Black Eyed Pea Battered Shrimp

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Nola/Baton Rouge
    Sounds a little weird, but it is great! Trust Me!

Prep takes about 30 minutes total

24 (16 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
    ¾ cup cooked black-eyed peas
    ¼ cup minced onions
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    1/8 tsp ground ginger
    2 tsbs Creole seasoning
    2 eggs
    2 ounces vegetable oil
    1 cup beer
    2 cups flour
    1 ½ tsps salt
    Vegetable oil for frying

In the bowl of a food processor, combine peas, onions, garlic, ginger and Creole seasoning. Blend 2-2 minutes on high speed or until peas are coarsely chopped. Add eggs, vegetable oil and beer. Continue to blend until peas are pureed, approximately 1-2 minutes. Add flour and salt and blend once again for 1-2 additional minutes. Pour the black-eyed pea batter into a small bowl. When ready to fry, heat vegetable oil in a fryer according to manufacturer’s directions. Dip the shrimp into the batter, allowing all excess to drain off. Gently place shrimp into the deep fryer and allow to cook until golden brown and partially floating.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Nola/Baton Rouge
    The sauce is where its at with veggies. Veggies don't worry about low cal and all that stuff. If you are eating them great. The only way you can go wrong in that dept is by drowning them in ranch dressing or frying them (which is awesome btw) My favorite is to grill veggies and stuff them into the meat you are preparingwither when you are done or having everything raw and throwin it on the pit. All the juices mix and the veggies get a better flavor that way.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Nola/Baton Rouge
    Really I don't usually go for this stuff, BUT the cookbook Deceptively Delicious is actually pretty cool. That's how my mom snuck it to us. Zucchini or Squash muffins (done almost exactly like banana nut). That is for the nutritional value, but the kids will become accustomed to the flavor of the veggies in question.

Richierich

RichieRich
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    NoLa
    Personally i hate the taste of veggies anyone who knows me can attest to this. But i find most dishes that incorporate a meat of some sort and some onions and peppers you can pile on all the veggies you want and it still tastes good. Also i like wraps just about any kind since alot have veggies in em and still taste pretty good. But like i said i cant stand veggies and this is how i get around my dis-taste for em but still find a way to tolerate eating them. Just my 2 cents ofcourse.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Nola/Baton Rouge
    Personally i hate the taste of veggies anyone who knows me can attest to this. But i find most dishes that incorporate a meat of some sort and some onions and peppers you can pile on all the veggies you want and it still tastes good. Also i like wraps just about any kind since alot have veggies in em and still taste pretty good. But like i said i cant stand veggies and this is how i get around my dis-taste for em but still find a way to tolerate eating them. Just my 2 cents ofcourse.

YES! he is totally correct I can attest to this. When we were younger he refused to eat anything that had green in it for fear it was a veggie. He is better about it now. If you can get Richie to eat it then you are on the right path lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom