AR Pistol....WHY AM I DOING THIS?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    I got this wild hair to build a couple matching AR Pistols (both stripped lowers are RGuns 5.56 FDE or sand or whatever). Maybe it would just be cool to have, since I'm not interested in the the process and paying tax on a SBR but, more logically, I think about possible legislations and it seems prudent to put 7" barrel uppers on the lowers while I can. Why a 7" barrel? It's the shortest I can find. I though about caliber choice for a while and keep thinking that 5.56 is best because I have other 5.56 ARs and that's just less confusion or other things to shop around for.

It seemed prudent to research AR Pistols and of course I get a bunch of youtube videos, no real articles and mostly people like myself, asking questions. So here, are my questions.

Does anyone have a caliber recomendation?
    What type of iron sights do you recommend for a AR pistol?
    Do you have a muzzle device recomendation?
    Do you have a barrel length recommendation?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I would recommend 5.56, but wouldn't go below 10" if your intentions are anything more than making fireballs. If you want to go shorter, 300BLK is a good choice. Maybe build one of each.

Any standard irons should work, although being a pistol I think you'd be better off with a quality optic. Irons require a much better cheek weld to shoot accurately, and that's a luxury not afforded to an AR pistol.

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    I'm not interested in fireballs. What I'm really interested in is something I can still conceal in a bag and carry around and it not be my regular carry pistol but that's a topic for another thread.

So I'm assuming that the 300BLK has all around better ballistics then 5.56 in short barrel?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I'm not interested in fireballs. What I'm really interested in is something I can still conceal in a bag and carry around and it not be my regular carry pistol but that's a topic for another thread.

So I'm assuming that the 300BLK has all around better ballistics then 5.56 in short barrel?
    It uses a pistol powder.

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    If staying with 5.56 ditto the recommendation on no shorter than 10" for ballistic performance. If you are set on a 7"barrel I would steer you towards a Glock20 with a 6" barrel. You'll still have reliable 30 round (well 29) mags available but the 10mm will give you better performance than a 7" 5.56

sph1480

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Destrehan, La
    I built a 5.56 pistol and fired it for months while waiting on my tax stamp and had no problems. It has a 7" barrel and I now shoot it as an sbr and its just as accurate(pretty close) at 100 yards as my friends full length ar. I use a vortex sparc red dot and love it. I also use a noveske flaming pig on the barrel and can't complain.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I've got a 5.56 pistol that I use and my daughter can also handle it. It's fun. I'd like to make one more for her with 10" barrel but todays prices is hard to find anything.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I built a 5.56 pistol and fired it for months while waiting on my tax stamp and had no problems. It has a 7" barrel and I now shoot it as an sbr and its just as accurate(pretty close) at 100 yards as my friends full length ar. I use a vortex sparc red dot and love it. I also use a noveske flaming pig on the barrel and can't complain.

Accuracy is not the primary concern with a 7" barrel. The problem is that your bullet is leaving the barrel at velocities already below the fragmentation threshhold. Yaw and fragmentation is the primary wounding method of 5.56 and it depends greatly on velocity to achieve it.

So it's fine if your pistol/SBR is a "toy", but I would never consider it a viable option for defensive use as it has an effective range of about 2', and that's only because you'll burn the **** out of them. :)

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

AK folder fits in a tennis racket case....

sph1480

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Destrehan, La
    Accuracy is not the primary concern with a 7" barrel. The problem is that your bullet is leaving the barrel at velocities already below the fragmentation threshhold. Yaw and fragmentation is the primary wounding method of 5.56 and it depends greatly on velocity to achieve it.

So it's fine if your pistol/SBR is a "toy", but I would never consider it a viable option for defensive use as it has an effective range of about 2', and that's only because you'll burn the **** out of them. :)

I think he was looking for some suggestions as far as what works for other people. He stated "maybe it would be cool to have". Well, I have one and was just sharing what parts I used because he asked. My gun is not a defensive weapon. I enjoy having guns that aren't your everyday off the shelf type. It's a range gun at best and usually sees more .22 cal than anything else. If this person is asking for defensive proposes I would have to agree with you, but it seemed to me like his gun will be used more for fun.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I think he was looking for some suggestions as far as what works for other people. He stated "maybe it would be cool to have". Well, I have one and was just sharing what parts I used because he asked. My gun is not a defensive weapon. I enjoy having guns that aren't your everyday off the shelf type. It's a range gun at best and usually sees more .22 cal than anything else. If this person is asking for defensive proposes I would have to agree with you, but it seemed to me like his gun will be used more for fun.

I agree and don't think an AR pistol is a great defensive weapon anyway, just throwing the info out there in case it helps the decision. He did mention wanting to "carry it", but like he said that's a topic for another thread. :D

nomadicdread

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Seattle
    Reply fail, I had a long response and it failed to stick.....sigh.

So I'll get right down to it. I want a defensive pistol on the AR platform but, based on what SpeedRacer said, 5.56 is useless in 7" for defensive purposes. So i'm steering away from that. Now, is 300BLK carry defensive ballistics in a 7"?

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Great knowledge sharing and very timely info for me. I'm in the middle of the same quest, just waiting for a couple of pieces to arrive.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

I use ammo that does great out of 7.5" barrels well past 100 yards, and it's readily available, but that doesn't change the fact that it totally sucks to shoot. I shot a 7.5" AR "Pistol" once before and even with ears on it was hell and I will never do it again.

OP: Have you shot this combo? It SUCKS!

I think using ammo that relies on fragmenting for terminal performance for anything but training will continue to go out of style as the military continues to advance with expanding rounds in 5.56, and civilian hunters and LE find how awesome the .223/5.56 performs with proper expanding ammunition.

Last edited:

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I got rid of my 7" pistol because it reminded me of Shakespeare.

"Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I just wish I'd kept it a month longer. Damn prices went up quickly.

Cajun_Tiger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    Lafayette
    i find it really doesn't matter if its 10" or 7" pistol, both make huge fire balls. I know this b/c my dads co-pilot made him a matching set here in Lafayette. I believe his set has 10" barrels on them and the fire ball is rediculiously huge.

hoghunter54

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Westlake,la.
    If you just looking for toying or plinking.Pistol is fun.Id make it a 5.45x.39 for reasons of ammo pricing.The 5.45 is around 12 cents a round and will more than likely be that for awhile.The barrel length is ok from 7-10.5.Also Not sure who said it,but buying a barrel in 300 blk less than 10.2 inches is a bad idea.When they did the testing,they found the breakdown started at around 10.2 and below.If you want to double check my reading,your more than welcome to google 300 blk and lots will come up with the guys that did the actually testing.I will look it up later and send it to you.The 300blk pistol at 10.5 is a hoot to shoot.My 5.45 pistol is a hoot to shoot.So build ,give a hoot and enjoy the shoot !!!!

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    I put a 7.5 inch upper with a KX3 on my SBR last week. I shot a mag through it and decided that wasn't for me. Even with good ear protection it was loud as **** and couldn't see any value over my 11.5 inch. I sold it quickly and bought a 12.5 300 blackout which I am much happier with at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom