AR-15 upper markings

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM-47

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Dickinson, Texas
    I'm looking to sell my AR-15 pistol, but I don't know who/what the upper is, the lower is Anderson AM
    Where do I look to find out where the upper came from

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Not uncommon for zero markings on the upper receiver itself, most all manufacturers or assemblers do not engrave or laser their name on the upper receiver itself. The barrel will prob have caliber and twist on it somewhere, but thats not going to help you ID the upper assembly.

There is only like 8 or 10 who forge, or did forge upper receivers in the US, then sell em to rifle or pistol assemblers. There is also CNC uppers, usually more meaty/chunky vs forged in appearance, and may have some tooling marks visible on it. Then there are cast AL uppers, the least desirable.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Took off the handguard and found this on the barrel

DTI 1x9 CL 5.56 NATO

Im 95% sure that is Del Ton Incorporated. They did assemble and sell uppers, kits, and complete rifles. So this upper has the black plastic handguards? Not a aluminum free float tube?
    What length is the barrel?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Yes, that is a Del ton Inc barrel, just verified on the web. From an on line ad listing:

LSB#: 170318LU23

Make: A2 Hand Guards, DTI Del-Ton Inc. Barrel, Anchor Harvey Aluminum Upper, Yankee Hill Machine brake

Model: AR15

Serial Number: NSN

Year of Manufacture: Modern

Caliber: 5.56 / .223

Action Type: Magazine Fed Semi Automatic

Markings: The muzzle brake is marked "YHM". The barrel is marked "DTI 1x9 CL 5.56 NATO". The upper is marked with a broken "A"

AKM-47

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Dickinson, Texas
    Im 95% sure that is Del Ton Incorporated. They did assemble and sell uppers, kits, and complete rifles. So this upper has the black plastic handguards? Not a aluminum free float tube?
    What length is the barrel?
    It originally came with a quad rail ... the A2 handguard is lighter and does have rails

10.5 in

AKM-47

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Dickinson, Texas
    Yes, that is a Del ton Inc barrel, just verified on the web. From an on line ad listing:

LSB#: 170318LU23

Make: A2 Hand Guards, DTI Del-Ton Inc. Barrel, Anchor Harvey Aluminum Upper, Yankee Hill Machine brake

Model: AR15

Serial Number: NSN

Year of Manufacture: Modern

Caliber: 5.56 / .223

Action Type: Magazine Fed Semi Automatic

Markings: The muzzle brake is marked "YHM". The barrel is marked "DTI 1x9 CL 5.56 NATO". The upper is marked with a broken "A"
    So, it's a Del ton upper??

AKM-47

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Dickinson, Texas
    Here's a pic

LBeZwyb.jpg

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    So, it's a Del ton upper??

I would think so. I doubt anybody pieced together the upper with a Delton barrel but that is possible. Somebody prob purchased the Del Ton 10.5 upper and mated with the Anderson lower assembly. Or it could have been a Del Ton kit minus a stripped lower receiver with the upper fully assembled.

I have one with a 10.5" barrel, A2 front sight, and black plastic guards on a SBR stamped lower. Makes for a light compact collapsible SBR. Quick and easy. Mine is a PSA nitride upper.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom