Bear Crossing?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I just finished a Job in Livonia,LA. and there was a bear out there that was huge (300+lbs which is large for a Black Bear). We would see him in the soybean field behind the Colonial pipeline right of way.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    I just finished a Job in Livonia,LA. and there was a bear out there that was huge (300+lbs which is large for a Black Bear). We would see him in the soybean field behind the Colonial pipeline right of way.

When Louisiana "had" a season for Bear hunting, it was restricted to an area near Livonia if I recall. Rumor had that it was specifically for a certain individual in that area with property (and connections). :dunno: The habitat for Black Bear in Louisiana is in a corridor running North/South from Tensas in the North to the Basin in the South.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yeah, they put a few of those signs out on LA 10 between New Roads & the J.J. Audubon Bridge in Pointe Coupee.....There are supposed to be some of them hanging around there, I'm told- but I've never seen any there, myself.

Now, like someone else mentioned- the Livonia / Fordoche area definitely has some. And Concordia Parish has enough of them that we see them on the property from time to time. They seem to enjoy doing some "modifications" to our deer feeders once in a while....:doh:

Jester

I thought it was funny...
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    New Orleans Area
    I know they have bears around - there was one in Madisonville for awhile (may still be).
    I just didn't expect to see a bear crossing sign on I10, let alone that close to Baton Rouge.

Don't they know how bad crime has gotten there?

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Plenty of bear here in Patterson. Ldwf is called out to the back of the subdivision all the time for nuisance bears...They will flat destroy a garbage can in a heartbeat...A couple of monts ago there was one in the driveway and one about 4 houses up the street from my house and they made a hell of a mess on the street,just so happen to be garbage pickup day...lol..

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    There is a black bear reserve somewhere down there south of jeanerette/patterson area.
    Tensas was famous for black bears back in the day and good ole Teddy Roosevelt hunted them there. Red River/Three Rivers have bears. I beleive 2 were shot there a few years back mistaken for hogs. Now they have signs for hunters to identify their target before shooting. I think its a 100k fine.

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    Bayou Teche National Wildlife Refuge is the only dedicated Black Bear refuge in Louisiana. The bears don't seem to pay attention though. They are steadily migrating into Texas. There was a case a while back where one tagged in Florida made it all the way to Louisiana before he was caught and sent back.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    A few years back one got hit by a car on Airline at the EBR/Ascension line, DWF had been tracking it for a week since it left the Krotz Springs area for reasons unknown.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    A few years back one got hit by a car on Airline at the EBR/Ascension line, DWF had been tracking it for a week since it left the Krotz Springs area for reasons unknown.

My trooper friend wrote up he crash and has pics of it. I know where here are a couple in marksville on family land.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom