Best Sniper scope for my new Savage 10FP .308

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thomasward00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2007
    Slidell, La
    I just ordered a new Savage 10FP rifle in .308, what is the best scope that I can buy for the 200 to 250 range?

I don't hunt, but I target shoot and basically end of the world stuff...

Thanks in advance....

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    In that price range try a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40
    I know you are probably thinking Bushnell isn't that stuff for pellet guns they make decent scopes now a days. I own a Bushnell and love it. I also have a Savage .308 12FV though.

Did you get one with the removable magazine? And I like Donnie at www.BigRiverTactical.com he will take care of you.

www.bigrivertactical.com/page/page/5566193.htm if 200-250 was for your entire setup with rings and base this is the scope for you Donnis has it all.

Spanky has the 10FP in .308 there is another member here who owns the same also can't remember his name right now. http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1192&highlight=savage

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    +1 to Donnie & BRT. I bought a base, rings & sling for my 10FP from him and he was more than helpful in picking them out.

i went with the warne maxima tactical 1 piece base & TPS rings, fwiw.

the scope i'm using is a burris fullfield ii 3-9x40. i'd like to get something else but this one works just fine and it came on another rifle i purchased so i already had it and it's served it's purpose just fine thus far.

thomasward00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2007
    Slidell, La
    Whats the differerence in the 3-9X40 and the 10X40, i've heard that the 10X 40 can't zoom in? I don't know anything about scopes, please help me out guys...

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    3-9X indicates that it has a range of magnification adjustable from 3X to 9X zoom.

10X means it is a fixed 10 times magnification.

thomasward00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2007
    Slidell, La
    I would like something that is versatile, which one is? a fixed or adjustable...

Remember that I live in Slidell, not east texas, so I don't think there will be much of a chance that i'll be taking 700 or 800 yard shots, I mainly shoot at honey island which is a 100 yard range. I want a powerful but versatile scope.

Thanks in advance

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I would like something that is versatile, which one is? a fixed or adjustable...

Remember that I live in Slidell, not east texas, so I don't think there will be much of a chance that i'll be taking 700 or 800 yard shots, I mainly shoot at honey island which is a 100 yard range. I want a powerful but versatile scope.

Thanks in advance

Adjustable is more versatile. 3-9X40 is a good comon scope
    It is easy to buy too much scope for that range. Most people go overboard at first. Then they calm down roll the scope back to less power. Do a search on scopes. There are other factors like objective dia, reticle style, eye relief, exit pupil, light transnission, clarity, parallex . . . . it is a lot to take in. Mounting is important also. Target turrets may be something to consider.
    Check out the Nikons also. Bushnell Banner is not a bad scope either. Cabelas has there own line also.
    Look at some text on a page at distance - it will be easier to judge clarity.
    Your 2 strategies could be:
    1 - just get a cheap scope & get going (local chain?)
    2 - get a good enough scope that you won't outgrow it. (knowledgeable guy)
    That Donnie at Big River comes to mind.

There is also a guy in the marketplace here with a Nikon for sale.
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2516

Danny

USMC DM
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    NE Louisiana
    I have teh same rifle and just purchased a Falcom Menance from a sponsor on Sniper Hide. I should be recieving it today but I am offshore. I got it for 340 I believe Robert is reselling another order for the same price (Sorry it went up). here is the link to it.

http://www.rwsnydergunsmithing.com/secure-rwsnydergunsmithing/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=43

+1 to Donnie also I have bought several thing from him and he answered my question to get me the right stuff the 1st go around

LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    WTF is a Sniper Scope? i know that a Tactical Scope is a Strait 10 power such as the 10x40, but a sniper scope is a movie term. as for the best scope for a .308 tactical, well that depends on if you plan to use it in the field (swat etc.) or as a range gun and hunting the local wildlife. You said just to keep till Armageddon, well then put a 3x9x40 Tasco on it and let it be. 49.95 at walmart. for your application, a scope is a Sight, if it works, it works.

Formermonroehand

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Dutchtown
    I have been lurking for awhile and this is my first post, but I just got a Leupold Vari X III 4.5 x 14 x 50mm with 30mm tube and varmint reticle for my 22-250 and I love it.

thomasward00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2007
    Slidell, La
    I have teh same rifle and just purchased a Falcom Menance from a sponsor on Sniper Hide. I should be recieving it today but I am offshore. I got it for 340 I believe Robert is reselling another order for the same price (Sorry it went up). here is the link to it.

http://www.rwsnydergunsmithing.com/secure-rwsnydergunsmithing/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=43

+1 to Donnie also I have bought several thing from him and he answered my question to get me the right stuff the 1st go around

I ordered my whole setup from Donnie, actually I went with the Millet 4-16X50 Illuminated Mil dot tactical scope.

Top Bottom