Back on the AT Oct 22 Fall colors to the max. Pics included.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My wife and I notched another section of the AT this past October. We went from Dicks Creek gap in Northern Georgia to NOC in North Carolina. We covered 70 plus miles and averaged 12 miles a day. Our base pack weight was 18 lbs and when we added food and water we were at 22-23lbs. We made a lot of first on this trip. We crossed the state line into North Carolina, we passed the 100 mile mark and we made our first resupply ( leaving the trail for a short while to get more food). As usual it took about 3 days to get our trail legs and then the last three days we got into a nice rhythm of early wake times and longer hiking days. As much as I like to think I’m in decent shape the mountains showed no mercy. We had no major injuries but the first three days we were very sore and beat. In Louisiana there is hardly any terrain that you can practice on before hitting the trail so you do what you can and then just go for it. The weather for the most part was beautiful, but the last two nights got cold. We were prepared, but it’s still hard for us to sleep in near freezing temps. Our gear held up well and our food selection was pretty much spot on. If you ever go remember you are burning 3-4000 calories a day so you gotta eat. Water was no problem as we found our water supply spots, but it had been very dry the last few months so some of them were bone dry. Our resupply town was Franklin NC. Nice town that had an awesome breakfast place and a good grocery store for our resupply. We also hit two breweries that were there and had a nice local beer. The only mistake we made was getting dropped off by our shuttle at the low end of town. This was where the breakfast place was, but after we ate we had to walk up a big hill to the other places we wanted to visit. We met more great people and spent our days hiking with them and sitting around the fire at night. We met 2 people who were finishing up the triple crown of hiking. These trails make up over 6000 miles in length so anyone who can do this is a Superman in my book snd gets mad respect. Also met a nice guy from Germany who was here on a internship and was spending his last two weeks in the US hiking the AT. We hope to be back in the spring to knock out another 70-100 miles. This should get us near the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Happy holidays my friends, and I hope everyone gets to spend time with their loved ones at Christmas.

d56862548dd22972ccc2e3e56a6de5de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Love the pictures and am majorly jealous of your trip! Your base weight is hella light. What gear are you using for the major items?

I just completed 85 miles of the Ozark Highland Trail last month - averaging 15 miles a day. There had been a major drought for awhile, so we packed 3-4L of water into the trail and basically refilled all of them every time we came across ground water. It was fairly stressful on day #1 when we had no clue if we'd actually run out of water and not come across any.

My feet were obliterated from the 14,000 feet of elevation change...well..the downhill part of it!

Regarding sleeping at night, you should look into the updated pads with R-values >5. A modern pad coupled with a nice sleeping pad (or quilt) and you'll be good with anything over 0 degrees.

I'm using a Thermarest Neoair pad and an Enlightened Equipment Quilt. The quilt is rated for 20 degrees, but if it gets under 25 I'll bring a pad liner to add a bit more warmth.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You have some nice gear. I’m familiar with the brands and styles you mention. Our packs are ohm 2.0 by ULA. My sleeping bag and pad are big Agnes. My wife has the enlightened equipment quilt with a
    Sea to summit ether light XT Pad. My bag is a 30 degree which I need to drop down to a 10-15 degree. My r value on my pad is not 5 but it’s not far below that. Our tent is a 6 moon design lunar duo 2 person UL. As far as my feet go I’ve been using the Hoka Toa and they have been awesome. I’m using one size bigger as I wear a liner sock and a sock on top of that. We hope to build up to 15 miles a day but we really like our pace of 12 miles but dang we want to cover more miles ! The downhills can be rough on your body and especially my knees. We are headed back in the spring to pick up where we left off.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You have some nice gear. I’m familiar with the brands and styles you mention. Our packs are ohm 2.0 by ULA. My sleeping bag and pad are big Agnes. My wife has the enlightened equipment quilt with a
    Sea to summit ether light XT Pad. My bag is a 30 degree which I need to drop down to a 10-15 degree. My r value on my pad is not 5 but it’s not far below that. Our tent is a 6 moon design lunar duo 2 person UL. As far as my feet go I’ve been using the Hoka Toa and they have been awesome. I’m using one size bigger as I wear a liner sock and a sock on top of that. We hope to build up to 15 miles a day but we really like our pace of 12 miles but dang we want to cover more miles ! The downhills can be rough on your body and especially my knees. We are headed back in the spring to pick up where we left off.
    You should seriously consider trying out this pad:

The increased R-Value really makes a difference.

I have a 15-degree Big Agnes bag that I really like, but it's a solid pound heavier than my Enlightened Equipment quilt (20 degrees). For half the weight, I can add a bag liner which adds 10-15 degrees to the 20 degree quilt.

But if it's going to be sub-30 outside, I'm without a doubt sleeping with an insulated down jacket on and then I can usually get away with my upper body mostly out of the quilt all night.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom