Ascension Parish School Board

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

Lurking
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    wrong. having to drive to the school to reclaim my 500.00 smart phone is incentive for me to parent my child.

demanding a fee to hand me my property back is crap, and id be a pain in their ass bigger than an elephant on a poodle

Do you feel the same way about a repeat offender? The rule was created for a reason and I don't think it's to profit off of parents. Parents like you might be the reason the private schools do so well in BR.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    emailed a good friend over there in the SB, and they pretty much said if you don't like the policy, don't let your kid bring a phone to school, if you can't live with the policy they are other schools.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Do you feel the same way about a repeat offender? The rule was created for a reason and I don't think it's to profit off of parents. Parents like you might be the reason the private schools do so well in BR.

first off, private schools do well because public schools in this state are third world quality. secondly, my child will attend private school for reason prior stated.

and yes, after this I called a friend working at a local private school and asked what their policy was. "if you came to retrieve it, we'd certainly give it to you. repeated offenses would result in disciplinary actions"

^ that is logical and acceptable.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    While in this case it may be a misunderstanding between the teacher and the student, in most cases you're not bribing the school for your property to be returned. The fee is an incentive for parents to be parents and teach their kid about responsibility.

So the school board is trying to teach parents how to parent? By making it harder for them to retrieve the property? Hours that most adults are at work. Pretty dumb if you ask me.
    And the same gripe goes on here about the government sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    So the school board is trying to teach parents how to parent? By making it harder for them to retrieve the property? Hours that most adults are at work. Pretty dumb if you ask me.
    And the same gripe goes on here about the government sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.

remember that 90% of educators are liberal. they know whats best for you, because you don't.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    A similar situation happened to a family friend, several years ago. His son mistakenly grabbed his work phone and brought it with him to school- and managed to get it taken away by the principal using it in class. Being a contractor, the guy's cell phone was an important tool for his work, and he needed it back ASAP. We can all relate, right?

Of course, he still wanted to let the kid learn his lesson, so he brought the son's phone to school that afternoon to swap it for his. The principal reminded him of the school's zero tolerance policy- and that he couldn't get his phone back until the end of the school year. Not even in a swap for the kid's. He asked the principal if this was a joke. The guy said no, it wasn't.

After a few choice words between the two, he decided to leave before things got out of hand. But before he left, he informed the principal that he would no longer be available to help with the athletic facilities that weekend (or any in the future)- and that the $700 worth of materials he was donating wouldn't be either :). He canceled the phone, and took his son's as his own.

Still had to scramble for his contacts, though. :mad::mad:

Yep...That is just an unreasonable action for the school to not return a phone to the contractor. Its crap IMO. I understand why the school board came up with the rule...But IMO..It is nothing more than another example of a government body passing a law which goes way too far. And it is counterproductive.
    But then again...think about politics. Many politicians start their political career in the local school board. Then, once they get name recognition...They move on up the ladder to city council....etc.

So...why would we expect school boards to do the right thing when the "better" and more successful members are the ones who end up in Congress.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    emailed a good friend over there in the SB, and they pretty much said if you don't like the policy, don't let your kid bring a phone to school, if you can't live with the policy they are other schools.

Going to another school is not an option. She is a sophomore and sta high other than this policy was never bad. It's where I attended and graduated from. I will discuss the matter at the next board meeting if possible. If the kid is caught then by all means discipline them. I would as well at home as my mother has done to her.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    remember that 90% of educators are liberal. they know whats best for you, because you don't.

it seems as if some school board members need to be reminded something; that they creat policies for students not parents or fellow adults. I am going to start this process with a formal letter to the director of high schools for this parish. a close friend of my fathers is an attorney involved in a suit with the board now involving the district changes made. I will seek his imput and see what he thinks after I hear back from the director.
    I do not believe that I am taking an excessive stance on this matter and will procede with steps of professional standards.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'd have a serious sit-down with the principal and tell them that my child has lost cell phone priviledges and will not have it at school again, if they confiscate it ever again I welcome them to keep it.

Then buy a few prepaid trac fones and throw one in my kids backpack for calls/emergencies, and let them use the smart phone anytime away from school.

If school takes the trac fone, so what, thats = 10.00 and saves you the headache.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yep...That is just an unreasonable action for the school to not return a phone to the contractor. Its crap IMO. I understand why the school board came up with the rule...But IMO..It is nothing more than another example of a government body passing a law which goes way too far. And it is counterproductive.
    But then again...think about politics. Many politicians start their political career in the local school board. Then, once they get name recognition...They move on up the ladder to city council....etc.

So...why would we expect school boards to do the right thing when the "better" and more successful members are the ones who end up in Congress.

Yep. I was floored when I first heard that one. In this case, the school was the loser over this crap. This guy was always the one to step up and give a hand- and more- when it was needed. That was totally out of line- especially when the guy didn't go up there to try and justify his boy's stupid behavior. He was trying to do the right thing in the process of getting his property back. But the principal said none of that mattered. :dunno:

I seem to remember (this was around 2006) something about the principal trying to contact him about it a couple of weeks later, but he told him he had already resolved the matter on his end- and that he could keep the phone. :dogkeke:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am vehemently opposed to ANY policy that prohibits my kid from having a way for me to get in touch with him. We live in a corridor of potential horror with chemical plants, nuclear plants, whatever. If a toxic cloud of death (see Bhopal / Union Carbide tragedy), or some civil unrest, is released anywhere near my kids school, I want to talk to my kid! Immediately, and without delay! It could be the last time I talk to him!

Now that being stated, I don't want my kid to be a douche and violate others privacy by breaking sensible rules prohibiting him from disturbing others pursuit of education, but this attitude that the school and its faculty should decide when I or my kid gets the phone back is absurd and dangerous!

Da wabbit is right, threaten to sue!

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    What's a kid need a cell phone at school for anyway?
    Does it help them learn more?
    Listen to music?

Many of us made it through high school and college and didnt have one.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Just my thoughts.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    What's a kid need a cell phone at school for anyway?
    Does it help them learn more?
    Listen to music?

Many of us made it through high school and college and didnt have one.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Just my thoughts.

lets consider that.

a cell phone is also: an organizer, a scheduler, a calculator, a flashlight, and a means to immediately research any question presented to the student on a moments notice. the days of "learning the answer" are over. welcome to the days where "learning out how to FIND the answer" is king.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I am vehemently opposed to ANY policy that prohibits my kid from having a way for me to get in touch with him. We live in a corridor of potential horror with chemical plants, nuclear plants, whatever. If a toxic cloud of death (see Bhopal / Union Carbide tragedy), or some civil unrest, is released anywhere near my kids school, I want to talk to my kid! Immediately, and without delay! It could be the last time I talk to him!

Now that being stated, I don't want my kid to be a douche and violate others privacy by breaking sensible rules prohibiting him from disturbing others pursuit of education, but this attitude that the school and its faculty should decide when I or my kid gets the phone back is absurd and dangerous!

Da wabbit is right, threaten to sue!

I'm with you.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'd have a serious sit-down with the principal and tell them that my child has lost cell phone priviledges and will not have it at school again, if they confiscate it ever again I welcome them to keep it.

Then buy a few prepaid trac fones and throw one in my kids backpack for calls/emergencies, and let them use the smart phone anytime away from school.

If school takes the trac fone, so what, thats = 10.00 and saves you the headache.

now that weve had this discussion, this is going to be my preemptive attack on this problem. im glad we discussed it.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Yep. I was floored when I first heard that one. In this case, the school was the loser over this crap. This guy was always the one to step up and give a hand- and more- when it was needed. That was totally out of line- especially when the guy didn't go up there to try and justify his boy's stupid behavior. He was trying to do the right thing in the process of getting his property back. But the principal said none of that mattered. :dunno:

I seem to remember (this was around 2006) something about the principal trying to contact him about it a couple of weeks later, but he told him he had already resolved the matter on his end- and that he could keep the phone. :dogkeke:

see that is where I can't go down to their level. I cannot stop donating to the clubs because then it hurts kids and students that need it. We buy plates from the FFA club and make a donation so that some members whose parents couldn't cover the total trip can attend the national FFA convention in Indianapolis. Same thing with the band program. We buy things to show support and donate undisclosed amounts to them as a company so that players can attend events like Bands of America etc.

I could have threatened that yesterday but that isnt how I was raised and I won't do that. I am pursueing this directly because I feel it is not acceptable for the school to hold my or anyone elses property that was not involved in a criminal matter. I may not have a dog in this fight now but I may in the future. Imagine if every person just didn't step forward to do something because it didn't currently involve them.

Spoke with the director again this morning. We both had some time to actually talk now. I explained to him where I stood and why. He could validate my concerns and understood them. He stated the system in place may not be the best but it is an evolving plan; that the cell phone policy currently in place has only been enforced for two years. The problem with anytime pick ups was it stopped administration from their work to track down a phone to be handed back to the parent and then if the teacher had not turned it in yet to the office having to track down said teacher etc. Most teachers are unable to turn the phone in until the end of the day if confiscated after their conference period. He asked me to attend a meeting with him and propose a more efficient solution. So looks like the ball is in my court; hopefully what I propose will be preached onto open ears.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Lets face it....Cell Phones are a standard part of everyones life today. Yes, they can be a distraction, and that is why we have to have rules which punish unreasonable behavior. But, they are a "necessity in a way."
    Sure...I would survive without my phone...But they are a standard part of everyones life. So...lets just accept that. So at that point...all the school boards need to do is find a way to penalize the child who ignores the rules.

And that said...and since almost everyone hates to be without a cell phone for even a day...Why not just keep the phone for 24 hours...or 48 hours....Or a period of time and a detention of some sort at the principals discretion. I can assure you...most kids would go crazy to loose their phone for even a day. Problem solved.

Unfortunately....all it takes is some school board members who are radical Hitler Youth types that want to make a name for themselves...And they come up with a policy like this which keeps a phone which belongs to a parent. Anyone with a lick of sense can tell the difference between a kids phone and a contractors phone by looking at the contacts and the Apps. It ain't rocket science.

But...I'm not surprised. Because some people with a little power let that power go to their heads. A few years back...New Orleans Traffic Court initiated a policy of NO CELL PHONES---Period. Just a crazy policy put in place because a judge did not want to hear a phone ring. Soo...that meant that when one gets to the entrance and X-ray machines...You were turned back and had to walk to your car to lock your phone in the car.

Wonderful and genius policy led to NUMEROUS....Probably hundreds of cars getting broken into and phones stolen, since the thugs would just watch to see who was turned away...then watch to see which car the person locked his 700.00 phone into.

JUST STUPID idiotic policy which caused way too much trouble for many, many people for at least 2 years before they finally changed it back to the way it is now. I think they just have a sign...turn your phone off. And the bailiff confiscates it and they make you wait a while to get it back. But...they do give it back. Why...because we all feel the need to have a phone now.

By the way...I agree with you in that the true solution is to GO TO THE BOARD meeting and address this issue. Its should be an easy fix...providing they have reasonable school board members. And it sounds like you have a valid gripe with some great examples of how this policy sucks...And its just OVERKILL.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom