Been thinking of building myself a 7 yard range in the backyard

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I am legal to shoot where I am, but I have neighbors and want to be considerate (even if some of them are not).

I have been thinking about this for some time.

I could build a trench about 5' deep, build the walls up with the dirt so that I have about 9' of dirt on either side of me and I think it would do a pretty decent job of keeping all the soundwaves upwards and away from the neighbors. The dirt itself would be the backstop. I could rent a bucket from RSC and do it in a day.

The only thing I haven't set right down on is how to keep it from becoming a little rectangular pond. :rofl:

Last edited:

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Dig the trench deeper and put like a 6" layer of sand, then a 3-4" layer of limestone down. Unless you get a torrential rainfall that should keep the ground on the inside from becoming a mud pit.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    On four acres- neigbors on two sides, neigbors across the street on the other two sides. Relatively close. I am in the MPC zone, but outside the city. Basically I try to stay as far out as the coyotes.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Dig it bigger. :D
    If you were benchresting rifles only I'd say get some culverts but that ain't going to work for what your doing. I know a few people that have done shooting tunnels but prices have just about made that impossible nowdays.

Edit: Just saw your last post. sounds kinda close to the neighbors. :(
    Art

Last edited:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    It's not like LRA is not just minutes away, so I'll probably never prioritize doing all this.

I was thinking of shooting suppressed during the day when not many people are home in a ditch so the noise is not coming directly at them. I think under those circumstances no one would even really know what I was doing. I mean, my air compressor would probably be louder when I am working on cars.

Top Bottom