AR-10 Opinions/Thoughts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tikanni

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Alright guys,

I'm thinking about getting back into the AR-10 platform. I have been looking at the LMT LM8MWS with the slick handguard. Anybody have any experience with this rifle?
    Are there any other brands you would recommend? Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Craig

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    I've got an MWS. It's heavy. For the shooting you want to do I would look at the POF. I've got one in the shop for you to play with. I can also bring my LMT in to compare.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Accuracy has very little to do with barrel length alone and trying to compare it from one to the other is futile.

Ok thanks. Just have heard from several people that barrel length caused their shot consistency to fall off after certain ranges. So I was curious to know the difference between his two length. I won't hide the fact I don't know much about the "science" of LR shooting. Most of my shots have just gotten the job done on animals I shoot. I don't recall the longest shot I have taken on game but probably around 430yds.
    I've only shot that one match with you all at palo. So if I ask pointless questions it is because I don't know.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Is there a considerable weight difference between the 24" and the 18"?
    At what range do you notice the accuracy start to fall off if any at all?
    They are both heavy, they weight about the same. 18" heavy barrel, quad rail, Troy battle sights, tip-off scope. Muzzle velocity for Federal Gold Medal 175 grain is 2450 FPS. Gun shoots under an inch at 200 ydrs. Recoils sucks due to the weight of the bolt carrier. Put a brake and a gas regulator and it got better, but sight recovery from shot to shot is poor.
    24" weighs about the same because the barrel is fluted. More of a long range weapon, it too has a brake. Better to shoot than the 18" but not as accurate, yet. Federal Gold Medal 175 grain 2630 fps. Still working on hand loads. I think it will shoot around 2580-2600 fps. Hope this helps?:x:

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Definitely not a target rifle. More tactical shooting.
    If you want tactical, now this is my two cents. I would go with a M1A platform in a EBR stock 16" or 18" barrel. I have several M1A's and have worked on a crap ton of them. I have had too many cycle problems with the 308 AR's that I have had to call them reliable. M1A's have given me the least failures and less recoil compared to the 308 AR's. My .223 AR's run good. The problem with 308's appear to be port pressure sensitive. Again just my two cents. If you find something let me know?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    My research led me to believe that the 308 ar rifles really need adjustable gas blocks. I have 2 armalite ar10 rifles, both 20". One cycles and ejects about right, 2 oclock. The other must be way overgassed, ejection is very vigorous! Still testing them. I wil lsay the lightweight profile barrel does make lugging the gun around much nicer. The heavy barrel gun is a pig. Have not done any accuracy testing yet, need glass.

Top Bottom