ATF "gun verification"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    They rolled at least 3 strong (I'd wager someone else was standing somewhere watching from another angle as well) for that "simple check," and had some indication that he was "stopped in Philly" with one of his guns, so they've prepared with a little info, but they're calmly and casually milling around waiting for someone to come to the door with, hopefully, unloaded guns.
    Luckily, he didn't have a dog in the yard.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    A similar situation, but this time a different agency and with a warrant.

2522ed41c71223e836fd1c4cf42569da.jpg

ETA : the video is 7 minutes long, nothing major happens. The only real reason to watch it is to see how you should act when served with a warrant. Everyone acted acceptable. What is unacceptable is the fact that a warrant was ever issued or that they showed up to his home at all.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    “Whole buncha two guns”

What a con job. I’d send them packing.
    I doubt I’d just open the door but if they had caught me outside, I’d smile and be as polite as a Catholic school boy and ask for a warrant. If none is provided I’d tell them their papers aren’t in order and ask them to leave. Then I’d call my local Sheriff and report their visit.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    A similar situation, but this time a different agency and with a warrant.

2522ed41c71223e836fd1c4cf42569da.jpg

ETA : the video is 7 minutes long, nothing major happens. The only real reason to watch it is to see how you should act when served with a warrant. Everyone acted acceptable. What is unacceptable is the fact that a warrant was ever issued or that they showed up to his home at all.

Anyone watching this video should get a feeling about how things will go if they ever mandate a registry. Things like this are why I cringe every time I hear someone slip and say things like, ‘the gun is registered to me’ or any other voiced misconception about guns being registered. The last thing a gun owner wants is to have their guns registered with the federal government.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    “Whole buncha two guns”

I doubt I’d just open the door but if they had caught me outside, I’d smile and be as polite as a Catholic school boy and ask for a warrant. If none is provided I’d tell them their papers aren’t in order and ask them to leave. Then I’d call my local Sheriff and report their visit.
    An excellent post that echos your own, in more detail.

A preview :
    da2b6bcb4c59e253fc97b451bcfc1fc5.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Anyone watching this video should get a feeling about how things will go if they ever mandate a registry. Things like this are why I cringe every time I hear someone slip and say things like, ‘the gun is registered to me’ or any other voiced misconception about guns being registered. The last thing a gun owner wants is to have their guns registered with the federal government.
    An excellent post that echos your own, in more detail.

A preview :
    da2b6bcb4c59e253fc97b451bcfc1fc5.jpg

I agree. It’s a crying shame that we should have to spell it out for folks in this day and age. It’s worse when I hear people use ‘just comply’ in any sentence because then I get an overwhelming urge to start forcing my boot into some asscheeks and next thing you know I’m labeled a violent person. I’m quickly losing the ability to remain civil when it comes to defending our rights. I just don’t feel like being nice at that point.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Actually long guns larger than a .22 are reported in several states.
    You may be correct. I work in this state. Louisiana.

Edit: In 2011, ATF was authorized to enforce multiple firearms sales for certain types of rifles from FFLs in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.

FFLs in these states must report the following types of rifles:

Semiautomatic rifles
    Rifles with a caliber greater than .22 (including .223 or 5.56 mm)
    Rifles with the ability to accept detachable magazines

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    “Whole buncha two guns”

I agree, not a chance in hell I’d let them in. Quite frankly it’s none of their business and I’m not going to contribute to making their illegal registry more accurate. I’m not letting anyone in my house or giving them my time if I don’t invite them over. If they showed up with a warrant that’s one thing but showing up just to verify? No thanks. Go after actual criminals and leave me alone. I bet they don’t frequent the areas of poverty like this. I would be polite and cordial but I’m not wasting my time for you to verify what guns are in my safe when it’s none of your damn business anyway.

This seems like a good way for a law abiding citizen to get caught up in a mess because of their false perception. What if the guy had one of the guns and shot it the same day he bought it. Turns out he doesn’t like it at all and wants to sell it. Sells the gun a week later and then they show up asking questions. He still did nothing wrong but I’d be willing to bet they would harass him for it. I know several people who have purchased firearms on impulse and sold them shortly after because they realized they didn’t make a thought out decision.

UncleBiff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Chalmette
    An FFL had to fill out the multiple gun purchase form for me. I did not get a visit. If they visited, I would send them away. Unlucky me though, I do have NFA items. I should be able to buy 100 guns in a day if I want. Just remember when you have difficulty with guns, don't blame UPS, your FFL, or the manufacturer. Blame the federal government.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    An FFL had to fill out the multiple gun purchase form for me. I did not get a visit. If they visited, I would send them away. Unlucky me though, I do have NFA items. I should be able to buy 100 guns in a day if I want. Just remember when you have difficulty with guns, don't blame UPS, your FFL, or the manufacturer. Blame the federal government.
    I've filled out several Multiple Purchase Forms on myself. Am I known to the seller ? Uh, . . . , Yea, I am the seller. Have I ever had another multiple purchase ? Well yea, . . . , several.

Had a trace on myself for an AR I sold here on Bayou Shooter. Filled out my own trace and let them know it was me, and that I had sold that rifle.

Never had an ATF agent knock on my door, much less shoot my cat. (don't have a dog).

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    So the guys buying cheap & stacking deep ar lowers can expect that knock on the door. The striped lower could be looked at as a pistol if they want it to.
    I think this is a set up just waiting for some to act in the wrong way, then shifts gonna happen and video put on the msm news. “See, We need More gun regulations.”
    I would have to ask if they showed up a eric holder’s house yet.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    So the guys buying cheap & stacking deep ar lowers can expect that knock on the door. The striped lower could be looked at as a pistol if they want it to.
    I think this is a set up just waiting for some to act in the wrong way, then shifts gonna happen and video put on the msm news. “See, We need More gun regulations.”
    I would have to ask if they showed up a eric holder’s house yet.
    Wow.

Once again. Stripped lowers are NOT reported on a multiple purchase form.

More like: If you buy Several Glocks within a one week period, from a store that regularly gets traces from guns recovered in NYC crime sprees, you might get a visit.

Sapper

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I find it interesting that so many on this site are moderate about the government showing up asking questions.

What do you think would have happened had the guy in the video sold a firearms already (legal activity)?

How does anyone think this makes the community safer (clearly this guys area isn’t a high crime area)?

Somehow we went over 100 years without the AFT or the FBI or the NFA, now they trample the 2, 4, 5, and 8th amendments regularly.

No one needs to be idiotic about these interactions and I think complying is in your best interests, especially if you are a working stiff who can’t afford a legal battle. But under no circumstances should anyone condone this or be anything less than outraged about the misuse of government resources and the implications for regular people.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Sorry DBMJR1 I didn’t know that. As much as I go to Gun sites Idk. But the way thing keep changing I sure they will look into it soon.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I find it interesting that so many on this site are moderate about the government showing up asking questions.

What do you think would have happened had the guy in the video sold a firearms already (legal activity)?

How does anyone think this makes the community safer (clearly this guys area isn’t a high crime area)?

Somehow we went over 100 years without the AFT or the FBI or the NFA, now they trample the 2, 4, 5, and 8th amendments regularly.

No one needs to be idiotic about these interactions and I think complying is in your best interests, especially if you are a working stiff who can’t afford a legal battle. But under no circumstances should anyone condone this or be anything less than outraged about the misuse of government resources and the implications for regular people.
    A1 post right there

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

I think had the individual already disposed of the firearms, the ATF would be very attentive to any traces with those serial numbers. Then they would begin investigating the individual to establish a pattern.
    Perhaps in the end they would catch a criminal.
    Do you defend criminal activity ?

Look. I'm not pro big brother. I'm about as adamant about all of our freedoms as any, and more so than most.

But these agents are doing their job. They violated nobody's right. They demanded nothing. They have every right to knock on a door and ask questions. Don't need a warrant for that, and if you refuse to cooperate, that's how you live life.

Would I cooperate ? Sure.

Most of these enforcement agents are former SF. About half are Ivy League. I'm not going to outsmart them. I'm kinda a dim bulb.

They are good guys, the ones I know. I've met them at classes. They've visited the store several times. I keep their cards pinned to the wall.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I think had the individual already disposed of the firearms, the ATF would be very attentive to any traces with those serial numbers. Then they would begin investigating the individual to establish a pattern.

Look. I'm not pro big brother. I'm about as adamant about all of our freedoms as any, and more so than most.

But these agents are doing their job. They violated nobody's right. They demanded nothing. They have every right to knock on a door and ask questions. Don't need a warrant for that, and if you refuse to cooperate, that's how you live life.

Most of these enforcement agents are former SF. About half are Ivy League. I'm not going to outsmart them. I'm kinda a dim bulb.

They are good guys, the ones I know. I've met them at classes. They've visited the store several times. I keep their cards pinned to the wall.
    No one is questioning whether or not the agents are good or bad. It is the fragrant violation of possibly multiple rights provided by the constitution that is in question.

As far as I can tell in the video, the demanded to see the firearms in question. Whether it was done nicely, or not is neither here nor there. Federal agents asking someone to present something is a demand in my opinion, no matter which way you cut it.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Noted

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    No one is questioning whether or not the agents are good or bad. It is the fragrant violation of possibly multiple rights provided by the constitution that is in question.

As far as I can tell in the video, the demanded to see the firearms in question. Whether it was done nicely, or not is neither here nor there. Federal agents asking someone to present something is a demand in my opinion, no matter which way you cut it.
    I don’t need to question. They are ATF. If they were communist I would feel the same. If they were IRS, I’d feel the same. My feelings are that none of these has ever been a friend to me. They work for and represent an agency that has done unspeakable things in my time and continues to erode our rights. Folks can be as buddy buddy with any of them as they wish. I truly don’t know what good they believe will come of it, but I will keep my distance, for at the end of the day, they are the ATF. Right about now I’d reference the story of the old woman and the snake. It’s rather fitting.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    There wont be any friends in the ATF if there was a confiscation, be friendly but understand your place, which is under their fn boot

Top Bottom