Barrel Threading Needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Reulet Gunworks if you can make the trip to Covington. Hes a gunsmith, not a hobbyist in a garage.
    I actually just spoke with Reulet about ten days ago about having a 22lr rifle barrel threaded. I'd inquired about price and timing, here's what he said: "Price is $155+tax including a thread protector. Current turn around time on machine work is about 8-10 weeks."

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I'd love to hear how that conversation went.

I'm going to bet there was more to it, considering hes threaded barrels for me and on his Insta right now he has multiple barrels he threaded and specifically timed so the flash hider needed no shim to clock and had zero seam. Clean as hell.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The ATF is making their rounds among gunsmiths these days. Last time I was at Eduardo's shop he was telling me they came in and checked his books. He said they're making him keep a record of what work he does on every gun. Including the last gun I had him work on; WWII P-38. Maybe that's why he stopped threading.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    The ATF ... making him keep a record of what work he does on every gun...

Hmmmm.... I thought the law only required an ffl to book guns in ONLY if the customer left the gun at the shop then came back at a later time to pick it up. And I know of no legal requirement to record what work was performed.

I can see a smith wanting to keep track of what guns he works on and what he does, and I can see the other side of that coin as well. But ATF requiring this information is not the same thing as a smith wanting to keep his own files.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    The ATF is making their rounds among gunsmiths these days. Last time I was at Eduardo's shop he was telling me they came in and checked his books. He said they're making him keep a record of what work he does on every gun. Including the last gun I had him work on; WWII P-38. Maybe that's why he stopped threading.
    Sounds like he said they are requiring him to keep two books, one for A&D, one for Gunsmithing. Thats in the reg guide. Keeping track of work performed is not. They cant force an arbitrary requirement, unless its in the reg guide. The ATF isnt "making their rounds." They perform inspections of FFL's, and they notify you its coming up. Dont make it sound like something its not. They dont have some mysterious gunsmith task force.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Hmmmm.... I thought the law only required an ffl to book guns in ONLY if the customer left the gun at the shop then came back at a later time to pick it up. And I know of no legal requirement to record what work was performed.

I can see a smith wanting to keep track of what guns he works on and what he does, and I can see the other side of that coin as well. But ATF requiring this information is not the same thing as a smith wanting to keep his own files.
    If the gun is left overnight it goes in the book.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Sounds like he said they are requiring him to keep two books, one for A&D, one for Gunsmithing. Thats in the reg guide. Keeping track of work performed is not. They cant force an arbitrary requirement, unless its in the reg guide. The ATF isnt "making their rounds." They perform inspections of FFL's, and they notify you its coming up. Dont make it sound like something its not. They dont have some mysterious gunsmith task force.
    I didn't say the ATF wasn't calling gunsmiths ahead of time. Also, I fail to see the difference between "making their rounds" and "performing inspections" If they're making rounds, they're performing their inspections. If they're performing inspections, they most certainly are making rounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom