Barrel Nut Stuck

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    I'm trying to swap barrerls on an AR10 reciever and the barrel nut is proving to be a bear. I've broken plenty of barrel nuts on plenty of barrels but this one is not breaking free. Anyone have any secret tricks you can share.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Use Kroil.

Make sure if its really stuck you dont use just a Reaction Rod style device, use a rod with a "sail" on top to support the receiver or you can break the index pin with enough torque.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Kroil, then heat it up with a torch or I have even used a paint heater or hair dryer in a pinch…. Doesn’t take much heat to loosen up metal and allow it to expand, which allows kroil to creep

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    We have Kroil and if you give me a little lead time, we can probably have the reaction rod you are looking for. A friend has one and will bring it by the store so we can use it.

Bryan

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    Not ever having had that problem I would probably say apply some Kroil, have used it successfully on other stuck nuts/bolts in the past. As for a heat gun, would that not spread heat so much that it would also heat the more internal, male threaded parts and cause them to expand and also tighten the nut more, don't know. Maybe warming the nut with something like a soldering iron "might" be better, keep the upper receiver part cooler, mabe a wet rag even some ice inside it and warm the nut, still I would use kroil and then degrease it good before applying the armors wrench

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Yea just enough heat, 30sec or so to get the barrel nut up to temp before it transfers to much heat to your upper/barrel, the barrel nut is super thin and won’t require heat for long to get it enough to expand .001” or more which makes all the diff in the world

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Keep in mind my earlier comment about the type of Reaction Rod you use. The standard rods, ie Geissele, is not the best for this condition. They are made for attaching flash hiders. The stuck barrel nut and using a reaction rod alone will transfer the twisting motion to the index pin and upper receiver. You risk damage. Use a rod with a "sail" on the top of it to limit the torque transfer. I have one at my shop if you need to see it.

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    I got a reaction rod but havent had a chance to try it yet. I'm heeding everyone's advice and am proceding slowly. I'll post results here.

Thanks for all the advice.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2022
    US
    Hear and cool...light heat on the nut sometimes helped me break free a tough barrel nut. Good luck that can be nerve wracking

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lej1608
    Top Bottom