AMC Theaters / No weapons policy - response from corporate

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Here is straight from the LSP Site. Last paragraph covers Private Property.

N. No concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
    (1) A law enforcement office, station, or building.
    (2) A detention facility, prison, or jail.
    (3) A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom.
    (4) A polling place.
    (5) A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision.
    (6) The state capitol building.
    (7) Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage.
    (8) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other similar place of worship.
    (9) A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity.
    (10) Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
    (11) Any school "firearm-free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
    O. The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

That specifically states a persons private residence and not a public venue.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    See, this is a bit of a dilemma for me. I get the whole 'concealed means concealed' bit. OTOH, the business in question is that corporation's or proprietor's private property. As much as I believe in 2A I also believe in their property rights. If they stupidly believe they don't want guns in their business that is their right. Its my right not to give them money. I have the ability to express my opinions to them though, which in this case I have done. Continuing to carry there is not helping our cause in this case. I also think that by preventing me from carrying while frequenting their business they are accepting more liability for my safety. That should be giving their bean counters a heart attack. I really need to find a ruling that demonstrates that though.
    BUT, what bugs me is restricting my right to carry a firearm onto public property. I think blocking me from carrying when I go vote is just stupid. DMV and the post office are also. My taxes paid for those buildings in part. I should be able to carry there.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    10-4. Please let me know. I don't want to break the law but a place of business and a private residence are clearly two different things.

Just to pick your brain. (not trying to cause confrontation, just curious)

Say someone runs a business out of their home. What would it be then? Its registered as a business, yet is their residence as well?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    What about penalties? The only penalty I can remember reading is $500 fine and/or 6 months in jail. I could deal with the fine but jail time is not for me!

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    The laws are tricky.

Yep! and what is the law covering? The space contained by the exterior or interior walls? There are plenty buildings where the exterior walls contain businesses, residences, and/or residence/businesses. You may not know what else is in the building.

There are too many businesses with residences sharing the same building and too many residences also being used as businesses.

The more the law tries to clarify and restrict in order to avoid confusion, the more confusing the law seems to become.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    The statute is interestingly worded. In section N it prohibits carry in certain places. Period.

Next, section O says that section N shall not limit someone from restricting concealed carry on their property. I don't see where it says that it would be the same "illegal carrying" as those places listed under section N.

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Let me just run something by you guys. I've carried a handgun on my person for nearly 3 decades. Except for the wife, and or whoever I may be in the company of if I so choose to make them aware, not one person has ever known. Nobody knows I'm carrying because my weapon is concealed. I don't let anyone see it or any part thereof, or even the imprint or bulge or any other hint of a firearm because I don't want them to know I'm carrying. So, unless you plan on giving someone inside the business a reason to uncover, discover or otherwise know you are armed...

Last edited:

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    The statute is interestingly worded. In section N it prohibits carry in certain places. Period.

Next, section O says that section N shall not limit someone from restricting concealed carry on their property. I don't see where it says that it would be the same "illegal carrying" as those places listed under section N.

And none of it pertains to legal Open Carry.

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    "O. The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person."

It clearly says that the owner, the lessee, or the manager of a property can restrict carry there.

It goes on (in a separate sentence) to say that you must get permission to carry in someone's home.

Two different things. The owner or manager of a property can certainly prohibit carry there.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    It clearly says that the owner, the lessee, or the manager of a property can restrict carry there.

It goes on (in a separate sentence) to say that you must get permission to carry in someone's home.

Two different things. The owner or manager of a property can certainly prohibit carry there.

Thats how i have read, understood, and been explained it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    ^What he said. I'm so used to carrying wherever I go. I almost never disarm unless I know I'm going into a legally prohibited area.

AMC's policy is of no concern to me, but I understand the principle and more power to ya'll

If they somehow manage to spot my CONCEALED handgun and ask me to leave, then I'll politely ask for my money back and leave. Until then, this isn't Texas, their signs mean nothing to me. Good for you guys on stepping up and addressing the issue though.

Im confused.......... You never disarm, unless going into somewhere that legally prohibits carrying? But you choose to ignore the AMC policy and posted no carry sign? So technically, you are carrying where it is legally prohibited because that little sign makes the premises a no carry zone by law.

I may be confused, and please correct me if I am, but I thought the only places in LA where carry is prohibited are those listed on the LSP website. I thought no firearm signs were placed there by company policy and held no type of legal bearing, unless asked to leave and you don't and then you get slapped with remaining after being forbidden and all that jazz. I know in Texas signs have to be specifically marked with RS 30.06 to prohibit carry in a location but I didn't think Louisiana had a law against carrying where a no firearms sign was posted.

Here is straight from the LSP Site. Last paragraph covers Private Property.

N. No concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
    (1) A law enforcement office, station, or building.
    (2) A detention facility, prison, or jail.
    (3) A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom.
    (4) A polling place.
    (5) A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision.
    (6) The state capitol building.
    (7) Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage.
    (8) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other similar place of worship.
    (9) A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity.
    (10) Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
    (11) Any school "firearm-free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
    O. The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

That specifically states a persons private residence and not a public venue.

Imma get clarification from Sgt. Revis in the morning, but we have always been advised that ALL property privately owned falls under that section.

10-4. Please let me know. I don't want to break the law but a place of business and a private residence are clearly two different things.

The laws are tricky.

Oh No! Please don't tell me the CHP law in Louisiana is vague!?! :mamoru:

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    "O. The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person."

The radio guy is right.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Probably tilting at windmills here, but here goes...I emailed this to AMC (I included their entire letter in the email, I just clipped it here for brevity)

Your correspondence reprinted below was posted on an internet board catering to firearms enthusiasts such as myself by a person who had written to you questioning your weapons policy. I ask you to consider the portion I have highlighted and the following...
    • Consider that criminals do not obey laws, and certainly will not obey your request regarding firearms. They are now carrying guns when and where they choose, including your properties.
    • Consider that conceal carry permit holders do obey laws and will obey your policy regarding firearms. In my state permitees are legally required to obey your policy when on your premises.
    • Therefore, your policy makes certain that of all the persons on your property, only the criminals have guns. The law abiding are defenseless on your property as well as coming and going.
    • Now, can you logically conclude that the safety of your patrons is maximized by ensuring that only the criminals have guns?

I cannot make that that logical leap. I suggest that you modify your policy to prohibit the illegal carrying of weapons on your premises. It will not stop the criminals from doing what they are already doing, but it will allow you to retain the patronage of the law abiding citizen who chooses the right of self defense.

Sincerely,
    XXXXXXXXX

...and as a family business, AMC feels the best way to protect our guests and associates is to have a uniform, standardized policy prohibiting weapons on our premises, and to post such policy...

Very well stated. But I bet they will not change their policies. Things just aren't going our way anymore.

Top Bottom