Berdan Primer removal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • landmancpl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2019
    Carencro
    I have found several methods online;
    1. The Hydraulic water method,
    2. The Berdan Removal tool $$$.
    3. The Hole punch and pry out method.

THEN .... A method that I developed. The Sheetrock screw method. It works for me and haven't seen it anywhere online.

First, secure the piece of brass (primer up) in a vice or in a properly sized hole (primer up)... drilled in a 4X4 block.
    Then, drill a small pilot hole (smaller than the sheetrock screw) at an angle (appx. 30 deg.) starting at the primer strike point and ending under the rim of the old primer.
    Finally, insert a Sheetrock screw using your cordless drill and let the action of the screw drive UP the old primer (somewhat like a pulley puller) Clean out the pocket residue and you're done.

Alternate method.... Just go straight in with the screw as your make shift bit as it will cut thru the old primer. Faster, but not as accurate.

Good luck and hope this helps someone.
    For me, reloading Berdan primed ammo is purely a last ditch operation BUT in these times .... that Ditch seems to be getting closer ALL THE TIME.
    This is a handy tip to have in your toolbox should the need arise and it would be prudent to get some Berdan primers IF you can find them.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I thought I was the only one keeping spent steel cased ammo. It can be reloaded. A pain but at least you have ammo. I even have stuff to reload the primers. Have not tried that yet.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I thought I was the only one keeping spent steel cased ammo. It can be reloaded. A pain but at least you have ammo. I even have stuff to reload the primers. Have not tried that yet.
    Brass is too plentiful for that kinda stuff…. Two trips to sherburn almost half of a 5 gallon bucket filled.

Top Bottom