Any family members serve in Marines Iwo Jima?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tater

Mud Puppy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Leesville
    I have a family member who was in the 5th marine division for the landing at Iwo Jima, got shot through the neck and arm but miraculously survived.

Tater

Mud Puppy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Leesville
    Yes it was quite the battle. Technically he is my grandfather's cousin, but he is a grandfather to me since both of mine were passed before I was born and he never had children or grandchildren. I recently got a copy of a oral history interview he did with Southern Miss about his experiences in the Marine Corp at the time. It was very interesting to hear him give is accounts of the landing and then being shot, taking hours to be medevac'ed to a hospital ship etc. He was truly a fighter that day to survive. In the recordings, he shows great signs of "survivor's guilt" as he was the only one in his fire team to survive that day and it still haunts him today.

JustinB

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Metairie
    Grandfather was there. He is gone now but my dad and uncle said never expressed a desire to return there. I would like to go.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    My great uncle was there, Been gone for 4 Years now. Never talked about it much until a year or so before he left us. Was a great man. I miss you Lamar, as does the rest of the family.

Last edited:

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I had a neighbor who served there, heart attack got him too, boy was he pissed the day I bought a rice burner vehicle, he came over to let me know it too, he was a great guy, he did discuss the battle all the time, he will be missed, so long Mr. Paul

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    It easy to forget sometimes how many should be honored in our own families and friends. God Bless all that wear and have wore the uniform and allies that fought beside our soldiers..

Ben Draughn

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Hickory LA
    Youngest Marine to get Medal of Honor
    check out the book: Indestructible: the unforgettable story of a marine hero at Iwo Jima
    good man didn't like his politics but loved the man

Top Bottom