Arrows 101

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    As some of you know, I picked up my first compound bow a few weeks ago, and finally got it back a couple days ago. I was hoping to get some help from the archery shop, but they didn't seem too interested in helping a newbie..

I have four Carbon Express speed freak 55/70 arrows that came with the bow. 30" and weighs 9.7gpi. I think they group well, though i've only shot it out to 15-20 yards, and won't be taking any shots past 15 yards. I picked up some 100gr muzzy mx3 broadheads to hunt with. The draw weight is "a little under 70", and he didn't know what draw length is because it isn't adjustable...

Someone mentioned to me I should get arrows labeled 65/80 because its an older bow, and they're better with heavier arrows. I see some 65/80 arrows weighing less than mine, which had me confused. Not sure if the 55/70 and 65/80 is a recommendation on spine or weight.

My goal with this bow is to be proficient with it at <20 yards to hunt white tail.

- - - Updated - - -

Bow is a used PSE Thunderbolt Infinity

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

rm2092

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Harvey, La
    Hey Neil09, I was curious to what shop was not that helpful ? I just bought my first compound bow and I'll be needing some help out of the box maybe ?

rm2092

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Harvey, La
    I'm on the Westbank, I have been to his store several times. Sammy had tried to get me a bow but I'm a Lefty so it was going to take some time so I found what I was looking for on eBay for a real good price with all the accessories installed at the time of purchase, there Hunters package with the draw and weight set up done when I placed the order. So all I'll need done out of the box would be to tie in the peep sight ?

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    St Landry Lumber in Opelousas. The links were cery helpful, thanks. I just don't understand how mine are labeled 55/70 and weigh 9.7gpi, but the 65/80s I were looking at were only 9gpi?

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I'm on the Westbank, I have been to his store several times. Sammy had tried to get me a bow but I'm a Lefty so it was going to take some time so I found what I was looking for on eBay for a real good price with all the accessories installed at the time of purchase, there Hunters package with the draw and weight set up done when I placed the order. So all I'll need done out of the box would be to tie in the peep sight ?

Peep sight and release string, ( as long as it already has a sight and rest) unless your going to hook your release didrectly to your bow string. I would let Sammie tune it also, only takes a few minutes for him to shoot it thru paper. Then you can go upstairs to the range and test it.

rm2092

Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Harvey, La
    Here is what was included free, so I paid retail with free shipping and these items installed along with the draw length set and poundage.

Included accessories
    Trophy Ridge Hit-Man 5 Sight
    Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuit Arrow Rest
    Trophy Ridge Dart Stabilizer
    Trophy Ridge Sling
    Diamond Q5 5 Arrow Quiver
    Peep Sight
    6 Carbon Express Arrows
    True-Fire Patriot Release

_Big_Al_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Lafayette
    Do not be concerned with the weight per inch of the arrow it actually has nothing to due with the spine (stiffness). You do need that info to make sure you are shooting a heavy enough arrow so as not to damage your equipment, as well as make sure you are getting enough kinetic energy. Spine comes from wall thickness, diameter, length, and how heavy your broad head and nock, inserts, etc are.

There is a lot more to picking the correct arrow than just screwing on a broad head to whatever the latest hype in arrows is. but it is not that complicated and I can put it into layman's terms for you.

If your goal is to be proficient at 20 yards practice at further distances will be a huge help.

if you would like to get into this more you can PM me.

Former archery shop owner and sponsored shooter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom