AMC Theaters / No weapons policy - response from corporate

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I sent an online email to AMC corporate when I spotted their no weapons sign recently. I asked if they meant only to exclude illegal weapons or ccw also. This was their response. Please contact them and express your opinion on the matter. I may cross post this a few other places.

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 1:50 PM
    To: XXXXXXX
    Subject: AMC Theatres

Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our no weapons policy. AMC has more than 350 theatres in the United States in 30 states and the District of Columbia. Many of the states we operate in have concealed carry laws.

For the safety and security of our guests and associates, and as a family business, AMC feels the best way to protect our guests and associates is to have a uniform, standardized policy prohibiting weapons on our premises, and to post such policy. (In many states, we are required by law to post signage if we have a policy against bringing weapons on our property, hence the posting of signage at our theatres nationwide.)

Please be assured that we evaluate our policies periodically, and your feedback will be included in our next review. The quality of your moviegoing experience—and your opinion of AMC Theatres—is important to us.

Thanks again for contacting us. We look forward to seeing you at the movies.

Sincerely,

AMC Guest Services

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    So what I'm reading is, if we gun owners, start emailing AMC and telling them that the next time they reevaluate this policy that they should reverse it, there is a chance that they would. Sounds like a mission to me.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    Well thats not a bad response. Perhaps if we tell them at times , movies let out late and we need protection to and from the theatre, that may give some additional incentive.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    This is why I go to Rave. I stay away from Perkins Rowe now that I have a CCW. The whole of Perkins Rowe is a supposed "firearms prohibited" locale, so even if AMC changed their policy, PR still has that particular theater on lockdown.

ETA: I just sent an email to the address listed above. I'll be honest, it's one of the few times in my life that I've spoken up about something like this, whether in person or online, and it feels pretty good. Hopefully, if enough of us make a stand, they will change policy. I always enjoyed AMC Theatres, as they are usually pretty nice and clean, so I would like to go there again some day, since I may not always have a Rave wherever I live or visit.

Last edited:

BRMedic

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Henderson, CO
    I actually just got back from the AMC theater near my house. Not one sign posted. A friend of mine that goes there more often than I do said hes never seen one either and he carries everyday.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I worked at the AMC in the clearview mall, about 7-8 years ago. Even with that little police station at the bottom of the parking garage, it was still pretty common for someone to get mugged if they had to park on the top floor of the parking garage. I know about this issue, so I wouldn't park there at all, but for people who dont know, and cant be carrying because they just came from the movies, just a big heads up.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Probably tilting at windmills here, but here goes...I emailed this to AMC (I included their entire letter in the email, I just clipped it here for brevity)

Your correspondence reprinted below was posted on an internet board catering to firearms enthusiasts such as myself by a person who had written to you questioning your weapons policy. I ask you to consider the portion I have highlighted and the following...
    • Consider that criminals do not obey laws, and certainly will not obey your request regarding firearms. They are now carrying guns when and where they choose, including your properties.
    • Consider that conceal carry permit holders do obey laws and will obey your policy regarding firearms. In my state permitees are legally required to obey your policy when on your premises.
    • Therefore, your policy makes certain that of all the persons on your property, only the criminals have guns. The law abiding are defenseless on your property as well as coming and going.
    • Now, can you logically conclude that the safety of your patrons is maximized by ensuring that only the criminals have guns?

I cannot make that that logical leap. I suggest that you modify your policy to prohibit the illegal carrying of weapons on your premises. It will not stop the criminals from doing what they are already doing, but it will allow you to retain the patronage of the law abiding citizen who chooses the right of self defense.

Sincerely,
    XXXXXXXXX

...and as a family business, AMC feels the best way to protect our guests and associates is to have a uniform, standardized policy prohibiting weapons on our premises, and to post such policy...

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    " For the safety and security of our guests and associates, and as a family business, AMC feels the best way to protect our guests and associates is to have a uniform, standardized policy prohibiting weapons on our premises, and to post such policy. (In many states, we are required by law to post signage if we have a policy against bringing weapons on our property, hence the posting of signage at our theaters nationwide.) "

hahaha...and dear customer please excuse us as we lie through our teeth and tell you it's about safety. We really don't want to tell you it's about insurance and our pansy liberal ass ways

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Probably tilting at windmills here, but here goes...I emailed this to AMC (I included their entire letter in the email, I just clipped it here for brevity)

Your correspondence reprinted below was posted on an internet board catering to firearms enthusiasts such as myself by a person who had written to you questioning your weapons policy. I ask you to consider the portion I have highlighted and the following...
    • Consider that criminals do not obey laws, and certainly will not obey your request regarding firearms. They are now carrying guns when and where they choose, including your properties.
    • Consider that conceal carry permit holders do obey laws and will obey your policy regarding firearms. In my state permitees are legally required to obey your policy when on your premises.
    • Therefore, your policy makes certain that of all the persons on your property, only the criminals have guns. The law abiding are defenseless on your property as well as coming and going.
    • Now, can you logically conclude that the safety of your patrons is maximized by ensuring that only the criminals have guns?

I cannot make that that logical leap. I suggest that you modify your policy to prohibit the illegal carrying of weapons on your premises. It will not stop the criminals from doing what they are already doing, but it will allow you to retain the patronage of the law abiding citizen who chooses the right of self defense.

Sincerely,
    XXXXXXXXX

...and as a family business, AMC feels the best way to protect our guests and associates is to have a uniform, standardized policy prohibiting weapons on our premises, and to post such policy...

Well written. :bowdown:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Sending:

It has recently come to my attention through an internet forum that AMC theaters in Metairie, Louisiana have “No Weapons” signs at the entrances. I have a concealed handgun permit. The signs, through Louisiana state law, legally forbid me from entering the theater while carrying a concealed weapon. I hope the policy is simply an oversight; otherwise, I must assume these signs are specifically in place to ban myself and others who legally carry a firearm, because I cannot imagine a policy maker for large corporation, such as AMC, who is delusional enough to believe a mere sign is going to stop a criminal intent on committing a crime with a gun. Armed robbery, mass shootings, muggings in parking lots and other gun crimes are very intense, often premeditated, wholly unpredictable activities; I do not believe a sign is a reasonable deterrent to such an extreme action. What is reasonable is having the ability to protect oneself should such a horrible thing occur. The signs, in effect, only bar law-abiding citizens from entering the theater. That does not seem to make sense. I would ask that some further thought be placed into using signs against your law-abiding patrons.

The theater I have frequented has the "no weapons" policy displayed on an A-Frame stand in the lobby. It is not very noticeable to even someone like myself who must be aware of their existance. If a person happens to miss that sign, your police makes that person a criminal.

Thank you for your consideration,
    XXX

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Good job Tulse.

I think the more correspondence they receive that is thoughtful, logical, well written and respectful, the better our chances of getting them to think about what they are doing.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I took a different tact when I replied to their email. I pointed out that they are accepting legal and financial liability for my well being while crossing their parking lot by prohibiting me from defending myself. I was hoping to appeal to their bean counters and attorneys... They know what a slip and fall case costs, I want them to imagine what the cost of getting a client shot would be.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    What is it something like 38 states honor our CHP but their little picture show won't.

Top Bottom