Armadillo In Mustard Sauce

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    ARMADILLO IN MUSTARD SAUCE RECIPE

1 1/4 cups dry white wine
    1/2 cup oil
    2 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
    1/4 cup butter
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 tsp. thyme
    1/2 tsp. rosemary
    1 med. onion, sliced thin
    1 armadillo, cleaned and cut into serving pieces
    (Louisiana prefered but Texas dillo will do)
    1 1/4 cups light cream
    1 tbsp. brown mustard (e.g. Gulden's) or Poupon Dijon
    1 tbsp. cornstarch

Mix all ingredients of marinade and add armadillo. Marinate about 8 hrs., turning meat occasionally. Remove armadillo and reserve marinade.

Melt butter in deep skillet and brown armadillo pieces. Pour in marinade and bring to a boil. Stir in seasoning, cover and simmer until tender (about 1 - 1 1/4 hours.) Remove skillet from the fire and place armadillo pieces on a warmed platter.

Mix mustard and cornstarch, then mix in cream. Return skillet to low heat and stir in this mixture a little at a time. Stir sauce until hot, but not boiling, and thickened. Pour sauce over armadillo. Serve with steamed rice.

Next week I'll be sharing my Armadillo on the Half-Shell recipe! ;)
    Enjoy
    Snookie

Last edited:

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Next Saturday

Next Saturday
    Armadillo on the Half Shell
    You'll want to prepair this one for Thanksgiving;)

Armadillo.gif

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Do people really eat armadillos?
    It may seem like an odd question, but the answer is “Yes”. In many areas of Central and South America, armadillo meat is often used as part of an average diet. Armadillo meat is a traditional ingredient in Oaxaca, Mexico. I have heard that some peoples of South America keep small varieties of armadillos as edible housepets. During the Depression, armadillos were often eaten by hungry people. They were called “Hoover hogs” by people angry with then-President Herbert Hoover’s broken promise of a chicken in every pot. The meat is said to taste like fine-grained, high-quality pork.

I have seen several online recipes for armadillo, and I have been told that armadillo meat is an acceptable substitute for pork, chicken, or beef in many dishes. (I have not yet had an opportunity to dine on armadillo myself, so I can&38217; say personally whether this is true.) If you have access to armadillo meat, don’t be afraid to try it, but you should make sure that the meat is cooked thoroughly to avoid the possibility of contracting a disease. Armadillos are known to carry leprosy, and although the incidence level is fairly low in most regions there is still a risk of transmission if the meat is undercooked.

Top Bottom