Any Taurus GX4 owners?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Just got one the other day.
    Shot it. Carried it. No problems.

As far as carrying is concerned, it leaves absolutely no footprint. At 18.5 oz unloaded and 23 oz loaded, it really felt like there was nothing inside my waistband so all day/night carry is a joy.
    It's very similar to the P365, Max9 and Hellcat in looks and profile and it feels as solid as the aforementioned.

At the range, I gave it 50 rounds each of 115grn FMJ, 147grn FMJ & JHP and 124grn+P of JHP with no malfunctions. As expected, it was pretty stout with the +P JHP but still controllable and inheritently accurate.

The 11 round mags performed flawlessly. The sights are steel and easily replaceable if aftermarket sights are preferred.
    Trigger was a consistent 5.5lbs with hardly any travel and a quick reset. There is some minor grit to the trigger pull but after a few hundred rounds, you either get used to it or it kinda works itself out after a few hundred rounds.

Overall, it's an excellent hi cap sub compact for only $350!

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Cujo summed it up pretty well. I've had the GX4, P365 and Hellcat and would easily say the GX4 is the pick of the litter. It's the same footprint as the P365, but with interchangeable backstraps that make it feel a bit more like holding a gun and a bit less like holding a dick. Trigger is fine: it's a fairly predictable tupperware striker trigger that breaks easier than a stock glock and doesn't have the "carrot-that's-been-in-the-fridge-for-two-weeks" break of the P365. The glock-compatible sights are a great touch.

The only think I didn't like was the 13rd mags. Rather than making a longer mag body with a flush floorplate, it's the same steel body as the 11rd mags with a +2 floorplate. The way the polymer is molded on the front of that floorplate, it creates a bit of a gap that digs right into my finger (at least the way I grip the gun). I returned them and stuck with the 11's.

Any first-gen pistol requires extra testing before you should trust your life to it. Some of the first ones off the assembly line had some trigger QC issues that seems to be sorted out now.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Thanks for the reports guys! Looking to retire my RAMI and get something a little lighter in striker fire. Looking at the 365 and Hellcat but saw the Taurus and got me thinking.

Razzmatazz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2022
    Tangipahoa
    Looking to pick one up in the next few days. Glad I found the forum to be able to read some reviews from real people.

FireSupplier

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    The Hub City, LA
    It has been my daytime carry choice since December and haven't had any issues with it yet besides pinching my finger pretty bad during a reload on a fun range day awhile back/ user error trying to reload a magazine that my butterfingers were fumbling with as I dropped the mag lol. Only complaint for me personally was the grip length where my pinky was hanging off slightly, but the Lakeline pinky extension I purchased corrected that and it has spit out everything I've put through it so far with no issues around 600+ rounds so far. Still mind blowing to me with the tiny footprint of it since I downsized from a larger carry sized Sig previously.

FireSupplier

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    The Hub City, LA
    Ok guys how are they holding up since our last correspondence here? I’m about to take the plunge…
    To me, GX4's can be a hit or miss. I've seen reviews of them being duds first round right out the box requiring warranty instantly, but also seen a lot of reviews of most of them spitting out everything perfectly fine with no hiccups. Free lifetime repair warranty for the original GX4 purchaser if I recall correctly and budget friendly pricing so I feel like it's worth a shot so long as it isn't your only firearm just in case it needs warranty work for any reason. I was so close to getting 900 rounds through mines and finally had it's first hiccup about 2 weeks ago first thing in the morning at the range/ failure to fire. Had no signs of primer strike. Took it apart and turns out the firing pin tip broke off. Shipped it out later that same day back to Taurus for warranty. Almost 2 weeks later, I got it back this past Tuesday with a new firing pin and didn't have to pay for shipping/anything and it's now back to shooting everything again so far. I wish I had the T.O.R.O. version of the GX4 or I just need to send my slide out to North Carolina Engravers for the optic cut service on my current slide. I feel like this thing would be such a blast with a red dot! Got the gun show coming up soon in Lafayette so if I see a fair priced GX4 T.O.R.O., I might take the plunge on that as well since I like it so much. I say take the plunge and go for it! To be honest, the way I see my purchase, I originally paid $280 for the keychain/miniature GX4 that I really wanted and the life sized handgun just came with it. :crazy: Lol, thankfully my FFL didn't pocket the keychain though since I've seen some people's GX4s missing them on delivery and saw a comment on a review awhile back of a guy that works at some outdoors shop saying his coworkers suck and stole some of the keychains prior to selling them, but those people would just email Taurus proof of purchase I believe and Taurus just sends them another one for free in the mail.

Attachments

• 0328220156.jpg
      0328220156.jpg
      287.1 KB · Views: 62
    • 0328220154a~2.jpg
      0328220154a~2.jpg
      272.4 KB · Views: 61
    • 0415221932.jpg
      0415221932.jpg
      215.4 KB · Views: 62
    Last edited:

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I had a GX4 for a bit, much prefer my G3C or 43X.

I would like a DA/SA or even a G26 more than the micro 9’s.

To start, I had the bronze cerakote model. The finish was actually better than the cerakote G43 model I had. Hats off to Taurus, awesome finish. My G3C is a notch below Glocks there.

The GX4 felt great with either back strap. Similar size to my Kahr CM9, also to the 365 & Hellcat. Like Southern Canuck says this felt the best in the hand of the 3 of them. My CM9 felt better still.

Also like Canuck, (he convinced me to get the GX4) I didn’t think the 13 rounder was as good as it should be. Not bad, but they could have done better.

The pistol was accurate enough, I really liked it, but knew I wouldn’t keep it. 50 rounds, my trigger finger was almost bleeding.

The trigger was a tad too light and way too short for me. I love a short reset, but not the 1st shot also being way short and with no manual safety.

For me, I loved the pistol, but I prefer larger firearms, even just slightly, love my G3C, and it has a manual safety.

If you want super easy to carry, High capacity,and a nice pistol at a great price, take the plunge. I got mine for $299, was well worth it, minus the bloody finger.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I’ve decided to retire my CZ RAMI and looking for a good replacement that was lighter and more concealable and have more capacity without printing much. It was the Sig 365 or this one. Today I bit the bullet and got a GX4 and we will see how she does. I plan on shooting the s&$t out of it.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I gotta ask…with all the quality handguns out there, what void is this filling?
    If you look at this pistol, it is a quality handgun.

Not only is it well made, fit and finish are excellent, but it has an adjustable back strap shoots accurately and fast. Real good stock trigger. Great grip texture.

Street price $200 less than the competitors, or about 40%. Every bit as good.

”Void” would be the same as any micro compact 9mm pistol fills.

I can say all this good about the pistol, but it wasn’t for me. Reasons in a previous comment.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom