of the gator. You would want to use a 22 WMR hollow point and hit the dime sized spot on the back of the gator's head. If you pull the gator up slowly, it will not thrash around like it does on swamp people. I used to pull them up with a very light pull with two fingers. Don't wrap the rope around your hand or fingers if you like them. The first time you pull it up, it will turn and go back to the bottom when it sees the boat. Just let it go. Pull it up again slowly. You should have a puller and a shooter. Shoot into the back of the head on an angle if you insist on using FMJ. We used to use a 3030 with soft nose bullets and shot at an angle right at the rear of the hard bony plate between the eyes.
    If there are no trees, cut a stout pole about 4 ft. long. We used to use cane. Push 3 ft. of it into the ground in the marsh at least 3 feet from the water. Tie your 1/4" poly rope in a clove hitch with 2 half hitches at the base of the pole right at the ground. Tie a knot at the end of the rope to make sure that the poly rope will not slip through the knot.
    Don't use stainless steel hooks. They will snap. Use iron hooks.
    If you kill a monster, drive a chisel through the back of the neck and through the spine to immobilize it. Even after death, a large gator will still have those reptilian reflexes and a very large gator can flip a tail and knock you and other things out of the boat. Don't ask me how I know.
    That's what I remember.

This^ for one of your later questions. Also, if you are not interested in the hide or the tanning of it, or you are just doing this for fun, or just for the meat; shoot the gator in the head with 12 gauge 00 buckshot if you want. The only reason gator hunters use small calibers was what tbone said and because the ammunition is cheap.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    This^ for one of your later questions. Also, if you are not interested in the hide or the tanning of it, or you are just doing this for fun, or just for the meat; shoot the gator in the head with 12 gauge 00 buckshot if you want. The only reason gator hunters use small calibers was what tbone said and because the ammunition is cheap.

I would love to bring my single shot with some 00 buck in it but no shotguns are allowed. The LDWF officer giving us the information was very adamant about it actually.

This is good information guys keep it coming!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I would love to bring my single shot with some 00 buck in it but no shotguns are allowed. The LDWF officer giving us the information was very adamant about it actually.

This is good information guys keep it coming!

Good point! I forgot you were doing the Mgt Area. Heaven forbid, you go into an area of demarked swamp that is owned by the state with a loaded shotgun w/00 buckshot and see a deer foraging on the side of the canal. How ever could you be a responsible adult and controll yourself from blasting it? Yes, it's a good thing they are there to protect you from yourself.

My God, it is a wonder there are any animals left in the wild at all.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shot a gator with a .22 LR once. He was extremely ticked off. We wound up and fishing for it with a dowel pole with 4 hooks whipped to the end, bringing it up and shooting it with a 3030. Last time to shoot with a .22 LR. We should have used a .22 WMR.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Another thing, I plan on using a 22LR pistol. It is really the only small caliber firearm I have that I feel comfortable possibly ruining. I do have a .17 bolt action i could possibly use. Should I try to find a 22WMR?
    a .22 pistol is fine, but a .22 rifle is really nice because you can touch the barrel to the back of the head and hit exactly where you need to. You can even use a bow if you're inclined.

l.jpg

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    a .22 pistol is fine, but a .22 rifle is really nice because you can touch the barrel to the back of the head and hit exactly where you need to. You can even use a bow if you're inclined.

l.jpg

That pic is pretty bada$$ if I do say so myself :D

I will be using a single shot revolver with a 6 inch barrel so I will be able to get a little close.

Maybe I can find a 22 WMR cylinder for it by then.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    I shot a gator with a .22 LR once. He was extremely ticked off. We wound up and fishing for it with a dowel pole with 4 hooks whipped to the end, bringing it up and shooting it with a 3030. Last time to shoot with a .22 LR. We should have used a .22 WMR.
    .22 mag will do jus fine!!

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    you missed.

Top Bottom