AR hammer spring too heavy for dedicated .22 upper?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I have a SBR AR-15 that I built a dedicated .22lr upper for. The upper has a 4.5" barrel and is intended to run suppressed, which it does but I want it to run unsuppressed as well. The problem that I am having is that when unsuppressed, there is enough blowback to reset the trigger but not quite enough to complete the extraction of the spent shell casing. The casing gets about 3/4 of the way out and then stops. I know for a fact that it is the hammer causing the problem because the .22 bolt moves smoothly and freely when the upper is off of the lower. When the upper is on the lower, the bolt moves freely UNTIL the bottom of the bolt slides across the hammer. A friend gave me a couple different hammer springs to try but neither solved the problem. The hammer is NOT a notched hammer; it has a smooth face. I have looked at internet modifications of hammer springs but don't want to cause the trigger to become unreliable. Does anybody have any suggestions on lightening the hammer spring enough to work on the .22 upper and not cause light primer strikes on 5.56 ammo?

This is a stock LMT trigger. I know I could probably install a new aftermarket trigger but was looking to avoid the cost of a new trigger at the moment. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, the .22 conversion kit was a CMMG stainless kit that was modified to be a dedicated .22 bolt. Nothing was changed on the bolt except for the removal of the .223 chamber adaptor. I have tried lubricating the bolt but it did not make a difference.

.22 SBR 2.jpg.22 SBR 3.jpg

LArhino

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ruston
    You can try the JP 3.5 lb hammer spring but that could possibly cause light primer strikes on some of the more stubborn .223 primers (I have not had this problem on my ARs but I am only 1 person).

You can also try a Lakeside spring for the .22 conversion kit. They are usually longer than the original spring and from what I have read, they recommend cutting off 3 coils at a time to customize the tension on the carrier. This way you do not have to change the tension on the hammer.

Top Bottom