ATI GSG / Sig 1911-22, Sparrow, and other 22LRs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My uncle has had an ATI GSG 1911-22 for a while and I always enjoyed shooting it. I found a great deal from PSA on an FDE Sig 1911-22 during the panic and jumped on it- it's essentially the same gun with a paint job and Sig logo on the side.

Joe Bob's has some cool accessories for these pistols: http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/GSG_SIG_1911_Upgrades_s/27454.htm
    I especially like the +4 hi-cap follower.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and our Sparrow finally arrived. Talk about a sweet setup! First shot gives a little bump and then seems about as loud as a Daisy BB gun.

Now I've got the fever and am looking for a long-gun host. Instantly, the 10/22 Takedown Threaded came to mind. Gunbroker has them in stainless for $420 out the door. A little steep for a 10/22, but I think you're getting some pretty legit upgrades, as well. It does kind of bug me the amount of plastic that Ruger is using on the Takedowns, though (triggerguard, barrel clamp-ring-thingy...).

THEN I came across this little gem: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=641418

Wondering if anyone around here may be able to swing something like that...? I think that I could handle the stock, but the barrel milling/turning is way beyond me.

Anyone else have experience with any of these firearms or combinations?

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I have a 10/22 I really enjoy, just need it threaded so I'll keep an eye on where this thread goes. However, if I was buying a .22 rifle specifically for a suppressor host, it would be a Savage bolt action. No action noise = crazy quiet, and can get factory threaded bull barrels.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I've got a savage bolt with a sparrow and it's a blast. Sounds like dry firing. Prepare to always be looking for subsonic rimfire!

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I have a 10/22 I really enjoy, just need it threaded so I'll keep an eye on where this thread goes. However, if I was buying a .22 rifle specifically for a suppressor host, it would be a Savage bolt action. No action noise = crazy quiet, and can get factory threaded bull barrels.

The JG 10/22 bolt lock can lock the bolt and eliminate action noise.

I have installed mine, I just need to go try it out.

JR1572

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for the tips! I've got an older 10/22 at the house that I've cherished for some time. The idea of the takedown just adds a lot of "cool" factor.

If I can have the best of both worlds- a semi auto with optional locking bolt, I really can't see any reason to go with the bolt action.

That said, I did read a particular review that indicated a drop in accuracy (not precision) when switching between locked bolt and semi-auto (http://www.silencerresearch.com/jg_bolt_lock.htm). JR1572, this may be BS, and I'd love to hear another range report once you have the chance to shoot yours.

I've made contact with a member here who said he would be interested in fixing up something like the "calguns" rifle that was linked in the OP. I really like the bull barrel, but don't know if I need it. Plus, for some reason, I'd like to maintain the option of shooting with irons, also. How crazy would it be to have iron sights on a threaded bull barrel? Maybe that's wanting your cake and eating it, too. This will be my first dive into a custom rimfire rifle and I feel like I should go big or go home.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    If I can have the best of both worlds- a semi auto with optional locking bolt, I really can't see any reason to go with the bolt action.

That said, I did read a particular review that indicated a drop in accuracy (not precision) when switching between locked bolt and semi-auto (http://www.silencerresearch.com/jg_bolt_lock.htm). JR1572, this may be BS, and I'd love to hear another range report once you have the chance to shoot yours.

I've made contact with a member here who said he would be interested in fixing up something like the "calguns" rifle that was linked in the OP. I really like the bull barrel, but don't know if I need it. Plus, for some reason, I'd like to maintain the option of shooting with irons, also. How crazy would it be to have iron sights on a threaded bull barrel? Maybe that's wanting your cake and eating it, too. This will be my first dive into a custom rimfire rifle and I feel like I should go big or go home.

I will definitely let you know if the accuracy decreases, however, I don't plan on using this 10/22 for shooting any great distance. If it shoots minute of pest at 25 yards I'll be happy.

I'm using a standard barrel that was cut and threaded. I would prefer to get a used high quality RDS or a used low end Leupold 1.25-4 variable, but that's not priority number 1 right now.

JR1572

Top Bottom