Belly Band And Big Men

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sapperboomboom

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 28, 2017
    Slidell
    Please give me any and all input on belly band holsters. Brands, styles of clothing, ECT. I'm looking for any input before I buy one. They range from $20 to $150. Does price really make a difference? Has anyone tried belly band holsters vs waist band holsters?

Last edited:

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I use a cheap chinesium belly band holster, with a Ruger LCR, when walking in the neighborhood in shorts and t-shirt and have never had an issue. I paid less than $20 on Amazon and I'd be surprised if more money got you anything much better, but I don't know for sure. I've probably had it about 5 years and it sill works fine. The gun is retained using an elastic strap with a metal snap that releases pretty easily, but has never unsnapped accidentally. You will sweat a lot under the belly band, guaranteed.

Sapperboomboom

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 28, 2017
    Slidell
    Thanks for the input. I just picked up a kahr cm9 and was looking for ways to carry in light shorts and a t shirt when it gets hot. I saw one for $25 that looked good but didn't know how it would last. If I get 5 years out of it I would be happy.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I got one off Amazon for about $15 and it sounds like the previous guys with the strap and snap. I am carrying a Sig 365 SAS which I think is perfect for the setup. Needed something for when I wear elastic waistband shorts and pants. I say try an inexpensive one to see if you like it.

Sapperboomboom

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 28, 2017
    Slidell
    I got one off Amazon for about $15 and it sounds like the previous guys with the strap and snap. I am carrying a Sig 365 SAS which I think is perfect for the setup. Needed something for when I wear elastic waistband shorts and pants. I say try an inexpensive one to see if you like it.
    My kahr is smaller than the 365. I'm going to give a cheap one a try. I just didn't know if the more expensive ones were worth it.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Belly band holsters really should be avoided, unless you really really need one for whatever reason. There are a few major issues with them...

1) They're remarkably uncomfortable: it's a 6" strap of neoprene wrapped around you. This week you'll be fine, but you'll regretting your life choices come 90º weather.

2) They're unsafe: most of them are just an elastic pouch you stuff your pistol into, which really doesn't cut it as far as safely protecting your triggerguard goes.

3) They won't conceal anything, unless it's by accident: concealment is about manipulating geometry, and you can't do that well with out a kydex shell with some good hardware working against a rigid belt.

There's a great article about body shape here: https://www.phlsterholsters.com/appendix-carry-for-big-guys-male-abdominal-fat-distribution/

If you really want to get a belly band, just make sure it's got -- or can accommodate -- a kydex shell, to make sure you're safe.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    Do yall like band holsters more than IWB Kydex hosters?
    I prefer kydex aiwb much more, but use the belly band on my daily walk through the neighborhood. Gym shorts won't support a pistol very well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

LouisianaJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Luling, Louisiana
    I have one from ComfortTac. I only use it when I am wearing shorts and a T-shirt. I carry a P365 in it and I have carried a Kahr PM9 with no problem. I am 6' and 300 lbs. I have not worn it for long periods of time so I can not provide info on that.

ssteiner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2022
    I have used a neoprene belly band from amazon and it works ok, not good for training but fine for a small to med gun in certain situations. be sure to consider the retention mechanisms. Some are not very easy access, ie velcro vs snaps vs magnets. do you want more security or easier acccess? also look at the enigma

Top Bottom