Any experience with the PSL kits?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Has anyone ever given a PSL kit a go? They have them on Centerfire for 299 right now and for 99 more you can get the receiver. Seems like a good deal on a gun that can shoot cheap ammo.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Paging bambam!

Should be basically the same as an AK build. I do recall recently reading about people having issues with the current batch of Romanian receivers though, I'll try to find a link. $400 for parts and receiver, plus build cost will save a few bucks compared to the cost of buying one pre-built, though not much once you add in the scope and mag that come with the rifles for $800, although those are currently sold out so that's kind of moot.

As for the PSL itself I love mine, and with 7.62x54r you get a LOT of thump for the money. I am listing mine for sale soon though, unfortunately something's gotta go and the PSL is just the rifle I shoot least. Still I've taken it out of the safe four different times to take pics for the sale and can't bring myself to do it. :hs:

Last edited:

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I actually wanted to stay away from the scope. I figured it would just be a big gun to shoot out at the range for fun that would still be cheap. Where did you see the mags I didn't see any?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I actually wanted to stay away from the scope. I figured it would just be a big gun to shoot out at the range for fun that would still be cheap. Where did you see the mags I didn't see any?

It's definitely big, and definitely fun. I like the scope, very cool reticle setup once you learn how to use it. Maybe I only like it because I've played too much Battlefield and COD though. :D

Mags are around, but I haven't seen any vendor selling them in a while, and when they do they aren't cheap ($35-40). I do see them pop up from time to time on AK forums which is probably your best bet.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I've looked into it several times as they come up... and AFTER you factor in US parts... you never saved more than $50.

Might have changed... but I doubt it.

Ahh I always forget about compliance parts. What would you need to make that one compliant?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Everything I've read leans toward the PSL not falling under 922r, as it is a sporting rifle (with no bayo lug and welded muzzle device) with no evil features and mag capacity that isn't over 10 rounds. Same reason they can import them as is directly from Romania with no US parts.

Basically, same as an SKS. If you were to remove the thumbhole stock and add a pistol grip, then it would fall under 922r regulation.

Top Bottom