AR 15 soft tip ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    does the AR have problems feeding soft tip ammo,,i read a few things about the auto load deforms the tips and causes problems loading or barrel malfunctions,,,any truth to this or is it ol man wives tales...

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I would say test the combination of a specific bullet and a specific AR to be sure. Mine has fed every bullet I tried so far.

In general I would not rely on not having a feeding issue with SP against a threat that had to be stopped. I would probably feel better about continuing putting several non-SP into the threat than to have a stoppage. Some would this point even saying don't use AR/.223.

If you are talking game animals then that would be different. Laws concerning hunting would be starting point.

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    so far i have a ok stash of fmj,im always looking for more ha,,but there seem to have a pretty good price on bear,brown and gold soft point ammo,,im not hunting this will be target and SD ammo,,i would just hate to order 1000rns of something thats gonna jam every other shot..maybe ill order a box or 2 to test befor hand.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I know what you mean about testing before investing.

I also like to know that it will run Wolf steel case, Monarch and the like. It would not be my first chice for SD. Better than not having any ammo by far.

SP's also tend to get mashed up on the noses in handling, transport etc. not that it matters to the guy getting hit with one. Question being how is accuracy affected.

A good point being bullet choice is an advantage we have the Military does not. I have heard some arguments as to why FMJ would be preferred in the AR. Some guys swear by Hornady TAP. Some believe the steel Penetrator rounds are the best.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    LSP,
    No Ice-Picking for you.

I loaded a 100 of the PSP Remingtons tonight. I had a bag & figured a bullet loaded & in a mag is better than in a bag at home. Some days moreso than other.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    If LSP was refering to the Sierra Match King OTM in 77gr from Black Hills, known by the Military as MK 262 and MK 262 Mod 1, it is simply the most lethal thing I have seen fired from a 5.56mm weapon. In my personal expirence it cures extremism from 0 to 600+ yards. In fact the Army would do well to make it the new standard round for everybody. Not to nit pick but to be accurate the round is not a hollow-point. It has an open tip for ballistic purposes that does little if anything to increase exspansion. Anybody who uses an AR as a killing platform need to take a serious look at the newer heavier loads like the 77gr SMK and the 75gr Hornaday. To that end those that are buying new AR's need to pay attention to Barrel Twist Rates. 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 are required to stabalize the heavier bullets. 1 in 9 is no longer worth considering.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Addendum,

The proplems I have seen with sof-tips deforming have all been in Carbine Length Gas Systems without feed ramps. I think the issue is that action is too violent and the bullets path to the chamber to woonky. It is really all about what you intend to shoot. For home defense I think anyone with the correct twist rate should buy a few boxes of the 75gr Hornaday TAP. The issue with any 5.56 round isn't over penetration of walls, cars etc, 9mm ball penetrates far more than any 5.56mm round, it is lethal effect on target. Once you have taken care of the training piece to insure you can make solid killing hits on the target load your rifle with the best made, most lethal bullets you can lay hands on.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The M21's CAG used at the time of the Battle of Mogandishu were simply the shiniest of the availiable turds. In fact it was a direct result of their middling success that the powers that be concieved, and with the help of the AMU brought to life, the Mk 12 SPR. It is indeed funny that it has taken this long for the Percision Gas Gun to become offically en vogue. Funny thing is that several Active Duty "Snipers" I know that compete in events like the HK shoot and the McMillan Competition have been using privately owned AR-10s in those matches for years. The name of the game is follow-up shots. working a bolt is slow and modern manufacturing techniques have nullified the accuracy gap. The new M110 is indeed the correct answer for Big Army for most of the missions. I wish somebody besides Knights had made it happen as they have QC issues and limited production capacity. I think you will see a bolt gun chambered in either .300 Win Mag or more likely .338 Lapua fill the niche between the .308 M110 and the Light .50s. There is no weapon I have enjoyed firing more that the Supressed Mk 12. It's like God's Squirt Gun of Death!

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Yeah it is the designation for the version of the SR-25 that Big Army and Big Marine Corps are fielding to replace the M24/M40. The SR-25 is the accurized AR-10 that KAC has been fielding to the Spec Ops Community since the mid 90's.

Top Bottom