Ascension Parish School Board

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    This is the problem with schools and parents. Parents want the school to be like burger king. Have it your way. What does it say to the kid who whips out his cell phone in class that the parent will come up there and raise holy hell because they can't get their cell phone back RIGHT THEN! The school has rules in place. Business shouldn't come to a halt because a parent rolls in an demands something. There is a process for getting the phones back. I don't see what the problem is? Somebody was inconvenienced? OMFG start the shooting squads?

I guess I was raised in a different time. My wife is a teacher and the butthurt holier than thou parents are the reason their kids are little f***heads. Think about it, if you won't respect the school administration and their policies then why should they? They won't. And why the hell do kids need to have cell phones in school at all? I made it through senior year without one. I didn't die, get lost, raped kidnapped, etc.

/Rant off

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    Don't be ignorant. It does not prevent crime. It may give a potential victim another chance, like any other tool...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Don't be ignorant. It does not prevent crime. It may give a potential victim another chance, like any other tool...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ignorant? Good man, I investigate crimes and deal with victims on a daily basis. My post isn't the one containing ignorance.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I'd have a serious sit-down with the principal and tell them that my child has lost cell phone priviledges and will not have it at school again, if they confiscate it ever again I welcome them to keep it.

Then buy a few prepaid trac fones and throw one in my kids backpack for calls/emergencies, and let them use the smart phone anytime away from school.

If school takes the trac fone, so what, thats = 10.00 and saves you the headache.

Being pro active is always better than being reactive and that is an excellent idea. That said sending a kid with a prepaid phone to school takes away their "cool" factor. Also no internet functions. I wonder when the carriers will come out with "Principal Confiscation" insurance? Your kid gets a loaner until the original is sprung. If they can make a $ on they will.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Being pro active is always better than being reactive and that is an excellent idea. That said sending a kid with a prepaid phone to school takes away their "cool" factor. Also no internet functions. I wonder when the carriers will come out with "Principal Confiscation" insurance? Your kid gets a loaner until the original is sprung. If they can make a $ on they will.

This is a good idea. If your kid HAS to have a cell phone, one without facebook, candy crush, snapchat, angry birds or internet takes away the temptation to play with it in class.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    This is a good idea. If your kid HAS to have a cell phone, one without facebook, candy crush, snapchat, angry birds or internet takes away the temptation to play with it in class.

Another excellent point. Kids go to school for an education. Not to play angry birds.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Lets get this straight. No one was playing on the phone. She was not even in class.
    It was an inconvenience to be told you can only pick them up two days out of five between 2 hours in the middle of the day.

They are allowed to use their phone for classwork when authorized; they teach them how to set events in it so they can be reminded of important dates etc.

So the exaggeration of a shooting squad is a bit much dude. We agree on a lot of **** Joel but I think you may be being biased on this one because your wife is a teacher. This is the same high school I graduated from not too long ago, I know how the school it and its students. I also do not have a direct affiliation with this policy so my opinion is purely an outsider looking in. Rules are one thing like no alcohol at a student function. By adults or anyone else. This one is just one I don't agree with as a policy. I also would like to know what the $10 fee goes towards; what is that money used to improve?

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    The policy on cell phones and other electronic devices already strange. Cell phones are allowed to be kept on the person and only used when authorized by faculty. She was walking from one class to another in the hall when a teacher took it from her hand without consent.
    According to the OP...the phone was confiscated in the hallway. If she was checking a text...And she was in the hallway..and that is wrong...then the school policy sucks IMO.

School policies and for that matter...all Laws...should be formed with common sense and a need. Whats the point of a policy banning a student from using a cell phone in the hallway between classes.

If someone can enlighten me on the logic for banning cell phone use in a hallway....Then maybe I can agree with the need for such a policy. But IMO...It seems like a stupid policy.

What about texting. Lets say I needed to contact my child...so I texted them. If the student can't look at the phone...can't respond to the text, then what is the point of even allowing the student to have the phone. I thought that the reason schools allowed students to have cell phones was so that parents can reach their children. Once reached...the child will need to respond to the parent, otherwise the parent will wonder if the child received the message.

Do you see where I am going here ?

Personally...I still think that the answer is to attend the School Board meeting in order to address this flawed policy.

Top Bottom