Bad Mardi Gras, Encounter with LEO, New Vehicle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psychic Bacon

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 17, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I've been stressing over this since it happened, that's why I waited till now to post about it.

So Lundi Gras night new board member Wes calls me and says he is drunk, locked out of where his keys are, and needs a place to crash. Being the good friend I am, I go pick him up and let him pass out on my couch. Next morning I bring him back to his car and head home.

On the way home on I-10, I'm in the middle lane doing about 65-70 when the lady in the right lane decides she has to be in my lane. So she comes over, smashing the front right side of my car.

02-07-08_1238.jpg

Picture taken at home. Doesn't show the full extent...

This happens right at the Esplanade Ave. exit, and there are a couple National Guard soldiers blocking the exit for the parades. One of them comes over to check on me as I'm getting out of the car. I inform him of the state law and tell him I'm a CHP holder, but that my weapon is in my car. He says thanks, then blocks traffic for me to move my car over to the shoulder.

A few minutes later NOPD arrives to write the report. It turns out the responding officer is a good friend's dad. He has us go to the next exit and get off the interstate. When we get down, I again play by law and tell him I have my CHP, the weapon is in the car. He tells me that's cool. Leave it there for now.

After a while the tow truck gets there, and I get the gun out. Ask Officer if he wants to hold on to it or me to keep it. He tell me to put it in his trunk, which I do. As he is writing the report, he calls me over to see if I have a current insurance card, the one i had in my wallet was expired.

I've made the mistake of not putting the new card in my wallet before, so I didn't think anything of it, just told him I didn't have it with me. He asked if I still had the same company, I said yes, and he finished the report.

After all the 'pleasantries' were completed, he got out of the car and we shot the crap for a bit while the tow truck was finishing. Got my piece out of his trunk, (had the 1911 with me) and let him see it. He complimented me on it, and complained about only being able to carry a .40 (G22) on the job.

I talked to my friend a few days later and he told that I made his dad feel inadequate. Heh.

When I got home, I called my insurance company to report the accident and request new cards. They told me my policy had been canceled the week before, and that I was basically screwed for the accident. They gave me no notice that my policy was being canceled. Then they told me that they would be more than happy to renew my policy at the previous premium as they weren't going to have to pay for the accident. Bastards.

So without going into too much more detail, the cost of repairing my car out of pocket has been getting worse and worse, and I'm too stubborn to just get a new car, (I like mine a whole f'n lot) I bought this today to have a second vehicle while my car was in and out of shops and in case it became completely un-drivable.

02-23-08_1241.jpg

2006 Harley Davidson XL 883C Sportster 883 Custom

Now in addition to getting my car fixed I need to buy a holster with retention for the 1911.

Ike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    Covington
    Nice bike. Sorry about the wreck. You only need to notify them if the weapon is concealed on your person. There is no need for a permit if it is in your car.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Nice bike. Sorry about the wreck. You only need to notify them if the weapon is concealed on your person. There is no need for a permit if it is in your car.

It is a good idea to notify a LEO you have a weapon if he/she is operating in official capacity. Plus when they run you your CCL shows up on his computer. BTW Sorry about the wreck. The lady's insurance should fix your car.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    It is a good idea to notify a LEO you have a weapon if he/she is operating in official capacity. Plus when they run you your CCL shows up on his computer. BTW Sorry about the wreck. The lady's insurance should fix your car.

Ur the first I've heard say that. Its always said that CHP does not show up on DL ck.
    Where'd you get that info, just wonderin here..

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Ur the first I've heard say that. Its always said that CHP does not show up on DL ck.
    Where'd you get that info, just wonderin here..

I had a deputy as a patient and he had his computer with him. Just for the hell of it I had him run me. When I came up he said you have a CCL? I said yes how did you know. He stated it was on his computer. He said the state does it so LEO's know that you may be armed when pulled over. He also stated, which we were told in CCL class, that you must let a LEO in official capacity know you are armed. The officer said I can't tell you how many women with CCL's I pull over and they forget to tell me.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    you cant afford to fix your old Lumina so you bought an almost brand new harley? That just dont add up! Sucks your insurance got cancelled, your lucky you knew the cop and he didnt store it.

Psychic Bacon

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 17, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    you cant afford to fix your old Lumina so you bought an almost brand new harley? That just dont add up!

I have reasoning on this. I'm looking at about $9,000 worth of repairs, (body work, new parts, paint, engine work...) the bike cost $7,000. Now I have a reliable means of transportation, I don't have to drop 9Gs all at once. Plus I'm building up my credit by financing the bike. And I've been wanting to get a bike for a while anyway.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Her insurance would have paid (I'd still go file a claim against her) except that your insurance cancelled. We have the 'no pay, no play' law. Since you didn't have insurnace, you shouldn't have been on the road, therefore they're not responsible for the first 10K in injuries and damage. They're off the hook...
    However, I'd insist to see a copy of the proof of mailing when they sent out your insurance cancellation notice....

Psychic Bacon

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 17, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    So are you going to come on the next topic and tell me that even though I want a GLOCK, I need to get a 1911 because you say they're more worth it?

I like my Monte Carlo. I do not want a BMW.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom