Anyone Have Any Real World Experience With Laser Bore Sights?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    For years I have been old school on sighting in hunting rifles. Shoot paper, find where I am hitting, and walking them in to my groups with adjustments. Saturday I sighted in 4 rifles, and one was so far off I couldn't beleive it. I had just replaced a scope on the rail mounts by eye, and it was ridiculous. I believe that if these laser bore sights are as good as some say on tv and in print, I would get one for the future.

So, in my quest for knowledge and not wanting to unnecessarily waste money on something that is not what it's cracked up to be, and bullets; I want to know if any of you have these.

What's the range they are good up to?
    What Brand?
    Did it save you range time and bullets?

Thanks!

ChrisK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Natchez, MS
    I have two of them, just the el cheepo types, don't even know the brands. They are good for getting you on the paper. They save a few shots. I'm not sure if the expensive ones work better.

I don't use it on my .223 guns, but comes in handy on the .308 and the .50 and other ammo that's expensive.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    As was said above, they are good for getting you on paper and saving some rounds but the laser is a straight line and bullets dont fly 100% straight. I use mine just to get me on the paper at 25 yards and then work out from there.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    As was said above, they are good for getting you on paper and saving some rounds but the laser is a straight line and bullets dont fly 100% straight. I use mine just to get me on the paper at 25 yards and then work out from there.

Yes, but bullet trajectory is not an issue from muzzle to target depending on the range you want it to hit at.

How far does the beam shine effectively?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    My dog likes chasing the lasers. Bullets don't seem to be attracted to them much though.

Center up a 50yd black dot on a piece of paper with the center of the bore (take out the bolt and look down the bore). Without moving the rifle look through the scope. Adjust and repeat till the cross hairs line up with the center of the dot. This will get any rifle within a few inches. Zero at 50yds and then back off to 100 or your chosen zero range and fine tune. IF the scope is tracking true it typically takes me three shots to solidify a zero. I then run two more to confirm. For a lever action or a one piece action semi-auto (Remington 7600) I just use your old school method and point the barrel at 25yds and make sure the scope is close to start off with.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    My dog likes chasing the lasers. Bullets don't seem to be attracted to them much though.

Center up a 50yd black dot on a piece of paper with the center of the bore (take out the bolt and look down the bore). Without moving the rifle look through the scope. Adjust and repeat till the cross hairs line up with the center of the dot. This will get any rifle within a few inches. Zero at 50yds and then back off to 100 or your chosen zero range and fine tune. IF the scope is tracking true it typically takes me three shots to solidify a zero. I then run two more to confirm. For a lever action or a one piece action semi-auto (Remington 7600) I just use your old school method and point the barrel at 25yds and make sure the scope is close to start off with.

I like the way you think. I'm using a Caldwell Lead Sled that doesn't have vices. It does the job, but I was going all in at 100 yards. Again, my rifles were never off as bad as this one particular rifle. It is a Handy 45/70, and I was almost convinced the barrel was bent. :eek3: Cause it surely couldn't be me! :p So you would vote "Unnecessary" on the bore sight?

Are you long range guys using gun vices?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Also, do any of you long range guys use ballistic trajectory charts based on bullet weight? I realize that muzzle velocity, energy, barrels, etc. all matter too, but I ain't ready to go "all in" like that.

I am trying to keep this crap sensible and just above retard comprehension. :D I am fascinated by long range accuracy, but I'll leave the 500 yard shots up to the big boys!

EonDresari

Curio & Relic
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    In my experience, which is somewhat limited. (I use one 7.62x54r laser cartridge to sight in PU and POSP scopes it's visible in fading light at 75-100 yards) They definitely get you set up right for windage. Like the above posters have stated, getting the elevation and all that right really depends on what range and calibre you are shooting. For the most part the laser bore sighters are aids that save you say 5 or 6 shots, but it's always good to check your settings by firing a 3 shot or so group to further dial it in. FWIW. :twitch: And I don't shoot over 600 yds so my methods aren't for looooong range.

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Like Ritten said pull the bolt, look through bore and adjust the scope to the target. If the scope has a calibrated retical use it to measure how much adjustment to dial on the turrets after the first shot. If not go measure with a tape measure how high / low and left / right the hole is from the bullseye and if the scope is 1/4 MOA then each click should move the bullet 1/4" per click. Emphasis on should as cheaper scopes do not necessarily do so.

Emperor, if you have an iPhone spend $20 on the app Ballistic AE. Best $20 I ever spent on shooting equipment. This tells you the needed correction for longer shots once zeroed.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Like Ritten said pull the bolt, look through bore and adjust the scope to the target. If the scope has a calibrated retical use it to measure how much adjustment to dial on the turrets after the first shot. If not go measure with a tape measure how high / low and left / right the hole is from the bullseye and if the scope is 1/4 MOA then each click should move the bullet 1/4" per click. Emphasis on should as cheaper scopes do not necessarily do so.

Emperor, if you have an iPhone spend $20 on the app Ballistic AE. Best $20 I ever spent on shooting equipment. This tells you the needed correction for longer shots once zeroed.

It just so happens I am in a deer stand with an I-phone. I will forgo the bore sight, and take you long rangers' advice. Do you guys use fixed immovable gun rests with vise locking ability when zeroing those match guns, or typical style rests, bags, etc.?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    It just so happens I am in a deer stand with an I-phone. I will forgo the bore sight, and take you long rangers' advice. Do you guys use fixed immovable gun rests with vise locking ability when zeroing those match guns, or typical style rests, bags, etc.?

I just use a bi-pod and a rear bag, but if you have access to a gun vice or cleaning station it's even easier IF you have a way of adjusting the rifle's height and orientation to point at the target. They key is lining up the bore, the crown, and the target. With three points of reference it's easy to get it close and very quick once you get the hang of it. It takes longer for me to walk down and move the target back from 50 to 100yds after taking the first two shots.

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I use a bipod and a rear bag. Last week a coworker bought a 700 and a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 as per my suggestion and we went to the range Wednesday. We sighted the gun in with two shots. Typically it takes me 3-4.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I've got a nice green laser one.

I haven't got my money's worth out of mine as firearms are concerned.

Playing with the cats and goofing off with it has been a blast!

sawman

Coyote Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Kinder
    Also, do any of you long range guys use ballistic trajectory charts based on bullet weight? I realize that muzzle velocity, energy, barrels, etc. all matter too, but I ain't ready to go "all in" like that.
    I am trying to keep this crap sensible and just above retard comprehension. :D I am fascinated by long range accuracy, but I'll leave the 500 yard shots up to the big boys!

Long range charts are specific to YOUR rifle with SPECIFIC ammo. Anything else is NOT suitable for long range accuracy. At those ranges, little things make big differences. Anything else is just throwing lead.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

"Sensible and just above retard comprehension" = get out to the range and shoot. Write down the drops at the distances you want on a piece of paper. Tactical crayons in OD green work best.

Top Bottom