ballistics, gun barrel manufacturing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbanks2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Looking for information related to ballistics and gun barrel manufacturing. I was told that since 2000 every gun barrel manufactured in US has had ballistics taken on the barrels. Each barrel has 3 test rounds shot through it then sent to various gov agencies and can be used to trace the original purchaser of the barrel/weapon in the event the firearm is used in a crime...

I call BS on this as it sounds like an urban legend... I can't find anything to prove or disprove the statement on the internet... So I'm reaching out to see if anyone can shed light on what was said.

Thanks.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    It's possible that 3 rounds out of every firearm manufactured after that time may have been sent to a government agency.
    The logistics of keeping 3 projectiles cataloged from the millions of firearms that have been manufactured in the past 23 years is a daunting task. There are a bazillion firearms that were manufactured prior to those years.
    I think a self-important individual was spewing bovine fecal matter to make themselves look knowledgeable.

Last edited:

jbanks2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    I agree it would take a ridiculous amount of effort to do something like this... But the gov is not known for intelligence... wink wink... I'm certainly not believing the story either... but as has been said before... Trust but verify... or in this case... Verify period...

With that said I have bought assembled AR uppers that had 3 spent rounds shipped with them. The shipping company said the barrel was test fired and the spent rounds were the ones that were cycled through the barrel.

Sooooo... I had to ask...

Thanks for the feedback...

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    ... 3 spent rounds shipped with them. The shipping company said the barrel was test fired and the spent rounds were the ones that were cycled through the barrel....
    For some period of time, some states and or local governments required that new guns sold in their jurisdictions have SPENT BRASS be submitted for the Gov archives. Not sure how many are still requiring that, but I don't see as many new guns being shipped with spent brass these days.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    For some period of time, some states and or local governments required that new guns sold in their jurisdictions have SPENT BRASS be submitted for the Gov archives. Not sure how many are still requiring that, but I don't see as many new guns being shipped with spent brass these days.
    You are prob thinking of Maryland and their ridiculous handgun casing tracking system. It did absolutely nothing after 15 years and five MILLION dollars. It failed to provide a single hit, not one, on a tracked casing. Now they have 300,000 casings they dont know what to do with.

Thats why for years you would open a Glock box and find a little envelope with a spent casing in it.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    It's possible that 3 rounds out of every firearm manufactured after that time may have been sent to a government agency.
    The logistics of keeping 3 projectiles cataloged from the millions of firearms that have been manufactured in the past 23 years is a daunting task. There are a bazillion firearms that were manufactured prior to those years.
    I think a self-important individual was spewing bovine fecal matter to make themselves look knowledgeable.
    Thats ridiculous even in the abstract. The costs and logistics alone are beyond even fantasy. Not to mention I have stood in FN USA's factory and watched them proof test barrels and then send them for shipment and at no point did anyone collect or segregate spent casings for anything. They was racks of guns that were assembled, a guy pulled one, loaded it into a firing fixture, loaded a proof round, fired it, pulled it out the fixture and put it on the next cart for boxing. Next to him a guy was sighting rifles and watching groups on a tv screen with a scrolling paper target, and he would go thru rifle after rifle. Never collecting cases.

Internet rumors 101.

Top Bottom