Bolt Head Fishin' Thread

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Good mess of fish. Any Specks or all White?
    You're eating the Hardheads?
    The hard heads were the first things we caught, had a slow morning with all the wind. They have meat though, just like everything else.

We only caught 1 or 2 specs that were under limit. Friend of mine was fishing in another boat in another spot and he caught a few decent specs.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La

Can you recommend a decent, all around low profile baitcast? My current one pretty much crapped the bed the other day. The spool guide gets stuck on the right side, which luckily I was able to use my thumb as a sort of stop / push off to get it to half ass work for the remainder of the day.

I am looking for something around $200 or less, maybe something like a Shimano curado. I don't go fishing a whole hell of a lot, so I'm not planning on multiple rigs. I just want something that can do most things decently and have good durability.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Can you recommend a decent, all around low profile baitcast? My current one pretty much crapped the bed the other day. The spool guide gets stuck on the right side, which luckily I was able to use my thumb as a sort of stop / push off to get it to half ass work for the remainder of the day.

I am looking for something around $200 or less, maybe something like a Shimano curado. I don't go fishing a whole hell of a lot, so I'm not planning on multiple rigs. I just want something that can do most things decently and have good durability.
    If I were in the market for an all-around casting reel, low profile, about $200:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024950615?pid=723386

If you were looking for a reel more on the finesse side of things, look to BFS reels. They're geared toward casting lighter tackle:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023619841?pid=249419

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    If I were in the market for an all-around casting reel, low profile, about $200:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024950615?pid=723386

If you were looking for a reel more on the finesse side of things, look to BFS reels. They're geared toward casting lighter tackle:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023619841?pid=249419
    Well, now I'm torn between the tranx and the curado MGL

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Well, now I'm torn between the tranx and the curado MGL

Whichever you choose, confirm that it's approved for saltwater. There are a few Shimano reels that are for freshwater only.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Whichever you choose, confirm that it's approved for saltwater. There are a few Shimano reels that are for freshwater only.
    Found it on sale too
    3d4231ba47af8b73152acc5968059740.jpg

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Keeps me company on the nightstand every night
    If you would, let me know how the Tranx performs for you. That jighead on the spinner frame you were throwing at the Reds will almost certainly pair well with that reel, and handle Reds with ease. Fine choice!

Top Bottom