anybody work for acadian?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    the only other thread i saw was a year old.

anybody currently work for them?

im currently in the middle of the hiring process.

any advise/recommendations?

gear/classes i "need"?

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I worked for them from Feb 1997 to March 1998. I have about 12 years to retirement. At AASI I'd have to work until I was too injured to continue or reach 65. If you're going to make a career of it do somewhere where 27 years is the entire career.

Dave

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Best advice I can give you is to care for your patients more than your co workers. We only use them for Airmed if we have to. But they always call us for lifting assistance. Acadian does not man there trucks like they shoud. Most of them dont give a crap about there patients.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    they are all thats hiring right now. lol

I worked for Acadian from the early 90's until around 2002 or 2003 thereabouts. We were given raises on a regular basis and various bonuses were given as well (Pay for Performance, AllSafe Driving Awards, etc). Field-level management was also pretty good. Once upon a time, they took care of their employees (especially their senior ones), now...not so much. It was starting to get bad when I left, and it has only gotten worse since then from what I've been told. Keep in mind, that they're a private, profit-driven company so everything that they do will be a means to that end.

Their insurance sucks and the pay has barely increased from when I was there.

I'm not trying to discourage you. It is a good way to get experience and, if you desire, further your career by obtaining your paramedic certification. A few more doors will open for you once you get that blue and gold patch.

EMS is a young, single man's game and it's best used as a stepping stone to something else, i.e. nursing, safety, etc.

If you want a more current idea of how they are to work for, PM 11Bravo here on the site. I believe he still works for them.

Last edited:

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    any advise/recommendations?

gear/classes i "need"?

AASI will provide the classes and training that they feel you need.

Show up to work at least 15 minutes early...Your relief will appreciate it

Stay out of station "politics"

Have an open mind. Use every call as a "learning opportunity". Ask questions and don't assume anything.

Buy the most comfortable pair of boots that you can afford and decent socks....Your feet will thank you for it at the end of your shift

As an EMT at Acadian, you will be doing a lot of driving...Polarized sun glasses are your friend

Buy yourself a good stethoscope...The Littmann Classic II SE is a good choice and won't set you back too much. Pick an off-the-wall color and make sure that you put your name on it.

A good multi-tool or folding knife and a small LED flashlight are priceless.

Don't cram your pockets full of "stuff" - the only thing you need to carry in there besides your light is a roll of 1 or 2" tape and a few extra pairs of gloves.

Buy a small fanny pack or day bag of some type. Stock it with spare ink pens, a set of spare batteries for your light, EMS field guide, Tums, Advil, etc. and keep it behind the seat. Consider adding bottled water, cereal bars, packs of ramen noodles, etc.

Keep a complete spare uniform in your vehicle at the station, including extra socks.

Those are just a few things that popped into my head right off the bat.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    it's best used as a stepping stone to something else, i.e. nursing, safety, etc.

As someone who's been in the field since the early 1990's I must disagree. Just b/c you couldn't hang don't put that back on the profession.

Dave

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    AASI will provide the classes and training that they feel you need.

Show up to work at least 15 minutes early...Your relief will appreciate it

Stay out of station "politics"

Have an open mind. Use every call as a "learning opportunity". Ask questions and don't assume anything.

Buy the most comfortable pair of boots that you can afford and decent socks....Your feet will thank you for it at the end of your shift

As an EMT at Acadian, you will be doing a lot of driving...Polarized sun glasses are your friend

Buy yourself a good stethoscope...The Littmann Classic II SE is a good choice and won't set you back too much. Pick an off-the-wall color and make sure that you put your name on it.

A good multi-tool or folding knife and a small LED flashlight are priceless.

Don't cram your pockets full of "stuff" - the only thing you need to carry in there besides your light is a roll of 1 or 2" tape and a few extra pairs of gloves.

Buy a small fanny pack or day bag of some type. Stock it with spare ink pens, a set of spare batteries for your light, EMS field guide, Tums, Advil, etc. and keep it behind the seat. Consider adding bottled water, cereal bars, packs of ramen noodles, etc.

Keep a complete spare uniform in your vehicle at the station, including extra socks.

Those are just a few things that popped into my head right off the bat.

thanks, thats the stuff i was looking for. i got a littmann ultralight as an award for graduating first in my class, so im good there.

i just need to find out their boot policy before i buy some, i never skimp on boots. after 10yrs of military and 8 offshore, i always get the best of the best.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    i just need to find out their boot policy before i buy some, i never skimp on boots. after 10yrs of military and 8 offshore, i always get the best of the best.

Danner Uninsulated Acadia Boots. I'm on the third resole. The uppers are holding up like iron.

Dave

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    As someone who's been in the field since the early 1990's I must disagree. Just b/c you couldn't hang don't put that back on the profession.

Dave

I worked on the streets from 1993 until 2009, so I "hung" for almost 16 years on the trucks. A guy I used to work with used it as a stepping stone to become an emergency physician. I guess he couldn't "hang" either?

If wanting to make almost twice the money I did working on the trucks is considered not being able to "hang" so be it. The needs of my family come first.

To clarify, my comments were directed as advice for someone considering a career at Acadian (which is what the OP was asking about). Maybe I should have been more clear on that? You know yourself that they will chew you up and spit you out without a second thought, and you pretty much said the same thing yourself in not so many words. Even so, a lot of good medics, who were more than capable of "hanging", have used this profession as a stepping stone towards other things. It happens all of the time. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with making a career out of working the streets, but there's also no shame in moving on to better yourself and your family either.

Last edited:

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Working as an EMT/Basic is.... basic. Get yourself good boots, and it helps to have a good 'scope. I hardly ever used mine as a basic though. I had shears too... hardly ever used them. But its nice to have them on your person when you do need them.

I've heard a lot about Danner boots. I haven't coughed up the change for them though. I've been using 5.11s since day one. I recently bought a pair of Bates after soaking my 5.11s in a ditch and like them. Buy what fits your feet good. And ventilates well.

As far as functioning as a basic - listen to your medic, keep your mouth shut, drive SMOOTH (not fast or reckless) and safe, keep the unit clean ALWAYS, and keep up with supplies. Do that initially and you'll grow. I would advise like you were earlier to invest in some sort of a bag to keep snacks, NSAIDs, and whatever else small items you may need. I bought a bail out bag from LAPoliceGear.com and it works awesome. I have my stethoscope, reflective vest, personal meds (OTC ****), spare phone chargers, field guides, etc. It carries whatever I need and its 19.99.

Overall, its not a hard job. You have to walk a thin line at somewhere like Acadian. I have not worked with them, but I have done student rotations and I have donned the uniform of two other larger services in the region so I know what its like. your effort and attitude will determine how well you do. the rest you will learn.

edit: as far as boot policy, almost everywhere wants you to wear 8" boots. and honestly thats the best form anyways. I like the ankle support.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    well they didnt hire me for the north shore job, but they called me up 2 months later saying they really NEEDED an emt for the br area.

Top Bottom