Best 1911 Under ~$700?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    A good chance I'm going to come into a 1911 soon, and besides the basic function and history of the gun I don't know specifics. I'm better with plastic guns. But I'm trying to keep it on a budget, and trying to find a good one or one with good potential for upgrade later. Being an XD owner, I'm looking at Springfield 1911 Mil-specs or good priced loadeds. Para-Ordnance is also on the list. Any others I should look at? Taurus PT1911, etc? I just want good quality, reliability, and customer service if I ever need it. From all the forums I've read, SA seems to have the best customer service.

Also, what are the S&W M&P .45ACP pistols like?

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    forgot about the spartan. anyone around here (northshore) that carries them so I can check them out in person?

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    FWIW, I have a para PXT 14-45 double stack 1911, it has been completely reliable and (for me) softer shooting and more accurate than my USP 45. I'm sold on Para, and will probably buy another soon (LDA Gun Rightsmodel)

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    It's a tough choice, I guess it's going to come down to whatever is available when it comes time to buy.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    La. Gun will have a few STI Spartans in sometime this week. I know not a lot of help to you unless you want to drive to BR. They will be ~the $700 mark.
    If you are coming this way there # is 225-291-2942.

Beauxdog

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    339   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    La. Gun will have a few STI Spartans in sometime this week. I know not a lot of help to you unless you want to drive to BR. They will be ~the $700 mark.
    If you are coming this way there # is 225-291-2942.

Beauxdog

How is the Trojan different from the Spartan?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    339   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Spartan is an ARMSCOR receiver/slide/bbl with STI doing final assembly and QC.

Trojan is 100% STI made/built.

$350-$400 difference.

Spartan is a solid 1911. Trojan is a GREAT 1911, and IMO the point of diminishing returns for the average 1911 user.

IMO, save a few more pennies and get a Trojan - cry once. That said the Spartan is a good, solid gun.

Thanks.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Part of the low cost on the Spartan is the no frills and no option. They only come from the factory one way and STI will not make any changes and the finish is not as nice as what come on the Trojan. The Trojan on the other hand Can be ordered in many different ways. That and getting the frames from Armscor holds down the cost. Scooter has been impressed with his Spartan and I've seen him shoot it really well. I know of another person that bought a Trojan recently and will swear by it and no he doesn't shoot action pistol.

To sum it up they are both good pistols, but you pay $ to have it your way.

Beauxdog :)

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    After a few hours of research, I want the Spartan. If I can't get the Spartan I'll settle for a Springfield, but I like what I hear about them.

Trojan is too far above the budget right now. I'll look at getting one later.

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Here's a pic of my Spartan. I made a few changes that I wanted but didn't really need. The most noticeable change is the cobalt plating by Plate-Tacular.
    olwd6omrf2sjrsnlnz1.jpg

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Dawson adj rear and Brazos front FO
    STI gunsmith blank trigger, cut short and flat, cause that's what I like.
    Brazos "trigger in a bag" hammer, sear, strut, and springs.
    Fusion mainspring housing and magwell.
    Ergo grips and a piece of grip tape on the front strap.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I have a trojan and it's really worth the extra coin IMO, but either way you go spartan or springfield they're all very fine guns and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase any of them if I didn't already have a trojan.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I picked up a Springfield Loaded Champion off here for under 700 bucks, and it's been 100% since i've gotten it. I love it, just so darn expensive to feed...

Top Bottom