Alternate AR recoil system and Folding stock??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I can think of 2 uppers that would allow you to use a folding stock. One is the Olympic arms OA93, and the other is the new Para Tactical Target rifle. Both do away with the reciever extension (buffer tube) and move the recoil springs forward by the handguards. You could probably shop the 'net and find just an OlyArms upper (dont think Para sells just the upper), but I dont think it would be worthwhile, unless you went for a short barreled version, for the compactness, as folding stocks are inherently not as strong as a fixed stock.

Oly OA93
    OA93-b.jpg

Para TTR
    rifle_300clarge.jpg

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    piston upper, i think
    Piston uppers still use the same reciever extension as non piston uppers, just aren't DI gas operated

Seems like if could be done, AR pistols wouldn't have the retardo buffer tube sticking out the back.

Pistols still have the retardo buffer tube sticking out the back, except for the OA93 pistol. some also have a shortened version of the tube, but most are basically a short barreled AR without a stock.

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    Piston uppers still use the same reciever extension as non piston uppers, just aren't DI gas operated

Pistols still have the retardo buffer tube sticking out the back, except for the OA93 pistol. some also have a shortened version of the tube, but most are basically a short barreled AR without a stock.

ok, i thought they were all like the sig556

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Ive been looking around the net and they have the drop in Piston conversion kits...any worth me looking at?

No. If you want a piston upper, buy a piston upper. I have read numerous reports of people getting the rear of their lower chewed up from using converisons. the piston puts the force on the top of the front of the BCG, and causes the rear of the BCG to dip down while cycling rearward, which contacts the buffer tube where it screws into the reciever. I think that the piston uppers have some sort of rail inside the upper to counteract this "pivoting".
    I'll try to find the pictures of what I'm talking about.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    :dunno:

They do have many proprietary parts though. the bolt carrier is shortened a good bit, and the forward assist is further up on the upper due to that. Then there is the action springs/rods/etc that is under the handguards. Also, I would think you are limited with the handgaurds, judging by the picture. If you planned on SBR'ing it, that would be a neat package, but just not my thing.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    Definitely a cool rifle, but yes, you are stuck with the rail system since it houses the recoil system. The only thing that is different internally is the bolt carrier, which is chopped in half to work without a buffer tube. It's not a piston system, since gas is still used to cycle the action and is vented in the same way that a normal DI system is, but recoil is more like a rifle length gas system as opposed to a carbine. It looks like Para redesigned the HG and got rid of a lot of rails, but that's about it. I've had mine for a while, but don't shoot it all that much because I was afraid parts might be hard to find.

8wlhrhj3vbmyyo822qx1.jpg

One bad thing is that because of the cut down carrier, full auto is a no go unless you're willing to drill a (fourth) hole in your receiver according to this thread at AR15.com.

ETA I hadn't noticed, but richard is right, the upper is completely proprietary; even the charging handle is different.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bbroussard
    Top Bottom