Appleseed event at Palo Alto

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    Project Appleseed will hold its first event at Palo Alto Rifle Club in Donaldsonville on May 30-31. We will shoot at 25M on Saturday and then move out to 200 yards on Sunday (you must shoot a centerfire rifle at 200). **Note that the address of the range is 1393 Hwy 943 (it was initially incorrect on the Appleseed website).

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=LA&statename=Louisiana

We look forward to seeing you there.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I think Appleseed is one way of learning. After meeting some of the local guys and seeing some of how they present the material I would recommend it.

I am also glad to see them working in conjunction with Palo Alto and whoever else to further our sport and other aspects of being an American. I bet the LSA was also a factor in making this happen.

Last edited:

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Appleseed took me from a less than mediocre rifle shooter to a regular NRA High Power competitor. Honestly it's the best value in firearms training out there. Take the training offered then spend a few bricks of .22LR in practice. Watch your groups shrink and your scores go up.

I've been to 2 and I'm going to this one.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    Per Club rules, AK and SKS rifles are not allowed on the long range. But we likely can arrange a loaner/rental for you. Let me know if you need one.
    Also, per Club rules, red- dot and ACOG sights are discouraged. We will teach you how to use irons or a scope - your choice.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    I tried to encourage the wife to go with me, but trying to get her to lay prone with her pregnant belly wasn't happening so we'll have to wait for another I guess.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    I really really really wish I could go to this!! But after going to the M1 Garand clinic last weekend and this Saturday being the wife's birthday, there is no possibility of a yard pass. Hope y'all do it again soon!

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    There is an event in Eunice in June. They may shoot from distance at the end of the event. But we hope to be back at Palo Alto later this year as well. Hope to see you then.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Per Club rules, AK and SKS rifles are not allowed on the long range. But we likely can arrange a loaner/rental for you. Let me know if you need one.
    Also, per Club rules, red- dot and ACOG sights are discouraged. We will teach you how to use irons or a scope - your choice.

Just saw that...

Because I'll shoot my AR in 7.62x39 and it'll make zero bit of difference, right?

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    I tried to encourage the wife to go with me, but trying to get her to lay prone with her pregnant belly wasn't happening so we'll have to wait for another I guess.

There was an older women at the Appleseed I went to, she had a very hard time getting out of prone. She shot from a chair instead. If you're wife can't do prone, I'm sure she can shoot from other positions. Appleseed is normally accommodating to people's needs.

If you contact the shoot boss, I'm sure he will very understanding of anyone's needs and abilities.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    ^^^100%. Don't let not shooting prone discourage her, learning natural point of aim, breath control, and how to press a trigger are probably the most important skills to master at an appleseed.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    After checking out the website, 2 friends and myself decided to get ready for the next event. We are prepping two 10/22s and a 795. To support Appleseed, we ordered most everything from the store, except that we are going to Brownells for TSR-200 Tech Sights (with rear elevation adj) for the Rugers.

The website is vague about centerfire rifles. I assume the rules vary at different events/ranges. I think we will just load up the Garands, and the AR rifles with mititary sights and scoped uppers, in other words, bring what we got.

We will keep watching for anymore LA events, also the TX events aren't far from a friend's lakehouse.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I would plan on doing most of your shooting with the .22 rifles. You will use a lot of ammunition, and using an AR or a Garand at 25 meters is a waste of money. The Garand will give you experience with the recoil, but unless you know how to properly shoot first, this will be more of a hindrance than a help. Also, if you know how to properly shoot, the recoil is pretty inconsequential. As for the AR, IMHO, at 25 meters, your just making more noise and wasting more money. I would also leave the optics at home.

Top Bottom