Alligator snapping turtles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stinkysix

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Does anyone here fish for them? I've kept a few over the years and now i'm fixing to start a breeding program for them. I'm buying some from out of state but i would really like some native ones. I have been hunting for some lately but the only one i've found was a dead one hooked on someones line and a bunch of common snappers, Thanks

E-mail me with any info---- lloydiss@hotmail.com

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Does anyone here fish for them? I've kept a few over the years and now i'm fixing to start a breeding program for them. I'm buying some from out of state but i would really like some native ones. I have been hunting for some lately but the only one i've found was a dead one hooked on someones line and a bunch of common snappers, Thanks

I bet if you could get access to Spanish Lake you could find them out there. You'll have to dig through the mud.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quiDGogfllE[/ame]

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    good luck, most of this crew will swear that they have a healthy population & tell you how many they killed and ate this year. Not much on Conservation...unfortunately.

Post your email address and a BOTL (Be on the lookout) in this thread title. Some of the guys here will gladly help you out, I'm sure.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    If you got a boat we can go set some catfish jugs/noodles out on Big Alabama Bayou and we'll see what bites.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Im actually the Biologist on staff for what is now pretty much a defunct non-profit group. It is called the Alligator Snapping Turtle Foundation based out of LaPlace. We had teamed up with Cajun Pride Swamp Tour and have our turtles currently still in their pond. The plan was to breed them and release the young back into the wild.

The problem was everyone knew what was best and there was no real board. So no surprise it folded. I think the plan is to take the turtles and put them on the Presidents property. A few over a hundred punds probably 30 in all.

They have been on MTV on wildboyz the roadkill episode where they played alligator twister. Discovery Europe filmed with them too etc...

Good luck with it, they are moving them to St. Amant so I might be able to put you in touch with them they are very knowledgeable about the turtles.

bayoukajun

Old & Cranky
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Gonzales, La.
    Im actually the Biologist on staff for what is now pretty much a defunct non-profit group. It is called the Alligator Snapping Turtle Foundation based out of LaPlace. We had teamed up with Cajun Pride Swamp Tour and have our turtles currently still in their pond. The plan was to breed them and release the young back into the wild.

The problem was everyone knew what was best and there was no real board. So no surprise it folded. I think the plan is to take the turtles and put them on the Presidents property. A few over a hundred punds probably 30 in all.

They have been on MTV on wildboyz the roadkill episode where they played alligator twister. Discovery Europe filmed with them too etc...

Good luck with it, they are moving them to St. Amant so I might be able to put you in touch with them they are very knowledgeable about the turtles.
    Is this the organization that Ben Naquin had something to do with? If so I work with him and can easily put him in touch with anyone. He has moved to St Amant from LaPlace.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Is this the organization that Ben Naquin had something to do with? If so I work with him and can easily put him in touch with anyone. He has moved to St Amant from LaPlace.

Yep, tell him not to be picking up any snakes anytime soon:rofl:. From what I understand Ben is moving the turtles to his new house as soon as he builds them a pond or something.

Top Bottom