Any archery instructors on the Northshore?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    The only archery place I'm aware of up here is Ken's Bayou Archery but my few dealings with them have been less than pleasant.

I'm interested in picking up the hobby but no clue where to start. Figured I would find an instructor, take a few classes, shoot a few bows, make sure it's a hobby I enjoy and then use the information I learned to purchase some equipment.

Just not sure where to go for such a thing :(

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    The main thing is bow fit, your draw length helps determine you arrow length and the matching spine weight of the arrows. Even though Ken and Lee can be a little arrogant at times, they are quite knowlegeble and can get things set up correctly to your fit and form. They are local and have the indoor range, tools and ability to dianose what is going on. I am in no way connected with them but have done some business with them over the years, mostly transferes and some archery supplies.

Now with that said archery prices have soared over the years, I started looking to purchase some raw cedar shafts to equip my nephews with some homemade arrows to teach them how to make them. That and un cut fletching has gotten out of hand! Double OUCH! :ohreally:

These days my archery practice is a killer on my neck and shoulders.........:wtc:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Well I've only done firearm transfers with Ken's and while they seem like knowledgeable people, they didn't seem to be too friendly. I might give them a shot after work on Thursday or Friday and see what they've got.

Do you guys think http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?83602 would be a good bow for a beginner? Seems the price is good on it but I know nothing about this stuff.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    The only archery place I'm aware of up here is Ken's Bayou Archery but my few dealings with them have been less than pleasant.

I'm interested in picking up the hobby but no clue where to start. Figured I would find an instructor, take a few classes, shoot a few bows, make sure it's a hobby I enjoy and then use the information I learned to purchase some equipment.

Just not sure where to go for such a thing :(

You looking into Traditional Archery or using Compound Bows?

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    1st what are you gonna be doing with the bow? hunting or target shooting? this is gonna determine whether you can choose a 32" ATA bow or a 35" ATA bow
    2nd measure your draw length ( alot of people over draw)
    3rd look on Archerytalk.com for threads on form! its ALL about proper form! I have bought and traded ALOT of bows from here as well as gear......1000.00 bows go for alot less used!

Pm me if you have questions!

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    You looking into Traditional Archery or using Compound Bows?

Well I was originally going to get a traditional bow but ended up buying that compound bow someone on BS was selling :dunno:

1st what are you gonna be doing with the bow? hunting or target shooting? this is gonna determine whether you can choose a 32" ATA bow or a 35" ATA bow
    2nd measure your draw length ( alot of people over draw)
    3rd look on Archerytalk.com for threads on form! its ALL about proper form! I have bought and traded ALOT of bows from here as well as gear......1000.00 bows go for alot less used!

Pm me if you have questions!

I just want to target shoot. Never been hunting so I don't think I would ever venture out alone with a bow in hopes of bringing home game. Wouldn't even know how to clean it or what to do with it.

Not sure how to measure my draw length. I figure I can go to an archery shop though with the little bow I bought and let them adjust it for me.

I looked on there and a lot of it is over my head. I haven't had the time to bring the bow anywhere but I hope to on Saturday. Looks like I'll try that shop in Pearl River people are talking about above. Hopefully I can get it setup for me and get some arrows and something to shoot at and fool around a little with it this weekend.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I'm 5/8 and I measured like it said. 69.25" / 2.5 = 27.7 draw length? Looks like the bow I've got is set for 29 according to what's circled on it.

Oh and the guy included one of those little wrist things with a "trigger" like mechanism so my right hand isn't actually holding the string. Don't you account for that with draw length?

VY0qP.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom