Bought a trap thrower... Not impressed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G

gunguy11

So I bought a do-it-all outdoor white wing trap thrower from cabelas last night.
    Brought it out back to try it out today.
    The construction seems solid and the price was fair.
    The first thing I noticed that the thrower does is jumps/shakes very hard when the arm is released. This causes it to change throwing direction. So without stakes just putting it on the ground is out.
    It also broke more clays than it threw :/.
    Out of 25 clays (a full set) it broke 15. With only 12 in the stack it broke 7.
    Will contact the manufacter tomorrow.
    Anyone else here have one of these. Any problems?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    You're facing common issues with clay throwers.

You have to adjust the machine tension and clay holder etc.

In my experience each thrower has to be tweeked in order to not break clays. Powerful throwers that don't weigh 300 lbs are going to shake. Stake it.

G

gunguy11

Thanks man. I tried To google this and see if anyone had this problem and had a way
    Of fixing it.
    I can tighten the spring up some and loosen it a little.
    There is a holder in the front that seems to be the problem. It doesn't feed correctly I'm assuming. I'm gonna try to find the old steel stakes that they used for tents.

LArhino

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ruston
    I purchased one and had the same problem. I purchased some 2 X 6 boards and bolted the thrower to them. It increased the footprint of the thrower and added some weight which helped keep it from jumping around so much. The only problem I have now is it will break the last one when it tries to feed to the arm. As long as I do not let the stack get down to one, I do not have any problems.

G

gunguy11

Awesome! Thanks man. I have some spare 2x4 I can try to use!!

bayoulife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I had the exact same problem with the same brand. Purchased brand new at cabelas in gonzales. Contacted the manufacturer after breaking 90% of the clays thrown. Manufacturer gave instructions that i followed exactly to only have it break just as many clays. My advice is bring it back and go with another brand.

stevens311

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    i had to build a small skid and bolt my thrower to that, then i put sand bags to weigh it down, biggest problem is cheap clays will not work in that powerful machine, u have to use better quality like WHITE FLYERS ( wal mart sells them), i dont have any break anymore and we shoot more than the average person

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    You might also try rigging it to an old spare tire. It's heavy and recycling! We've done it in the past. Just a pain to store

Also try turning the tension spring down, the pressure may be crushing the cheap clays

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Nothing beats the good old fashioned hand thrower:
    ez-throw-large.jpg

G

gunguy11

Sorry I didn't see anyone responded to it. I called the customer service line and spoke with a tech. Apparently this is a common problem with this model. They said they could give me a refund for the purchase amount if the store wouldn't or I could try my own methods at getting it to stop since there was no sure way to fix this.
    I only bought one of these so I could get a good idea of how fast they actually fly from a thrower. I will just continue to throw them by hand.

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I would try to tweak and make it work if I were you that is if you feel like keeping an electric thrower and don't miss the $300 or whatever you paid. You could get industrious, if you shoot at the same place all the time, and build a little thrower shed with power and an inverter to run the thing. That might be fun?

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Then you could put out a squirrel feeder in clay's trajectory then convert the launcher to be wireless, like with a garage door clicker, sit inside and shoot pigeons at squirrels all day.

G

gunguy11

Lmao. Wow if I had your imagination I may have kept it!! Lol.
    Instead I bought 3 red throwers like you showed above and will just use those.

101guns

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Monroe, LA
    I do not move mine too often, except to mow around it. I welded it to a tractor tire rim. It does not wobble now and i can move it much easier than having to pull up large stakes and then have to re-hammer them in july and August, sun-baked dirt.

alfman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    winchester,ky
    breaking clays

I had the exact same problem with the same brand. Purchased brand new at cabelas in gonzales. Contacted the manufacturer after breaking 90% of the clays thrown. Manufacturer gave instructions that i followed exactly to only have it break just as many clays. My advice is bring it back and go with another brand.

I had the same problem it would break or crack clays in the stack. I took a piece of 3/4 inch pvc conduit and slid over front 2 tubes and this eliminated the target breakage almost completely. Now it might break one in 100 clays.
    couple weekends ago we trowed approx 1000 targets and only broke mabe 10. I now ordered another trower and will do this when i put it together as I know it works well. Hope this info will help anyone having this problem.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    2012 really?

i had the same problem it would break or crack clays in the stack. I took a piece of 3/4 inch pvc conduit and slid over front 2 tubes and this eliminated the target breakage almost completely. Now it might break one in 100 clays.
    Couple weekends ago we trowed approx 1000 targets and only broke mabe 10. I now ordered another trower and will do this when i put it together as i know it works well. Hope this info will help anyone having this problem.

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    So I bought a do-it-all outdoor white wing trap thrower from cabelas last night.
    Brought it out back to try it out today.
    The construction seems solid and the price was fair.
    The first thing I noticed that the thrower does is jumps/shakes very hard when the arm is released. This causes it to change throwing direction. So without stakes just putting it on the ground is out.
    It also broke more clays than it threw :/.
    Out of 25 clays (a full set) it broke 15. With only 12 in the stack it broke 7.
    Will contact the manufacter tomorrow.
    Anyone else here have one of these. Any problems?

I bought this one recently.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104769180;cat104269680
    It works very well, and has been on the market since the 1920's I've learned. Hardly ever breaks a clay, and throws them fast. Real convenient being able to activate it with your foot.
    Originally bought this one, trying to get by cheaply.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104769180;cat104269680
    It broke a lot of clays, they flew too slow, and it broke after about 500 clays.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom