AR-15 trigger will not reset

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shecfr

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Harvey, LA
    I have a new AR-15 by ABC Rifle, took it to the range today for the first time.

After every shot the trigger would not reset. By moving the safety switch, the trigger would reset
    itself and the gun shoots.

Any suggestions...?

Ddk85

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Near Albany La
    Maybe get a stronger springs, or see if theyre aligned right and grease the surfaces. Try and put forward pressure on the hammer and dry fire a bunch of times to wear the surfaces in. It's a mill spec trigger?

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Other people have a LOT more AR experience than me, and I'm not sure what a person should do. After separating the upper and lower, I'd put a small wooden block or a rag between the hammer and the mag release, and then I replicate the trigger reset/safety wiggle issue by attempting to push the hammer down. It may be debris or a burr, or something not aligned properly. You can dry fire and the rag or wood will prevent it from marring the mag release. Is should all be pretty visible.

Did you ask them about it?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Personally I’d just buy a new mil spec fire control group and be done with it. You could easily pick one up from aero or PSA for a budget build

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Being a new rifle you have a couple options imo. Contact who you purchased it from and see it they will make it right. Return the rifle for repair. Or purchase a quality fire control group and replace the parts yourself. I'd lean towards sending it back and having them make it right. The other will require you spending $60 to 100, and fixing your new rifle yourself.

Last edited:

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Had a friend that had a similar issue. Tried all sorts of things and finally found out the trigger spring was installed wrong.

its easy to check for and there are many videos on how the whole fire control group should be installed.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    @shecfr After you read my suggestion above, think about this. ABC Rifle shipped out a single shot AR-15 rifle from their factory. Great QC.
    I had to google ABC as I had not heard of them.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If you are able to swap out a fire control group, I’ll gladly mail you a fresh set with the springs installed, just use your pins and see if it’s the fix. If not, I’d suspect the pin holes in your receiver are drilled enough out of spec to put the hammer and trigger in a bind. I’ve run into this with cheaper billet lowers in the past on both AR15 and AR10’s. The only fix at that point is a cassette style trigger. If those pin holes aren’t exact, the hammer and trigger can’t mesh like they’re supposed to and the disconnect doesn’t release the hammer when you release the trigger for the reset. I’ve also seen where the problem would cause involuntary double taps to full auto fire. Anyway, PM me an addy and I’ll send a proven polished set to you to try.
    EDIT: if you don’t have a set of punches and or have doubts about the swap I could prolly meet you somewhere and use my portable set up and knock it out for you in a couple minutes. All you’d need to bring is the lower. I’m in Hammond but could venture as far as Manchac exit I-55 (Middendorf’s)

Last edited:

shecfr

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Harvey, LA
    If you are able to swap out a fire control group, I’ll gladly mail you a fresh set with the springs installed, just use your pins and see if it’s the fix. If not, I’d suspect the pin holes in your receiver are drilled enough out of spec to put the hammer and trigger in a bind. I’ve run into this with cheaper billet lowers in the past on both AR15 and AR10’s. The only fix at that point is a cassette style trigger. If those pin holes aren’t exact, the hammer and trigger can’t mesh like they’re supposed to and the disconnect doesn’t release the hammer when you release the trigger for the reset. I’ve also seen where the problem would cause involuntary double taps to full auto fire. Anyway, PM me an addy and I’ll send a proven polished set to you to try.
    Thanks for the offer, I sent a note to the company to see if I can send back for warranty repair.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Mag is the man when it comes to the AR15. The beauty of the AR is its simple lock work, and super easy access to it. Easy to keep clean, easy to mod if you choose to. Eugene Stoner was a design genius.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Mag is the man when it comes to the AR15. The beauty of the AR is its simple lock work, and super easy access to it. Easy to keep clean, easy to mod if you choose to. Eugene Stoner was a design genius.
    Absolutely love the design. Been a fanboy since 1980. Most people building and tinkering with them nowadays have no idea how good they have it.

shecfr

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Harvey, LA
    I went to local gun shop, and they looked at the hammer and noticed the issue
    w/ the release. It needs to be polished or maybe sanded right on the edge of the release.

Here is a pic.

ar134213.jpg

LSUpete2023

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 16, 2022
    Baton Rouge
    Had this happen with a PSA lower. It’s the disconnector spring.

It’s installed backwards

They only go one way

Whoever assembled yours did it wrong

If that’s not it I’ve got an Aero (Schmidt machined) Mil-Spec Trigger group I can help you out with

Top Bottom