Best Optic for a AR15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • juicemann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2023
    New Orleans
    What do you guys think is a good optic for an AR15? I already have a long range rifle so I do not need a long range scope IMO on my AR15. I am open to most suggestions. I want great quality but it does not need to cost more than the rifle. I would prefer the optic to be made in America but I am open to other non communist countries.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Two questions to get the creative juices flowing...

1. Do you want magnification (i.e., LPVO) or would a red dot suffice?

2. What's your target price range, in actual dollars?

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    If you can live with FDE, the optics planet "opmod" Steiner P4Xi with P3TR reticle is $499 right now, which is bananas: https://www.opticsplanet.com/opmod-steiner-p4xi-1-4x24mm-tactical-illuminated-riflescopes.html

Normally the P4Xi is about $800, and it's one of the best LPVO's you could lay your hands on even for that price. Daylight bright and crystal clear glass. Made in Germany. It absolutely and unquestionably f*cks.

Stepping down from that a bit you'd probably be hovering around $350 with something like a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6. There are some pretty damned good budget LPVO's out there from Primary Arms and Swampfox that could be worth a look. Often, these more wallet-friendly ones ship with scope rings as well, which is nice.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I have a couple of new ACOG's I am about to post for sale. They have magnification and dont need batteries. They might interest you. One is 3.5 power and the other is 1.5x. Glass is awesome.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I have a couple of new ACOG's I am about to post for sale. They have magnification and dont need batteries. They might interest you. One is 3.5 power and the other is 1.5x. Glass is awesome.

If they are in the $500 range I’ll take them!

juicemann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2023
    New Orleans
    If you can live with FDE, the optics planet "opmod" Steiner P4Xi with P3TR reticle is $499 right now, which is bananas: https://www.opticsplanet.com/opmod-steiner-p4xi-1-4x24mm-tactical-illuminated-riflescopes.html

Normally the P4Xi is about $800, and it's one of the best LPVO's you could lay your hands on even for that price. Daylight bright and crystal clear glass. Made in Germany. It absolutely and unquestionably f*cks.

Stepping down from that a bit you'd probably be hovering around $350 with something like a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6. There are some pretty damned good budget LPVO's out there from Primary Arms and Swampfox that could be worth a look. Often, these more wallet-friendly ones ship with scope rings as well, which is nice.
    I have always wanted to own Steiner stuff but it usually costs more than my car lol. I do not think I can get past the FDE . I am OCD about stuff looking good together my Daniel Defense is matte black. I will check out everything else thanks!

juicemann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2023
    New Orleans

What kind of pricing on them ?

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I forgot to answer your question. I still rather my LPVO (1-8x primary arms SFP) for what we do which is target shoot and hunt. I've held/looked through an eotech with a magnafier and it's bulky with less magnification. Weight nor bulk isnt a big concern to me. Durability doesnt matter to me. I have no idea how good the glass is on mine but it sure is clearer than the walmart scope we run on an old marlin 22lr. That cloudy bent pos works like a champ.

With that said, im sure there are MANY people here can out shoot me with a simple red dot compared to me with my LPVO. I dont have the skill to consistently hit a small animal further than 100 yards so it isnt like im utilizing my LPVO. I did want a 1x option which is why I didnt go with a fixed one power optic. Mine is on a Daniel Defense in 5.56 as well.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    For astigmatism, Try the new micro prisms from Vortex or Primary. Glass is very clear because fixed prism, and they are now lightweight. Only downside is they do have eye relief

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    To the OP, it will be very hard to get something not from China in that price range. Best will probably be Philippines which is a big step up. Japanese, American, and European glass is over that price range.

I would also concur with all the other posters.
    -Burris RT-6 is the best in your price range
    -That Steiner is an older model that is heavy discounted. You will be very pleased with it for that price. Amazing deal (meets your non-chinese glass goal)
    -Vortex Strike Eagle is a very high seller for your price range. Although made in China as not as good as the other two

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I did not like my ACOG's reticle for hunting/target shooting, a chevron/triangle, but the glass was awesome. It was a bad reticle for hunting and target shooting, but is what I'd prefer for defense. The RT-6 has a reticle that is good for everything, at all capable ranges of the 5.56.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Right questions
    agreed.
    I have a few with big scopes, but the rest usually wind up with a 1x red dot or low power prism. A variable does lend to best of both worlds to a degree. Red dot with a magnifier to a stronger degree if you’re working with a good QD mount.

Top Bottom