AXIL hearing protection

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Anybody use AXIL GS Extreme hearing protection? Been looking at them and doing research. I had decided against them, but in the May issue of Shooting Illustrated, the NRA the AXIL Ghost Stryke Extreme rated as their "Accessory of the Year". Now I'm not so sure. Hate spending $200 on muffs. The only difference between the two models is the ear bud.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I have the Sig model made by Axil, and they work ok, not really what I was expecting from an earbud. For shooting you have to use the foam inserts.

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Not familiar with those. I have been using the Otto Noizebarrier Micro in-the-ear. They come in a small pocket size box, looks like a mini Pelican case. You store them in the box, and they get recharged while they are inserted in the box. They stay charged for 6 to 8 hours, recharge in about 4 hours, and the charging case provides about 20 charges, then you plug it into a USB port to recharge it. They have a normal setting, which allows you to hear normal sounds and a enhanced setting which allows you to hear very faint sounds, like distant elk bugles, etc Small, compact in the ear, and provide 28 db noise protection with the foam ear piece and 23 db with the silicone ear piece. They don't interfere with your rifle/shotgun stock when firing, and provide all day comfort. They offer first responder and military discounts.

Last edited:

Coghead23

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2019
    Lafayette, LA
    Anybody use AXIL GS Extreme hearing protection? Been looking at them and doing research. I had decided against them, but in the May issue of Shooting Illustrated, the NRA the AXIL Ghost Stryke Extreme rated as their "Accessory of the Year". Now I'm not so sure. Hate spending $200 on muffs. The only difference between the two models is the ear bud.
    I bought two pairs. Not recommended for indoor range. I have only used one set. Still have one new in box. I prefer my walkers, just hate the pressure it builds up on my ears after a while

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    They are decent, but catch one of their many sales and get them half off or BOGO with a buddy. I have the older version buds, sound quality is OK on the ambient, but directionality is good and bluetooth works well. My Howard Leight muffs are better but I like the low profile buds for rifle work.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I bought two pairs. Not recommended for indoor range. I have only used one set. Still have one new in box. I prefer my walkers, just hate the pressure it builds up on my ears after a while
    Curious as to why you dont care for them? I’ve been looking at getting some like that. You try them for outdoors shooting?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I have been using the ISO Tunes Caliber BT buds for a year or so. I just ordered another set to use at work. 12-13 hours per charge. The case holds another two charges in its battery. They come with different size and material inserts. Same price range as the Axils.

MichaelPopulus

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2023
    Madisonville, LA
    My personal experience.

I bought the axil over ears first and did a 2 day pistol class and they about killed my ears. Decided to buy the gs extreme and then used those at another class about a month later ( just a 1 day class ) and I found them annoying. It could just be user error but putting them on took me some time and I was afraid to take them out because getting them back in felt time consuming and I didnt want to hold up instruction while im getting ears in. Only 1 set of the tips even worked in my ears and after a couple hours those hurt my ears as well. Audio was decent, some wind noise, but for 125 ( what I paid ) I wasnt impressed. The music portion is way better than the over ears that axil makes, but I think my biggest issue was the cord. I think their high end line where its just like an airpod would have been better but were talking big money at that point. Ended up returning both versions after using them ( bought on amazon ) and bought a pair of the gloryfire ones which were cheaper with no cords. Havent used those in a class setting yet, but I prefer them over the axils.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    @southerncanuck has a brand he sells of in ear buds that mold into the shape of your ear. I do remember them being not so expensive. I know he has tried different ear pro set ups and could give you some helpful info.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Thanks for tagging me in @WhereIsIt?

Ear pro is kinda my kink, so I can weigh in on this a bit. When it comes to ear protection, and particularly in-ears, you really truly get what you pay for. There are some places you can buy a cheaper product and get "good enough" performance but in-ear shooting protection isn't one of those places.

The Axil's are a bit like the Walkers... they've basically stuffed mediocre electronics inside a foam earplug. The performance will sufficient if they're installed right, but two caveats. (1) To get the NRR performance they list on their site, you need it installed perfectly, and (2) They can get seriously uncomfortable after extended periods of use.

There's another turd of a product out there you've probably seen by Decibullz, and they use a heat-moldable plastic much like a hockey mouthguard: boil and stuff. Same situation here though in that they're ultimately still just foam ear tips, but with the addition of a might-fit rubber fill for the ear conch. More marketing than science on these ones.

The Otto Noizebarriers like @La26 has are excellent, and use rubber instead of foam. Still not custom, but a hell of a lot better and these are the industry standard for ready-fit electronic plugs.

If you want a true custom fit electronic, you just can't get anything for under about $900 (Soundgear Silvers). They're FSA/HSA eligible, but that's still a hell of a spend.

What I'd recommend if you're watching your pocketbook are non-electronic custom-fit plugs. I have a couple versions of these -- one requires professional ear molds made by an audiologist, the other has a mold-at-home kit -- and they come in about $200. With these you get an acoustic impulse filter rather than an electronic one. They'll ride in your ears at about 13NRR so you can have a normal conversation, but the filter responds to the percussion of gunfire (or similar sounds) and increases the NRR in response. Normal 9mm handgun fire ends up being about 27 NRR, which would be the same performance as a really good set of muffs. I've been wearing a set of the mold-at-home ones since June (I'm actually wearing them as I type this to block out the sound of my in-laws) and they are honestly game-changing. I've worn my Comtacs literally once since getting them.

If you're not ready to spend at least $200 on in-ears I'd recommend just staying with over-the-ear muffs. You can get a heck of a lot more bang for buck in that department, with really good quality muffs starting around $125 and usable entry-tier stuff around $50.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I’ve been using the Decibulz exclusively over the past 6 months (3x a week) and they do fine. No background noise of people talking etc. You can pop out the center piece and carry on a conversation np.

Coghead23

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2019
    Lafayette, LA
    Curious as to why you dont care for them? I’ve been looking at getting some like that. You try them for outdoors shooting?
    I like them when i need a break from my over-ear protection, but i just dont recommend them for indoor shooting ranges. Also, they are a little weaker to larger bored rifles compared to 223

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    Thanks for tagging me in @WhereIsIt?

Ear pro is kinda my kink, so I can weigh in on this a bit. When it comes to ear protection, and particularly in-ears, you really truly get what you pay for. There are some places you can buy a cheaper product and get "good enough" performance but in-ear shooting protection isn't one of those places.

The Axil's are a bit like the Walkers... they've basically stuffed mediocre electronics inside a foam earplug. The performance will sufficient if they're installed right, but two caveats. (1) To get the NRR performance they list on their site, you need it installed perfectly, and (2) They can get seriously uncomfortable after extended periods of use.

There's another turd of a product out there you've probably seen by Decibullz, and they use a heat-moldable plastic much like a hockey mouthguard: boil and stuff. Same situation here though in that they're ultimately still just foam ear tips, but with the addition of a might-fit rubber fill for the ear conch. More marketing than science on these ones.

The Otto Noizebarriers like @La26 has are excellent, and use rubber instead of foam. Still not custom, but a hell of a lot better and these are the industry standard for ready-fit electronic plugs.

If you want a true custom fit electronic, you just can't get anything for under about $900 (Soundgear Silvers). They're FSA/HSA eligible, but that's still a hell of a spend.

What I'd recommend if you're watching your pocketbook are non-electronic custom-fit plugs. I have a couple versions of these -- one requires professional ear molds made by an audiologist, the other has a mold-at-home kit -- and they come in about $200. With these you get an acoustic impulse filter rather than an electronic one. They'll ride in your ears at about 13NRR so you can have a normal conversation, but the filter responds to the percussion of gunfire (or similar sounds) and increases the NRR in response. Normal 9mm handgun fire ends up being about 27 NRR, which would be the same performance as a really good set of muffs. I've been wearing a set of the mold-at-home ones since June (I'm actually wearing them as I type this to block out the sound of my in-laws) and they are honestly game-changing. I've worn my Comtacs literally once since getting them.

If you're not ready to spend at least $200 on in-ears I'd recommend just staying with over-the-ear muffs. You can get a heck of a lot more bang for buck in that department, with really good quality muffs starting around $125 and usable entry-tier stuff around $50.
    Been struggling w/ researching & selecting an upgrade from plugs and muffs for a while now. Your post is the only objective, rational evaluation I've come upon. Many, many thanks!

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Been struggling w/ researching & selecting an upgrade from plugs and muffs for a while now. Your post is the only objective, rational evaluation I've come upon. Many, many thanks!
    T-Rigger, your reply is spot-on. Otto Noizebarriers do come with both the silicone (rubber) ear plugs and the foam ones. I use the foam because they offer 28 NRR and the silicone ones offer 23 NRR. I found the foam are more comfortable for all day use, plus they offer better protection from the muzzle blast.

Last edited:

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    I have several pair of Walker's Razor Quad ear muffs that I also wear. They don't interfere with the cheek weld when shooting a shoulder weapon. Being quad, they offer directional hearing (left, right, in front, and behind you). They are over the ear muffs, so not as comfortable as the Otto Noizebarriers. I keep them handy when I have a short time to be on the firing line.

Top Bottom