As Promised, Better Pictures... Staking pics added per request

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    ... of the product of my weakness.

SigSauerM400EnhancedwithCase.jpg

SigSauerM400Enhanced-1.jpg

SigSauerM400Closeup.jpg

Last edited:

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Any pix of gas-key and castle-nut staking?
    Sure, here ya go...

M400Bolt.jpg

M400CastleNutStaking.jpg

was this a good buy?

and is it a "wal-mart" version? we all know wal mart has its own serial number items.
    It was a good enough buy that I did so without even actively being in the market... the upgrades and extras is what makes it a good deal for me. As for Walmart serial numbers, the serial numbers look like standard Sig Sauer serial numbers to me... but even if they weren't, what difference would THAT make?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    It was a good enough buy that I did so without even actively being in the market... the upgrades and extras is what makes it a good deal for me. As for Walmart serial numbers, the serial numbers look like standard Sig Sauer serial numbers to me... but even if they weren't, what difference would THAT make?

It can be indicative of the reason that the price point was so low.

Examples:

They sell a certain model of Savage that, bought anywhere BUT Walmart, has the Accutrigger. Theirs does not.
    They (at least used to) sell a Mossberg shotgun with a NOTABLY thinner barrel than was available anywhere else. (When one needed replacing, it had to be pointed out that it was a "Walmart serial number" so that the right barrel was shipped.)

Those are the only two I know of for sure-- I'm guessing Sig and Colt wouldn't give them the time of day on that type of thing, but who knows anymore...

It's akin to what you see in say... a safe from Academy. The "exact same model" is 50% more costly anywhere else-- and when you open it up and see how thin the walls are, and check the differences in overall weight... you know why. Again-- not all products are going to be that way, but I have personally witnessed that some indeed are "cheaper" variants (and not just in terms of the price tag).

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area

Examples:

They sell a certain model of Savage that, bought anywhere BUT Walmart, has the Accutrigger. Theirs does not.
    They (at least used to) sell a Mossberg shotgun with a NOTABLY thinner barrel than was available anywhere else. (When one needed replacing, it had to be pointed out that it was a "Walmart serial number" so that the right barrel was shipped.)

Those are the only two I know of for sure-- I'm guessing Sig and Colt wouldn't give them the time of day on that type of thing, but who knows anymore...

It's akin to what you see in say... a safe from Academy. The "exact same model" is 50% more costly anywhere else-- and when you open it up and see how thin the walls are, and check the differences in overall weight... you know why. Again-- not all products are going to be that way, but I have personally witnessed that some indeed are "cheaper" variants (and not just in terms of the price tag).

Which certain Savage is that? Just so I know to avoid it.

Jester

I thought it was funny...
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    New Orleans Area

Examples:

You wouldn't think a manufacturer would be willing to risk the reputation of their brand name as they make a quick buck catering to a lower-end price-point need, but they are.

Price Pfister (a Black & Decker company that makes faucets)...
    Ridgid Tools...
    Grohe Faucets....
    Globe Union....
    Rheem Water Heaters (although at least they protect the Rheem name under a retail brand name)...

Just to name a few that I am intimately familiar with.

I've heard John Deere does it with their retail lawn-tractor product, but I can't speak with authority on that.
    These others I can, because we are routinely challenged to find repair parts for the retail-channel product, and wholesale-channel parts made for the professional trade simply will not interchange in many cases.

Mike

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    These others I can, because we are routinely challenged to find repair parts for the retail-channel product, and wholesale-channel parts made for the professional trade simply will not interchange in many cases.

Mike

That, unfortunately, seems to be when most folks first learn of the difference-- when the lesser quality stuff breaks.

I've heard for years that they do the same thing with TVs and other electronics, but don't know anyone in that industry well enough to get a definitive answer.

Everyone knows about the Walmart business model-- sell a few things at bare-bones profit, break even point or even a small loss to get people in the store, and hammer profits out on mass sales of the other items that they pick up while they're there.

Of course it's hard to recover from a $200 loss from 10% mark ups on bath mats and toothpaste, even if you create a lifetime customer... Common sense would indicate that if they're cheaper than even specialty big-box-retail stores (BestBuy, Academy, etc.), there's probably another reason for it.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I've got a Sig P238 I bought from academy for $430 and the same exact model was $100 more at bud's gun shop (and everywhere else i could find it).

Not sure why it was such a deal there but I've compared it to one a friend picked up from bud's and it's the exact same from what I can tell with my eyes.

I don't think Sig has special cheaper serial numbers like what was mentioned earlier in the thread :dunno:

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    There's a LARGE difference between model variants such as the downgraded Marlin 336 that was sold in Walmarts as Marlin 30, 30A, 30AS and 30AW and a "serial number" system designating them as such.

Last edited:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Cub cadet mowers are often sold at the home repair centers, and they are a different quality than ones sold at authorized retailers and dealers.. most are not serviceable beyond the most basic

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    That, unfortunately, seems to be when most folks first learn of the difference-- when the lesser quality stuff breaks.

I've heard for years that they do the same thing with TVs and other electronics, but don't know anyone in that industry well enough to get a definitive answer.

Everyone knows about the Walmart business model-- sell a few things at bare-bones profit, break even point or even a small loss to get people in the store, and hammer profits out on mass sales of the other items that they pick up while they're there.

Of course it's hard to recover from a $200 loss from 10% mark ups on bath mats and toothpaste, even if you create a lifetime customer... Common sense would indicate that if they're cheaper than even specialty big-box-retail stores (BestBuy, Academy, etc.), there's probably another reason for it.

i doubt the sig rifle is a loss lead item. They may only be making 25 per weapon, but probably signed a contract for 2000 of them.... Their sale items if anything are the loss lead, not guns. Even the markdown items still have a margin on them normally...

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    i doubt the sig rifle is a loss lead item. They may only be making 25 per weapon, but probably signed a contract for 2000 of them.... Their sale items if anything are the loss lead, not guns. Even the markdown items still have a margin on them normally...

Exactly.

I'm not sure how their prices on the Colts or Sigs compare to say... Cabela's, Academy, Bud's, etc.-- but if it's ridiculously cheaper, there's probably another reason for it.

Unless their super-advanced business model is way above my head. The rifles will sell just as fast marked down $100 (from $1k+) than they will marked down $175-- why cost yourself the profit? The cheapest rifle, ESPECIALLY when it's as easy to find as stopping by Walmart, is going to get the business every time...

Unless people really are so retarded as to spend $825 when they wouldn't spend $900... "OOOH, less than 10% back-- now I HAVE to have it..."? Wait... yeah. Now it makes sense... :rofl:

Malachi

Yes, I'm new.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Morgan City
    as far as TV's go, YES! different serial numbers. i learned this back in 97 when my parents bought a 35" tube from wal-mart for some $ cheaper than REX to find out its NOT the same. or maybe they got the one from REX after we realized it. (had one less input) and the same goes for Tires also.

AND NOW get this, i am just realizing, that I THINK the same can be said for my PS3. after doing some research, i cannot find my serial number in their data base. it doesnt look close to any of theirs :-(

ok, so it does seem legit, cool, thanks,

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lilvonte722
    Top Bottom