Ascension Parish School Board

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Does any member here work for the school board of ascension parish on administration or is a board member? Please Inbox me if you prefer not to comment here.

I have several concerns involving the cell phone policy at the high school. In particular the part about a parent or guardian only being allowed to pick up their property on Tuesday and Thursday between the hours of 12:00 PM and 2:00 PM. Along with a $10.00 processing fee.

Once I ask for the cell phone back which belongs to me I do not think it is necessarily legal to not relinquish the device at my request. This is a school policy and not a law, also it's only support is that of the attorney generals opinion which is unclear.

I understand the confiscation from
    The student and dislocate action because it is school policy; however not handing over my property when I ask is wrong. Especially seeing how the phone was not used any any crime... Someone can't take anything that belongs to me and then not
    Give it back until they say so. It's still possession of stolen property?

Confiscation from the student is one thing but not surrendering it to the owner is another. I'm not a student nor do I agree with that student policy. In my opinion is doesn't trump any laws.

Last edited:

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    HAd same Problem in Washington Parish. Principle refused to hand it over. I called Sherrifs Office and School Board. I file a report and Deputy told the Princaple to hand over the cell phone or be charged with theft. You are correct that it is a rule violation not a law. It was a simple mistake. I used my sons back pack Sunday evening on a trip to the State park. I forgot my cell in one of the front zippered compartments. Monday morning I couldnt find it so I called it and my sond Teacher answered it. Good Luck.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I called Ascension Parish sheriffs department spoke with their head of resource officers Deputy. He said this was school board policy and they would not intervene.
    I asked him what if I filed a police report for possession of stolen item and he laughed saying no. Also that I can get in trouble possibly for filing a false police report

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    The policy on cell phones and other electronic devices already strange. Cell phones are allowed to be kept on the person and only used when authorized by faculty. She was walking from one class to another in the hall when a teacher took it from her hand without consent.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Well i was hoping to get some feedback here before i typed an email to the director of the school board for high schools but if I'm in the wrong no reason to go against it. Wouldn't have the support to make a a difference.

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    I'm sick and tired of frivolous policies that completely disregard common sense and the rule of law. It is absurd and I would complain until they get a headache every time they hear my name.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    You won't get anywhere legally. Don't posture up. Just get the cell phone and move on. Dole out some harsh discipline to the kid that brought it.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    You won't get anywhere legally. Don't posture up. Just get the cell phone and move on. Dole out some harsh discipline to the kid that brought it.

Well see that's the thing. They are allowed to bring their phones to school. Can even have them out for music and all; when the teacher says so on class. This was taken between classes in the hall/outside walkway.

Legally I didn't really wanna go that route. However, push the board for a change in policy was what I was looking for. I don't think it's right to tell a parent and owner of the device they can't get it back unless its "this time". I'm not a student nor a criminal. I am their equal.

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    Who had the cellphone on school property? It wasn't your kid as you aren't that old. Was it your fiance? That just sounds weird.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    My moms niece.

My mother is raising her god child (the niece) Can't get into details about it on the board. (Just know its best for her) I'm the account holder for the phone so I went up there with her just in case I had to be. The refused to surrender the device at our request. It was only after a call into the board director for high schools that they called my mom to retrieve the phone. He never called me back after my message by the administrator of the school called her and said she had been told to release he phone. Which is what got me thinking how "wrong" it was per say and if I was the only one that thought this way. (Other than almost all the other adults at work) so I wanted to ask if anyone thought a policy change was possible. That's where it starts right? For anything a group of people don't agree with you go forward and attempt to achieve a change.

My fiancé wasn't involved.

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    If you desire to have the policy changed the best way to go about that is to get on the discipline review committee. They are required to have community input into discipline policies, and are required to review policies every school year. It is easier to get on the committee if you are polite. Be warned, if you get a seat at the table you will be shocked at what kinds of foolishness kids actually do at school on a daily basis.

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    Teachers work hard and a lot of kids, and parents for that matter, are far from angels these days. Some sort of disciplinary control and punishment is what the schools rely on to stay in control and keep some resemblance of order. I'm sure schools get a lot of crap they deal within on a daily basis. But so do many other people and professions, and we manage to stay civil, don't we? Even if the student broke the policy, the school does not have any right not to surrender your property immediately at your request, especially if you made a special trip to pick it up! And to tack on a processing fee!? The only reason it can't go further legally because no police officer would want to get involved over and go against another tax funded institution, and it could turn into a political matter. Hiring a lawyer would cost you ten times more the cost of the phone, and the school knows it. Unless you have a lawyer friend who could draft the letter for you pro bono, keep calling them. Write a strong but polite letter to the principal and the superintendent of schools. Demand a response in writing for document trail. Request that they return your property to you by mail. And ask the kid to be more careful next time. ;)

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    dishonored im inclined to agree with you, and I'd fight it if you have the capability to do so.

Yes, it is illegal for them to hold your property. Call the SO and speak to someone else. A friendly attorney wouldn't charge more than 50-75 bucks just to send a letter threatening suit (if you know one). Get it in triplicate and send to school board and principal.

yeah it costs more than the ten bucks, but its the point of the matter to me. I'd fight it hard.

If you take my kids cell phone- good job, he broke the rules.

When I come to pick it up, its mine and im not bribing you to get it handed over.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

Lurking
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    yeah it costs more than the ten bucks, but its the point of the matter to me. I'd fight it hard.

If you take my kids cell phone- good job, he broke the rules.

When I come to pick it up, its mine and im not bribing you to get it handed over.

While in this case it may be a misunderstanding between the teacher and the student, in most cases you're not bribing the school for your property to be returned. The fee is an incentive for parents to be parents and teach their kid about responsibility.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    While in this case it may be a misunderstanding between the teacher and the student, in most cases you're not bribing the school for your property to be returned. The fee is an incentive for parents to be parents and teach their kid about responsibility.

wrong. having to drive to the school to reclaim my 500.00 smart phone is incentive for me to parent my child.

demanding a fee to hand me my property back is crap, and id be a pain in their ass bigger than an elephant on a poodle

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    A similar situation happened to a family friend, several years ago. His son mistakenly grabbed his work phone and brought it with him to school- and managed to get it taken away by the principal using it in class. Being a contractor, the guy's cell phone was an important tool for his work, and he needed it back ASAP. We can all relate, right?

Of course, he still wanted to let the kid learn his lesson, so he brought the son's phone to school that afternoon to swap it for his. The principal reminded him of the school's zero tolerance policy- and that he couldn't get his phone back until the end of the school year. Not even in a swap for the kid's. He asked the principal if this was a joke. The guy said no, it wasn't.

After a few choice words between the two, he decided to leave before things got out of hand. But before he left, he informed the principal that he would no longer be available to help with the athletic facilities that weekend (or any in the future)- and that the $700 worth of materials he was donating wouldn't be either :). He canceled the phone, and took his son's as his own.

Still had to scramble for his contacts, though. :mad::mad:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    In order to be guilty of larceny or theft, the school must intend to permanently deprive you of your property. If they simply intend to hold your cell phone for a week and then return it to you, they aren't guilty of larceny so the SO isn't going to assist.

I'd rally the troops and head to the school board meeting, after having a very serious talk with the principal (go to their office, don't call)

If you want to be a real jerk (i would...), contact a local attorney and inform them that the issue is that the phone has personal photos, banking information, and other sensitive material that is protected under your child's constitutional privacy rights. It may not necessarily get your phone back, but it'll at minimum get your hands on it long enough to delete/erase/copy anything you want off of it.

Alternatively, depending on model, you can remotely lock it so you know it isn't being used.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom